GTX 680 - Post opinions on performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bart S, Mar 22, 2012.

1. djt

djt Registered

I’m not sure how when the triple buffering option in AMD/ATI’s CCC also only works with OpenGL games unless of course the DirectX game does actually have a triple buffering option.

2. HKF0x

HKF0x Registered

Yea, you are right catalyst control center only allow triple buffering for OpenGL games.
    I used ati tray tool for force TB on d3d games, but radeon pro do it also.
    For nvidia, i just saw DXTweaker and D3DOverrider can do it as well.
    I don't know why nvidia and amd don't add it to their drivers menus, many people report a smoother gameplay when using it.

3. djt

djt Registered

I’ve used D3DOverrider with Nvidia GPU’s and Radeon Pro with ATI’s cards in the past with mixed results. Lately I’ve been only using SoftTH to force triple buffering on DirectX games and it’s been the most successful method for me so far.

4. Bart S

Bart S Member

Ok so i just did my benchmark and got:
    Low : 4fps
    Avg : 10fps
    Hi : 20fps
    This was with hdr on, had a massive impact on fps turned it off and got:
    Low : 20fps
    Avg : 28fps
    Hi : 36fps
    This concludes my theory of vram being a major factor on hires rendering in rfactor. Conclusion I need a new card fast.
    Anybody with a 7970 and eyefinity can do this test please, benchmark settings are in one of my previous posts.

5. bmwmaster

bmwmaster Registered

Hi,

i also have an 680 gtx running tripple screen (4960x1600) with softth.

Same behavior for me, large performance drop with HDR on.
    With HDR off everything ist fine and smooth.

I had an 7970 before and can say that the 680 gtx is much better than the ATI card. RF2 is much better optimized for Nvidia Cards.
    Never would change back from an 680 gtx to an 7970 thats the wrong way.

Just turn HDR off and enjoy your 680 gtx..............you will cry when you switch to 7970 ;-)

Maybe the drop is driver based and will be updated with next driver or build.

6. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I'm thinking of getting the GTX 680 4GB (or maybe 2 of them) when they come out so have benched my current setup for posterity and comparison purposes, same settings as your bench suggestion on the previous page where possible (I left the in-car mirror on and have TrackIR running too)... res 5910x1200, so more pixels... and am running 2x GTX580 @ 3GB each (see specs supplied).

1st figure is AA OFF in game but App controlled in NCP and injected SMAA (dx9) @ High
    2nd figure is AA OFF in game but forced to 8x in NCP and no injected SMAA (dx9)

HDR Off
    Low : 50fps / 58fps
    Avg : 79fps / 86fps
    Hi : 152fps / 125fps
    Max VRAM in use during lap: 1413MB / 1957MB

HDR On
    Low: 52fps / 45fps
    Avg: 70fps / 65fps
    Hi : 92fps / 89fps
    VRAM: 1458MB / 2466MB (max in use during lap)

I have found IMHO that the SMAA @ high is approx the same looking as MSAA forced on 8x, but these results show me that the FPS are comparable on both SMAA and MSAA with HDR on, the interesting thing for me is that much less VRAM is used by the SMAA during post processing compared to MSAA during pre processing... thus favouring SMAA for lower VRAM cards as the AA method of choice.

I didn't see an FXAA seting on your bench settings, so I had it off.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
  7. Bart S

Bart S Member

No I removed FXAA as it is a little confusing to the benchmarking.
    Thank you very much for your input guys.
    It helps us all know what to expect and target our upgrades better.

8. taufikp

taufikp Registered

IMO, rF2's internal FXAA should not be used together with other anti-aliasing except in-game anti-aliasing function. Otherwise the end result might be blurry images and dropped performance.

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

With my 7950 and your settings and HDR on and FXAA enabled, I had 56 FPS sitting on the grid in 21st place.

How do you drive at 24FOV? lol. That was just weird.

Since ISI isnt' asking for any of this I can only assume that they know alot more than they are saying. Don't forget when we bought into this they didn't guarantee any performance. I'm positive things will get ironed out when gold is released, whenever that is.

1920x1080

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  10. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Well, not at all actually.

I used to drive with 50 FOV. Then 'moved' to 30 FOV, and brought my monitor closer. Now, I'm using 24 FOV, and my monitor is even closer. Pair this with head tracker such as FaceTrackNoIR or TrackIR and the immersion level is increased (for me at least). In my case, the immersion is deeper than any of my previous sim racing experience.

Hmmm using head tracker and goggle like Sony HMZ could be the winner setup for me... :rolleyes:

11. Bart S

Bart S Member

With eyefinity an fov 24 looks most correct to me , i can also see further , position my car better and various other stuff. Mathematically correct to true life too.

12. bmwmaster

bmwmaster Registered

Can you please tell me how i can calculate the math correct FOV for my config ?

My resolution is 4960x1600

Center ccreen 30" 2560x1600
    Side screens 2x 20" 1200x1600 in Portrait orientation

13. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Running with a high fov distorts perception, objects arent shaped and/or positioned in 3dspace properly. Elevations in the road appear flat and corners dont look right.

With that said, low fov on a single monitor can be a bummer, especially if you dont use some form of tracking.

14. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

I dont know if it will work properly with mixed monitor sizes. Either way you use the center monitor to determine the fov. Heres a link to a post explaining it. you just need to read the part explaining what to measure. The comparison vids might be interesting too(especially for those who think theres nothing wrong with high fov)
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...rFactor-FOV-Tutorial?p=311&viewfull=1#post311

15. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Just For Info, I race at 24 or 25 FOV too :)

16. MKD

MKD Registered

And the gtx 280 had 512 so that really isn't an issue

17. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Here's a triangle calculator that can be used to calculate your in game FOV. Basically, between our eyes and the monitor, the shape is very similar to a triangle. You just need to measure the distance from top of monitor and bottom of monitor to your eye position, and also measure the height (vertically, not diagonally) of your monitor, since rFactor uses vertical FOV. Enter those values in the 'side' input fields, and you'll get the angle calculated. This triangle calculator is unit-less. It really doesn't matter if you are entering inch or cm, as long as you don't mix it.

edit:
    Here's the picture of the calculator, and how we should use it:

[​IMG]
    FOV calculator by simfactor

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  18. MKD

MKD Registered

Haa almost same for me.... have 6970 right now and 3d monitors.. STUPID adapters... 100$ US two for AMD 1 for 680.. and I get my 3D SURROUND back ... I will never cross the line again... BYE BYE AMD, my 680 will be here with the waterblocks tomorrow!

19. Bart S

Bart S Member

MKD u sound like a crazy obsessive, but then i know u just passion for sim racing. I am still brtween 7970 and 680 i think 7970 has slight more potential mathematically. But as alway depends on drivers, i know i could get a wopper overclock from a 7970 but 680 not so sure. Still may wait for 680 4gb 2mths a wopper track could hit 3gb i think in ultra and mega wide screen. Still not seen a 7970 benched at 5760+ x 1080 and at max oc. Its such a hard choice especially cos i aint plannin on 3d any time soon and eyefinity is flawless IMO. I will wait 2 week see how i feel or maybe 2 month haha

20. steve30x

steve30x Registered

The GTX680 Overclocks like crazy too.