Build 68-69 Transparency bug?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by toebee, Mar 22, 2012.

1. toebee

toebee Registered

Is anyone else seeing a problem with transparent materials since build 68? I have tried to trouble shoot my textures and material settings but from what I can tell I have things set right. It looked fine previous to build 68.

My rim texture uses a simple alpha channel to make the spoke holes transparent. The alpha channel is pure white and pure black where needed. However you can see from the attached picture that I am seeing shadows and other textures bleed thru the white part of my alpha channel.

My windshield textures are also having similar problems. They should have a black border around them but they are almost completely transparent now.

BTW this is in DEVMODE.

Attached Files:

2. Ha3aP

Ha3aP Registered

Hi, show me plz your tyres material settings (if not difficult create screens of texture and material in 3dsmax

3. Goat

Goat Registered

I have the same exact problem with all my cars windows. This is in DevMode and single player. I was close to release a Beta and now the windows are almost gone. The white and red still show but the black borders on all the windows are transparent, the side and rear windows are invisible.
    Build 60
    [​IMG]
    Build 69
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
  4. Goat

Goat Registered

For me this was fixed by doing a complete uninstall. Delete my data folder and reinstall version 49, Install all original mods. Start the game and adjust all your screen setting preferences. Once you have the game the way you want then, and only then, update to the current version. Note make no screen preference setting changes or you will be back in the same boat.

EDIT: After some more testing this process worked on One of my computers, both in single player and DevMode. On my other computer this only worked in DevMode not in single player.

5. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Just out of curiousity.
    What happens when you test the exact same skin in build 60?

To test, just make a fresh install, and update only to build 60.

6. Goat

Goat Registered

The windows are perfect in build 60 (except for no damage,dirt,rain animations) and I can make any changes to graphics settings I want to. Above I only had a picture of the #4 car in build 60, if you want I can make a picture of the 3 car in Build 60.
    It seems to me the problem is with the refreshing of graphics settings and this is an internal bug.

EDIT: I updated the pictures to show exact same car

7. toebee

toebee Registered

After more testing it appears to me that the bug is triggered anytime you use a material that combines an alpha transparency and a specular map. The attached screenshot uses the same textures but with a shader that has no specular map (cube map specular t1)

Attached Files:

8. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

I've had no major problems like this using new shaders, although alot of settings have changed especially in regards to windows. Remember to update shaders and tools in max after every new update and re-export, bearing in mind that alot will change with the shaders during the beta.

9. toebee

toebee Registered

My shaders and tools are up to date. I understand things will change, however this seems to be a bug. Just adding a specular map (cubemap specular map t1) causes the attached to happen. You can see its almost acting like if I selected Inv Scr Color. You can see the yellow parts of the texture still. Maybe your not using any shaders this way?

Attached Files:

10. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

I use cube map specular map t1 quite alot, and haven't run into this issue, although I don't use this on wheels. I use it more on lights and things. Hopefully your issue will get sorted in a future update, your model is looking really good btw.

11. toebee

toebee Registered

Thanks, are you using it with alpha transparency? It works as expected if I don't need to make something transparent.

12. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Yes I use it with alpha transparency (src alpha/inv src alpha).

13. toebee

toebee Registered

After more testing it appears that what happens is the alpha channel of the color map is completely ignored if I choose a shader with a specular map. It then bases the transparency on the actual color of the color map. See the attached pic, the wheels have been painted half white and black. The black part is rendered transparent. Maybe this is why it hasn't been noticed? If your color is not close to black it won't be transparent, or at least not completely.

Note: The reflection renders the wheel correct.

Attached Files:

14. bison160

bison160 Registered

I just tried putting windows in my car the other night and noticed I get the same issue. I first tried Cube Map Specular Map T1, because I didn't want to mess with the dirt/damage/rain maps right now. And my black edges around my windows were transparent. Played around for a while with alpha layers, thinking it was late and I probably did it backwards, but it was correct.

I then tried using the windshield outside map and same thing. After 3 hours of wasted time, I gave up at around 5:30am, now I find this thread.

Would be nice to get some word from one of the dev's on this issue.