[REL] Top Gear TT - Dunsfold Aerodrome (Multi Layout)

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Tuttle, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I can have a go at the cams, I did do a few cameras for some of the old rfactor MMM Aussie v8 tracks. Bathurst, Hidden Valley and Symons Plains. Maybe more but cant remember which tracks I did lol.

I haven't done anything recently and haven't done anuthing with rf2 in dev mode. I haven't even put a track into dev mode yet so not sure what's needed for that, as that was the easiest way of getting started with the cams.

Maybe if I could get a version of the track that can easily get put into dev mode I should be able to set some cams to try and match the top gear locations within a week.

Being a figure 8 track activation points may be a bit of an issue but I did find some ways around this in the past so hope its easy enough to work around it.

I do love this track so thanks heaps Tuttle for your awesome work, getting some cams to try match those in the show would add to the tracks atmosphere I think. I'd be glad to help a little if I can.

2. Hazi

Hazi Registered

3. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Give this man what he needs please.

4. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Thanks that should get me started.

Edit:

I also used this tutorial here http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/9232-How-to-get-a-track-into-developer-mode combined with the other link its a great way to get a track into dev mode.

I have however run into a pretty big stumbling block as it appears Dunsfold_GMTs and Dunsfold_Maps are encrypted MAS files. GMT MAS utility cant extract these saying Unknown MAS key. This means I cant get the track into dev mode or into 3d simed in order to get co-ordinates for the camera locations. I dont have 3Ds max either anymore but still without being able to extract these files I dont know how else to get the track into any program that can let me get the co-ordinates for the cameras locations.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2013
  5. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Hey Martymoose. Thanks for your help and sorry for the late response.

Btw, you don't need to open any GMT/MAP files in other apps nor putting the track in 3dsimed or max. You need just to put the track in devmode as it is, and create cams using the devmode itself. Main track files aren't encrypted so you can just add a cam file. I guess this should work fine.

If you need some helps please contact me at tuttle @ entropyxel.com

Thanks again. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
  6. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Lol thanks surprised I didnt try that but as I used 3Dsimed in the past for my cameras (manually setting locations for cams and then basic txt file editing to fine tune them later) I only used devmode for AIW's before in RF1 and with RF2 its all new to me still lol. I assumed you also needed to decrypt all files as they are in the Joesville example track, good to know that as I may work on a few AIW files for other tracks too if its that easy to put tracks into dev mode.

I assume you can just add the cam or AIW files back into the main locations directory later to try them in the regular game modes?

7. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I guess you'll get mismatches if you put extra files in the main \rFactor2\Installed\.. folder but you can do this in devmode without any problem. :)

8. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I have set all the cam locations in pretty much the same place as the top gear TV cams. Just need a bit of work on activations and the crossover is the tricky bit as you actually drive one the exact same patch of road a fair bit. I think best solution here is to have it as 2 cam sets with all cams and the crossover from the first part in set one and set 2 will have the other crossover cams.

As the locations here are pretty critical if you wan pt a reply to have that top gear look to it. Its the camera locations that most people are most familiar with on this track, many first time drivers even if familiar to the show will be a bit lost from the in car view lol.

The dev mode cam editor is quite useful with lots of options for the cams I am still playing with, but setting activation points and locations is a bit tedious and slow. Plus o had the program crash with over an hours activation points lost lol. Need to save the file more often after that initial mistake.

Much quicker in a program like 3ds max or even 3dsimed but getting the actual cams in view in realtime is a big plus for setting up angles and zoom to match the BBC footage.

Putting the cam file directly into the dunsfold folder in the main game section didn't work. Not a huge issue but I will sort this out so I can also make a video showing the cams once done. For some reason my driving sucks in the dev mode so I will try and do this in the regular mode later.

I was hoping for this method so that others could just get the cam file and run it along with the current version with no issues online. If that's not possible I will need to make sure i get it as good as possible and Tuttle can add to the next verision of the track if it works well enough that is.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
  9. tjc

tjc Registered

Good stuff martymoose...

Well done so far. :)

10. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Here is the first attempt at some cameras for this great track by Tuttle in a little 2 lap preview vid showing both camera sets. The handheld cams are a bit shaky maybe the BBC cameraman are big drinkers or I need to fine tune some settings lol.

Cam packs 1 and 2 are needed as the track is a figure 8 shape there is no other way to set most of the angles used on the TV show that I know of, I also added a few other locations as most top gear videos cut to onboard a few times a lap. I tried to make both camera sets still useable but for the top gear type look its best to start with cams1 and then switch to 2 just before the follow through.

Driving is AI stig and I think he also went out for some beers before the laps along with the cameramen lol. As I cant use the cams in the regular mode only devmode with which I only have the not quite right trainer car that I suck at driving lol I left the driving to AI stig here.

Video should be up in a few minutes as its still uploading.

11. tjc

tjc Registered

Video is still unavailable... hopefully it`ll be up soon. :)

12. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Took forever to upload for some reason lol, but just finished. :)

13. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

camera man is drunk for sure xD cool cameras. some are too far away for too long but even those are not bad

14. martymoose

martymoose Registered

There arent all that many cameras used by top gear, They mostly just have cams in the corners and use a fair bit of onboard stuff or just cut out the longer straight sections in the slower cars.

I will tweak the activations for a few of them as they arent quite cut properly yet and maybe add one or 2 more cams in there somewhere. I will try and figure out what all the other cam options are and how they work,as there is plenty I dont understand in the cam editor still lol. The shaky cams are good if its much more subtle but the dev mode is rather unstable for me and has crashed out quite a bit which is a little annoying as the game itself has never crashed on me.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Good work!
    Looking forward to this, will get back to using this track then

(-;

16. tjc

tjc Registered

Definitely a good start mm but lay off the bottle lol... :D

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

tjc

hows it going ? any news ...... pretty please (-;

18. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

If you can't get him to lay off the bottle, just get two people to help hold him steady.. then the cams will be acceptable.
    Every time cams wobble, we will know it wasn't your fault.
    You did what you could.

19. tjc

tjc Registered

Erm... not with you here Mr. stealth...

Hows what going? The cams?

I know nothing more than you mate... mm is the man to ask. :)

(If your not on about the cams then I`m lost lol)

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

sorry tjc its the good martymoose thats on the case

drunk camera men is fine in my books, anything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.