GTX 680 - Post opinions on performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bart S, Mar 22, 2012.

1. djt

djt Registered

I think you should cut down on the speed reading and take a closer look at the info provided in the link you supplied, lol. It says 4GB of system memory is recommended for 64-bit operating systems not a 4GB version of the GTX 680 -

"MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Operating System

• Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit

Motherboard

• SLI motherboard is required for all SLI configurations. NVIDIA recommends a PCI-E 2.0 x16 motherboard for the best performance. Please make sure you have updated your motherboard SBIOS to the latest version.

• NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295 and GeForce GTX 590 cards do not require an SLI motherboard and work on all compatible motherboards.

System Memory

• 2GB is required (4GB is recommended for 64-bit operating systems"

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
  2. Spyder

Spyder Registered

^^^ ... and you could try reading a whole thread buddy, we've already covered that one and had a laugh with Bart about it!

3. Spyder

Spyder Registered

@Taufikp : I'll see what I can do for you mate, I have the whole day off work today, meant to be a glorious sunny day in the UK but don't worry I'll be holed up in the man cave making the most of it with the blinds closed!

@Bart : A lot of the time the 580s are awesome in most games but with RF2 I get the most ridiculous stutters. I also get micro stuttering in iracing (which is my main sim tbh, shhhh!!) and have to resort to using vsync in it to eliminate them which isn't ideal given the slight input lag that induces. Then there's the tweaking and waiting for new drivers that inevitably occurs when a new game releases that hasn't been tested with sli properly... If I could get decent performance from 1 gpu in triple screen then even if it meant less performance than I get from my 580s I'd be willing to make the sacrifice for less headaches and fiddling in inf files, profiles etc...

... 680 and displayport adaptor are out for delivery and due to arrive at my door between 12 and 1pm according to the couriers website ;)

4. HKF0x

HKF0x Registered

You tried enable triple buffering in your nvidia control panel ? It can help for input lag when vsync is enabled.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794/2

For resume :

5. Spyder

Spyder Registered

6. Bart S

Bart S Member

Spyder hows the GTX 680? has it arrived, are you driving? Too busy to give us the goss.

7. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Tests results so far ...

HDR and FXAA turned on, max settings apart from Shadows at Medium and road/environment reflections turned off as they were giving me problems with SLI when benchmarking last night. All tests at Mills in the megane starting at the back of the grid.

1920x1080p :

Single gtx 580 - 20 AI - Min 62 Max 117
    No AI - Min 81 Max 142

SLI gtx 580s - 20 AI - Min 121 Max 173
    No AI - Min 160 Max 263

Single gtx 680 - 20 AI - Min 95 Max 148
    No AI - Min 126 Max 212

6050x1080p

SLI gtx 580s - 20 AI - Min 48 Max 87
    No AI - Min 68 Zmax 100

Single gtx 680 - 20 AI - Min 45 Max 72
    No AI - Min 55 Max 83

... Whilst there's the obvious loss in frames switching from the 580s to a single 680 the stuttering is a distant memory, very happy about that! Best of all I'm getting outstanding performance in iracing, up from 200fps to 270fps using the same settings in triple screens :)

8. Spyder

Spyder Registered

@Taufkp : Monaco with Megane, AA level 8, HDR + FXAA and all settings maxed in game, 1920x1080p

20 AI - Min 45 Max 113
    No AI - Min 70 Max 141

9. Bart S

Bart S Member

Hmmm, I will try run the same test to see what my results are later tonight.
    My test will be based on :-
    System = windows 7 64 bit home premium
    RAM = 4GB oc to 1600mhz
    Processor = Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
    Card = 5870 1GB with OC Core 1000mhz , Memory 1225 mhz x 4 = 4990 mhz

Resolution = 5920 x 1080p & Full Screen Mode
    HDR = on
    Multiview = off (even if you can leave off for Benching, ruins ATI HDR effect)
    Sync = none
    AA Settings = ingame off ( setup for MLAA x8 box in CCC or nV-CP )
    Anistrophy = x16 in game
    Circuit Detail = Full
    Player Detail = Full
    Opponent Detail = High <- notice this
    Texture Detail = Full
    Texture Filter = x16 Anisotropic
    Special FX = Full
    Shadows = Medium
    Movies = off
    Sun Occlusion = on
    Rain Drops = off
    Road Reflections = off
    Enviro Reflections = off
    Wind Crowd Motion = off

Visible Vehicles = 20
    View = cockpit
    Mirrors = off ( this can affect FPS noticibly )
    wheel = off
    FOV = 24 ( this can affect FPS noticibly )

Audio num of effects = 32

Track = Mills
    Cars = Megane
    AI Drivers = 20
    grid start = 20th
    weather = sunny
    Start Time = 12 noon

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
  10. Spyder

Spyder Registered

I had no AA just FXAA so will re run a test to your specs if you like Bart? I also had mirrors, sun occlusion and moving crowd on, not sure how much difference they make...

11. Bart S

Bart S Member

@Spyder before you do any test look over my settings in just a sec I will be modifying them and we will set the benchmarking standard from that, I will choose what is most preferable for most people. When we think we got it right we will open up a new thread for benchmarking rFactor2 and hopefully help out ISI with an easy to analyse data gathering source.

12. djt

djt Registered

Unless a DirectX game specifically has a triple buffering option the triple buffering option in the Nvidia control panel is only used for OpenGL applications which rFactor is obviously not.

13. djt

djt Registered

How is the super-sampling AA performance?

UPS should be dropping off my GTX 680 any minute now.

14. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Probably no more benching for me until tomo now, fiancée needs some looking after :( !!

15. djt

djt Registered

Lol, mine doesn’t come over until tomorrow night so I’m free of any distractions, problem is I’m doing a clean OS install for testing with the GTX 680 and probably won’t get to install any sims/games until later in the week.

Any way so far the new card has made it through the Windows install and on to service pack 1. One thing that I noticed right away is how much smaller (shorter) the GTX 680 looks compared to the GTX 580.

16. taufikp

taufikp Registered

@Spyder thanks for the result. And you were running that with graphic details on maximum setting! Awesome result I must say. Now I'm tempted to buy it :) Hmm, I guess I'll make my PC runs much cooler first, then give it some overclocking therapy :)

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Just wanted to let everyone know, and this is backed up by many forum posts and even actual computer sites that trifire/3xsli eliminates 90-95% ish of the stutters associated with xfire/sli.

Trifire/3xsli also has excellent scaling from all the info I've read and I've been researching this for many months, its only when you go to quadfire/4xsli that the scaling sometimes goes really south.

So basically either go single card or triple.

The cheapest way to probably do this is to buy a dual gpu card and then add a single gpu card.

Damn I shouldn't have sold my HD 6990, could have just added a 6970 or 6950 to that and I would have been golden with high frame, stutter free trifire.

18. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Well I think it's good in comparison to other gpu's in RF2 but overall this sims graphical performance still requires a lot of work. I ran Skyrim last night everything maxed with about 20 graphics mods installed and saw frames ranging from 85-370 with an average of around 170!! Also managed to run F12011 in triple screen, 8xMSAA and ultra settings and averaged 62 fps .... I know we're still in beta but RF2 currently leaves a lot to be desired when you start comparing those kind of results.

19. HKF0x

HKF0x Registered

Hmm, thx for the clarification, i dont knew about nvidia.
    With ati cards, triple buffer helped me with steering lag on d3d games.

20. djt

djt Registered

I must have speed read a little too fast through this thread and missed it.