Lets get AMD over here in this forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bart S, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Bart... do me a favor and disconnect 2 of your monitors and tell us what you're getting for FPS on just the one.

I know I have a buddy who runs eyefinity with 3 lcds on rF2 and he's doing quite well on an old ati card and an old 3 core amd with 8 gigs of DDR2 ram.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No I use two (more work than play). When running the software I use one. I'll get three eventually. ;)

3. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I noticed this effect on the 60's F1 cars where you see a reflection of the track surface on what seems like the inside of the windshield. I most noticed it when driving over the red/white rumble strips on the edge of the pavement and over the grid lines. At first it's easy to overlook since you expect to see some reflections from something. But the more I became aware of them the more they began to look unnautural. Then a few days ago I realized they appear to be reflections from directly below. As if the car has no bottom and the driver has no legs to block the light's path to the inside of the windshield. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

Yeah, it seems like some calculation/rendering load could be saved there.

4. Bart S

Bart S Member

Ok guys quick response, I have a massive 10-15 fps improvement just by doing some housework. I think Im onto something here report back soon

5. Bart S

Bart S Member

Ok heres the results of my housework, I clean my pc completeley free of any AMD/ATI drivers and registry inits following an excellent tutorial at 3dguru. Important whoever shall try this do not use CCleaner it will cause you grief it made me loose a day. Ok so my PC was free of any ATI/AMD drivers I clean installed 12.2 drivers from AMD but are actually 12.3. Naturally I set my CCC to use application settings for everything, I maxed all quality settings. I set teselation to application controlled and surface format optimization off, Performance MultiSampling AA. Started rFactor 2 used same settings as before everything maxed, no HDR, AA at 1 out of 3 for 5870 and shadows off and blur off.
    My resolution is 5920 x 1080 start on grid with at Spa F1 went from 25-28fps to 38-40 and previous max peak round track went from 50s to 75s, pit garage went from 28 to 40s.
    A clean has done me very good results.

I have new problems now with shadows they worked when I did my first tests I fiddled from max to medium then to off now when I try turn them back on no shadow appears fps are behaving as if they are turned off I check my config.ini and they are set at 2 but still dont appear in game. So I wiped rFactor2 did clean install and they where working then I change to off again and back on and still they persist to stay off I did some messing with HDR.
    This problem has only started today so I presume its from my driver cleaning or it could be my gpu card overclock. Anybody any ideas.

Kristoff Rand I have not tested with 1 monitor yet.

6. VLA

VLA Registered

I was compelled to reply, first post I think since rF2 launched on this subject. Been reading everything and listening to everyones heartaches in regards to FPS ect ect.

Steve, nailed it on the head. Everyone's computer is obviously set up different, they individually have there own personalities and characters. I'm no comp tech but been around with comps with two sons that loved their gamming for over 30 years. I have to say had many high end comps just to keep up with the latest games they wanted to play.

All along when new games are launched always had Fps issues and as always rectifed and increased performance just by knowing the personalities of our own computers. (Note: my words are mainly directed to high end comps with FPS issues).

I too had FPS issues when rF2 came out big time, (i7 960 5870xfire 8g ram triple 46" lcd's Motion sim 18 usbs connected 1000wpsu and lots more to add)

As always , If you know you have good hardware and before you blame a specific componet, take a good look behind the scenes, meaning 99% of the time it's software and not GPU software. not needed Resources are consummed in the backround, plus a mess of of files that talk to each other or load for no reason ect ect.

Win7 great OS but lots of **** running around there as well, this site has solved all my probs when it comes to Fps mostly http://www.blackviper.com/

Used to get 30 to 50 fps......now constant 100's rf2 and that's with 10.6 drivers. Clean up your system is the message..

7. Bart S

Bart S Member

VLA I'm going to look into the site you forwarded however I have come to the conclusion that there is not much in it between nVidia and AMD/ATI, after my recent efforts on improving FPS I am getting somewhere by just cleaning old files out I havn't actually messed with my system processes and services yet, I'm going to get into that in the next few days. However my FPS currently looks pretty resonable against nVidia user claims, my base findings are in eyefinity however if I went single screen I could expect around 100fps with all things pretty maxed but thats yet to be proved. My AA is pretty good too only tiny jaggies on the horizon. Check my other thread on nVidia Surround its part of my investigative findings.

8. taufikp

taufikp Registered

@Bart S, what is the driver cleaner you used?

9. Bart S

Bart S Member

Hi taufikp,
    You do not need a driver cleaner, you can leave the old files wherever they where placed, it is sufficent enough to just go into the registry and delete all references to the the drivers, those drivers wont be used if theres no reference to them. I've yet to look into what drivers are actually loaded at startup and see if any are related to AMD / ATI after the clean up before fresh install.
    Follow this excellent guide as I did how-to-properly-uninstall-ati-amd-software-drivers-for-graphics-cards.

Theres plenty more optimising to do also against what the system needs to run, try tracking what starts up during gaming and see how much ram it uses, its priority, any VRAM, cpu used, these other processes services can easily steal a few vital fps here and there.

Dont think I will be able to do too much more research till weekend as I'm busy with work and building motion sim in evenings

10. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Thank you Bart!

And yes, I've been reading your posts on your Motion Sim as well :D I also regularly visit x-simulator forum and checking out motion sim posted there. Cool stuff! :cool:

11. Vinceton

Vinceton Registered

Not necessarily. Having too many shaders/materials on an object just to make it more accurate would actually increase the load. It would have to look up which way the normals are facing and assign a shader based on that.

12. Bart S

Bart S Member

Hey dudes just did a quick gpu memory test as this was a concern of mine for speed optimization.
    I run a 5920 x 1080 res triple screen where gpu memory starts to become a huge factor so I learned in my findings.
    So I setup rfactor to use max texture quality and also in ccc set my AA to 8x Box, started up rfactor an joined online megane portugal race my dedicated memory usage read 1007mb and dynamic read 286mb.
    My test proves we need lots of vram for rfactor at high res or any triple screen setup, I may aswell drop my crossfire 5870 plans and start looking at 2-3gb cards.

Anybody wonna buy an Asus EAH5870 this card is good for 1000mhz / 4900mhz

13. Yarach

Yarach Registered

I totally agree with that. I have an AMD 1090T and a ATi HD 5750, and still running 50 Fps with everything maxed out on Full HD. The only thing I do is defragmenting and fixing the registry errors with Auslogics Boostspeed. It works like a charm!