Specular and Rain reflections on different mapping channels (Track Features)

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by ethone, Apr 13, 2012.

1. ethone

ethone Registered

Please put the specular stage and the rain reflections of the Real Road material on a different mapping channel. Currently it is mapped to Channel 1 (the same channel as the diffuse stage).

The current setup makes it nigh-impossible to properly map two meeting pieces of differently textures road. Using a different mapping channel would allow us to map the spec and/or rain reflectivity stages across the edge seamlessly.

2. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Specular map is using map channel 2 not 1 :) (the same as multi map), but I agree with you, every single map should have different map channel.

3. ethone

ethone Registered

I might be misremembering but in any case I mean the specularity that comes from the alpha channel of the diffuse map, which is the inverse of the rain reflectivity.

4. blakboks

blakboks Registered

+1 It's cool to keep EITHER the rain reflection or the Spec map as the alpha of the diffuse, but another stage/channel should probably be added somewhere for the other. (i.e. Keep rain reflections as the alpha, but add a stage for Spec so we can have color or grayscale Spec maps.)

5. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

There is already a separate RGB spec map stage. Don't confuse the spec map with the spec mask :) .

6. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Ahh...right...sorry i haven't touched RealRoad in a couple of months...work is getting in the way :(

7. feels3

@Luc

I have a question about RealRoad shader :)

At the moment specular map and multi map are sharing the same mapping channel.
    Can we expect in near future that it will be unlocked?

I would like to have spec and multi map in different channel.

8. Luc Van Camp

I don't know, honestly. I suppose this is something that can be looked at when we are happy with the graphics and have no important things left on our wish list :) .

9. feels3

Ok, I understand.

It would be nice to have a choice with mapping channel :)

Look at my multi map. It's very big and it's different than on ISI's tracks, but it gives more irregularity to road, and completely reduce textures repeating but unfortunatly multi map is sharing mapping channel with specular map and in this case, spec map also must very big.

Standard spec map is stretched to multimap's size, white dots from spec map are very big and generate very bright reflections and I have to reduce specular power to minimum, but then road surface looks more flat.
    I did my own spec map, similar to multimap but still I'm not happy with reflections.

If we could have spec and multi maps on different channels we could have both, nice reflections and irregular main road.
    In combination with main diffuse texture it could give us very good looking and realistic road surface:)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
  10. Radar

Radar Registered

Would be nice to see this 'bumped up' the wish list, only because people building tracks now will only need to update them again in the future to be as what Feels says 'good looking and realistic road surface'

When making a track it's the one thing we want, something realistic.

11. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

this is stupid, pre-paint realroad layer and it is manifested. The machine itself should draw on the surface, scraps of rubber, slip, draw on the road and reheat these places ... I just really sad how stupid works realroad ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. feels3

Couldn't find my old thread, so I'll write it here.

I noticed that now normal map in real road shader can share the same mapping coordinates as specular and detail map.

It was good move. Thanks

13. Luc Van Camp

Yeah, I'll have to document the shader changes *SOON* (there have been a few to the Real Road Shader :) ).