GTX 680 - Post opinions on performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bart S, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Bart S

Bart S Member

Ok race fans the day of reconing has arrived the green team has finally release there new kepler model, I dont have one yet as I have decided to go for a new build instead from ground up I got me a 2700k that will easily do 4.8Ghz.

Just so we can work out the performance improvment or increase/decrease.

We need to keep this as a fair test comparison with settings so your previous rfactor 2 settings need to roll over onto the new card settings, keeping everything the same such as shadows, weather, refections, screen resolution, number of cars on track. The test is probably best done in single player mode with 20 AI starting at the back of the grid.

Please post your findings in following format :

Resolution : 1920 x 1080
    Track : Spa
    Car : Spark F1
    Num of AI : 20

Previous card : GTX 580
    FPS lowest : 25 Highest : 75

New card : GTX 680
    FPS lowest : 25 Highest : 75

2. Bart S

Bart S Member

Ya know what it doesn't look like much init between AMD v nVidia in triple screen performance at hi res they both seam to average the same, infact to be honest looking past all the nVidia fanboy vs AMD fanboys I'd actually say AMD has won the fight this year because they have 4 month on nVidia and they will drop the price of the 7970 over the next few week they will play it out first to see what happens before they drop. But it seams like nVidia is the clear winner for lower res or single screen, with AMDs 4 month advantage I'd say they won this year but that depends on the effect of a 680 with 4gb or if they release another car within a few month that they ranks the same in there army as the 7970. Either way I think the sales AMD would of racked up in the first 3 month outweight what nVidia can regain.
    The true test now is how much better is nVidia than AMD at rFactor will it be better suited, single screen or triple screen. TBH I think the hype of nVidia expectations has been short lived this year unless there is another card in the pipeline the gk110 will be the 7970 rank in nVidias line up.

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Reading all the amd vs nvidea stuff will drive you nuts. :p

4. Spyder

Spyder Registered

For the first time ever I agree with Cdnracer! I think you're worrying too much over all this Bart... And definitely no point in making a purchase based on RF2 performance until the software is out of beta by which time there'll be many more options than there are now...

5. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

The card looks really nice (performance-wise) from the full review at Guru3D.
    What's even nicer and free is the 301.10 driver with modded .inf.
    It gave me a nice boost in framerate for my 500 series card...and no, it won't install without the modded inf.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You are talking about single screen. ? mmmm

I have 4/.5GHz Sandy and superoverclock GTX570
    1920 @maximum settings never seen anything like 25fps.

Could you post exact settings on both game and NVCP, track, time of day etc.
    I must be missing some quality settings somewhere..........

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You are talking about single screen. ? mmmm

I have 4/.5GHz Sandy and superoverclock GTX570
    1920 @maximum settings never seen anything like 25fps.

Could you post exact settings on both game and NVCP, track, time of day etc.
    I must be missing some quality settings somewhere..........

edit: Sorry you do run 3 screens .......doh specs supplied.
    How does single run if you do not mind please.

8. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

Resolution : 1920 x 1080
    Track : Spa
    Car : Spark F1
    Num of AI : 28
    Maximum settings, FXAA 6 and HDR.

System : GTX 470 AMP and Intel Core I5 2500@3.3GHz 4GB RAM DDR3
    FPS lowest : 32 Highest : 85

I think something's wrong with rF2 :D

9. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

from what I'm hearing and seeing the new 680 is less powerful and slower than the 580... it basically looks like an overclocked 570.

10. mavericckk

mavericckk Registered

you need more CPU . i have gtx 560 and phenon II 720 3200 and need more cpu too

11. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
  12. Spyder

Spyder Registered

That's funny!! I guess you're hearing and seeing that the 7970 is slower than a 6970 too??

13. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

why don't you explain to me why the 580 is 384bit and the 680 is 256 bit? just like the 560? ram? all 400mhz still. mem type? all GDDR5. whoa a 100mhz increase in core clock... whooohoo. Processor cores? for some reason it doesn't show them on the 680... hmmm probably because it's still 512. like I said there are a few small increases that I could get in an overclock on air. and as for ATI? I don't know anything about them but from what I hear they're crap... but they sure make up pretty numbers.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

14. biganth29

biganth29 Registered

hmm pretty sure it has 1536 CUDA cores!

15. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Lol Kristoff behave Im a proud owner of a gigabyte windforce factory oc 6970 and its far from crap, and cost me nearly half the price a similar 580 version would of cost, and just to say I upgrade my card every year, my recent buys have been, nvidia 6800gtx quite a nice card 7900 gtx quite a good card, 8800 gtx awesome card then came the crap 9800 so I switched to amd and got a 4870 good card for low price, then my beast 5870 awesome card now on a 6970 okay card, so basically over the past 7 years both companies have made good bad or over priced mediocre cards. so now it s time to consider the next buy will it be 680 or 7970 so far looks like im staying with amd as I think the 680 smells like the 9800

16. MJP

MJP Registered

You must of been seeing compute benchmarks, it appears the 680 has been artificially crippled in this area. Nvidia makes a lot of money from their professional graphics boards quadro/tesla and are probably protecting themselves here.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You behave ......... lol :)

My EVGA 9800GTX+ was a fantastic card :p

I was upset I sold it before trying the ATi 4890 O/C
    That was the worst upgrade I ever did.

BTW your chart has a ommission
    GTX680 is 4K capable too ............if you have 36 Grand lol

http://www.techpowerup.com/147941/N...EIZO-Packs-4096-x-2160-Pixels-Resolution.html

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
  18. djt

djt Registered

I’m running a AMD/ATI 7970 in one i7 setup and have a EVGA GTX 680 on the way (should be here early next week) to replace the current GTX 580 I have in my other i7 setup.

I don’t expect a major increase in performance with r-Factor 2 compared to the ATI 7970, but I do expect much better image quality. The only two titles I currently run that perform better on the ATI 7970 compared to my GTX 580 are Dirt 3 and F1 2011.We won’t even go into the fact that AMD/ATI driver support is a joke (just like what I’ve seen in the past with the 5870 and 4870x2) compared to what I’ve experienced with Nvidia.

As far as performance is concerned a game engine based on DirectX 9 is only going to utilize so much of a high end GPU’s resources so again I’m not expecting much compared to what I’ve already seen with the exception of say super-sampling AA performance as an example.

19. Bart S

Bart S Member

I can already tell you the fps between the both will only be a few fps ATI being faster at high fps but slower at low fps, I just need some proof. But... from what I believe the 680 isnt ment to be the 580 replacement, I think there will be another card to do that maybe a 780 but that will be august and in jan AMD wil have 8000. U cant win just make a choice for your avg game and pick a card.
    It wouldnt surprise me if nVidia and ATI/AMD colaberate to play the market at differnent times of year rather than try fight each other.

20. djt

djt Registered

All I’ve seen coming this year beyond the GTX 680 is the GTX 685 (dual GPU’s on one card). Every test I’ve seen so far from any of the reputable hardware review sites shows the GTX 680 significantly outperforming the GTX 580.