I need help! I can't drive!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nickbalti, Apr 9, 2012.

1. B00Ts-SA

B00Ts-SA Registered

Thank you all for the great posts make so much sense. I have stopped practicing until I get the NIXIM brake and clutch mod (only really interested in the BRAKE mod which is a spring and make it feel like load cell peddle also not that expensive ) for my G27 peddles.

I would do one to three consistent laps if I was lucky. What was happening judging my braking points was fine but the judging of the brake peddle is on movement not on pressure as in a real car, so the faster my lap times got the worst my braking, locking brakes to much movement to little movement and so on. There was just no consistency.

So I search the internet and with out laying out to much money they recommend the NIXIM mod for the feel of pressure braking. I will report back as soon as I tested it or if any one as used them please let us know if you where more consistent.

2. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

hey thank you for this i purchased that book because of you ;). Im currently at a plateau. I developed a bad habit by left foot braking 100% of the time so im trying to brake that habit and going to focus on heel toe now.

Im not sure if this was recommended yet but using the motec plugin and motec software (WITH THE GUIDES) i learned some useful stuff Im like you nick still learning but you will get better and remember have fun although there are times you are going to want to rip the steering wheel off LOL ;)

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

That book helped me tremendously. And the other book, Tune To Win, is another huge help once you get the basics down. Carroll Smith has a handful of indispensable racing books. Drive To Win, Tune To Win and the other I can't remember the name of. Drive To Win also has a list of recommended books at the end.

I am not a book worm! Just the opposite- I can't sit down and read if there's a gun to my head. But I was having trouble learning to drive a virtual race car so I forced myself to.

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Check these out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20zzTYJT48M&feature=player_embedded#!

5. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

Jackie will help you!

the iracing (oh no) videos seem very indepth too, ive been meaning to go over them again.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD5C6691B97E2CBFA&feature=plcp

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012
  6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Something more practical you may find helpful is to hop onto a server at a track you know in a car you know with someone you know to faster than you. Both of you use Teamspeak or Mumble or something like it and run laps together. In an hour of that you will learn more than a day's worth of solo running. I love to run with someone faster and be on TS- it's a great way to learn.

7. RitterWolf

RitterWolf Registered

I don't know that there are neccessarily bad habits when it comes to the pedals apart from applying them incorrectly (too hard, wrong time, wrong pedal, etc.)

I did try to heel and toe but it just wasn't working for me, so instead I took my inspiration from Greg Murphy; I flat-shift going up gears, and left-foot brake coming down.

Practice is the big thing. I for one am far too slow on the turns.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

yes ritterwolf if you left foot brake then you just blip with your right foot, so no heel toeing there, but your still blipping (unless you have autoblip on of course)

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Where u set up autoblip? Im not sure if I have it.
    thnx nikos

10. Maug

Maug Registered

It should be in the PLR file (profile file).

11. RitterWolf

RitterWolf Registered

Yeah, I blip the the throttle. The Meganes do it for you, so I don't bother for them.

12. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Well I think I'm improving!

Just managed a 3.57 around Spa in an F2!! Is that any good?

13. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Wow Moulton!
    Thanks for the links! I didn't even know such books existed!

Thanks very much!

14. BasJon

BasJon Registered

One thing I will add is I am suprised at alot of new racers who use there pedals as switches rather than axis pedals, I am often online racing with my dad and talking on ts to help him and I am always hearing him after braking and exiting a corner his right foot goes straight back down to full gas start learning to evenly apply pressure on both pedals :)

15. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Great tip! And I recognise that name :D

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

BasJon I am a dad too,
    it took me a very long time (still havent got it) to supress my life experience that when u press the brake pedal u feel the discs, and when u press the gas pedal u feel the vibration of the engine. As for clutch, after the initial resistance theres a dead place that lets u know that all is ok.
    So, go easy on your dad please?

say hello to dad for me, nikos:)

P.S. perhaps dad would like to come to F3s @ Spa = Fun" server? There's plenty of dads there!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  17. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Your very welcome nick :) and I do try to go easy on him nikos, and I know its a hard slow learning curve for the more mature racers, as I have been helping him since 2008 playing rF1, and I shall say you said hello and ask if he would like to come in your fun server, and I may join in the fun too :) as I am also a Dad :)

18. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Dad's and people in the age of being a dad (talking about me) ;)

Nikos, saw you yesterday on SPA, you were doing quite clean and tidy racing, the best way to learn, taking it easy and then going to find the limits of the car.

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

So its two generations already and we are waiting for the third! Things move quick!

Gorgias I am at least 15 seconds off pace so, really glad you all tolerate me:)

20. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

It took me a while to learn this. I actually read one book (it was garbage) that said the gas pedal should be either fully on or fully off. LOL, I checked out the author's history and he had only won a couple GT races and never won a championship. That was Ross Bentley and that book set me back a little bit in developing as a driver. Always consider your source!

If anyone is interested, I can set up a server and we can find a TS3 channel to use and have a development race session to help each other out. I've done this before in a league and we went over how to use MOTEC to develop setups mainly but everyone found it very interesting. We just need to come up with a time.