Nissan GTR & 370z

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by matt2507, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

That's the thing. The most fun and competition you have in low class touring racing with almost stock street cars!

I actually prefer GT4 (especially 997 GT4 but that's another story) over GT1. With GT4, it's a different driving experience compared to high-downforce race cars. And indeed, they are just slightly modified road cars (stripped down, stiffer springs and dampers, arbs mostly stock + roll cage and some other safety stuff and slick tyres of course). For sure we will see them in rF 2 at some point in the future, so the 370 GT4 (and I mean, I really hope ISI is doing it in full real world GT4, hopefully 2010 spec) will be a nice addition as I don't have it in GT4 pack :)

2. FONismo

FONismo Registered

No really i was too harsh and apologize but the fact is talking for myself here, not once did i say that they should NOT be in there but rather i fail to understand why guys would want to drive a road car in a race sim that's all. That's the only reason i reacted

I also play pCARS so i don't share the attitude of some that when road cars are included in a said sim, it somehow makes that sim less of a sim. pCARS has a few but they just don't interest me in the slightest, i only ever drive the R18 and DTM, i'm hoping for some more cars like them really, bit too many open wheelers right now for my taste

What you guys really want that enjoy cars like that is something like the Test Drive games but obviously with a solid physics engine.

3. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Yes, but such sim doesn't exist (and I know firsthand that Atari/Eden are not interested in TDU beeing a simulator)... so we have to stick with rF for a few years more ;)

4. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

It is sometimes hard to gather the true meaning of what's being said when only using text. Good that we're on the same page. To answer your question: To me the answer is mainly twofold: I can't relate to racing cars because I can never even hope to drive one (this is probably the single biggest thing), and to a pretty great extent I dislike power and excessive grip brought on by slicks and racing level aerodynamics. I like the challenge of taking a car that is only partly made to go fast (something like an M3) and making it go like the clappers. I like that they're lively. I like that they aren't built to the same specs, and the varience in power and handling can be immense, so different people driving different types of cars can achieve the same times in vastly different ways. I like cars that can be made to perform above their supposed abilities. I also like the fact that there isn't a lot of stuff to adjust on them, so time can be spent on just driving them. Evens out the field a bit. And yes, I also like going sideways, so sue me. =) That, and I like how they look, the aggressive aerokits usually spoil the lines of the car, though this of course is very car dependent.

You see that episode of Top Gear where they were searching for the best driving road? Jeremy drove a Lambo Gallardo Superleggera, Richard had a Porsche 911 GT3RS and James came in with an Aston V8 Vantage N24. I.e. Jeremy and Richard brought cars, and Jeremy's comment about the Aston sums it up for me: "That is just a racing car."
    I'm the other way around, I only really drive the Caterham and the Ariels, though none of them is really a street car, just a street legal car. Actually held the track records for all of them on CH Short a while ago. The Gumpert with it's huge power, stiff suspension and massive downforce is too close to a racing car already. Could you honestly say that you'd drive to the shops every day in that thing? At least some people (even in Finland) use Caterhams as their daily drives. =)

I hope you'll get the cars you hope for, though I also hope I'll get a few more cars to drive too. Currently there's really only the Caterham that I really like, the Bac-Mono on the horizon is just another attempt of making a Formula style track day car. Hopefully they'll add a car with an actual boot in it at some point...
    That's actually not that far off. My ideal game would have the car list from Gran Turismo with the upgrading abilities (not that I'd use them much because I like stock condition cars, but even race modifications wouldn't hurt) with most of Europe and Japan done in similar style to the TDU series, but including the race tracks found in the areas so I could actually drive to the track, with rF2 level of physics and moddability, and pCARS levels of graphics, though with the photo side of "photorealism" tuned down a bit. Kind of like how Microsoft Flight Simulator enables you to fly all over the world, I'd like to drive all over the world. =)

But since that's not going to happen in my life time, if ever, the next best thing would be a game with a well selected bunch of street cars and a good variety of tracks, all with moddability and realistic physics, and even a racing cars to go along so that even more people would buy it. Hopefully when the mods start rolling in rF2 will be this game. =)

5. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Just to add to the conversation

If you are a fairly decent driver then unless you are drifting driving any road car on a standard full size race track is just boring. The problem with road cars is they are not compatable with modern race track design in that you spend 80% of your time motorway driving to the next corner.

Having said that you could have really fun races with high end road cars on some of the realy old tracks and with 25+ players on a server. Cadwell Park for example is a track that is fun even in slow cars.

Road cars would also be really fun in real world setting with narrow roads or more varied countryside roads with decent physics simulation and traffic to avoid. As people have said something along the line of test drive unlimited would be perfect so long as they gave it real world physics and the roads were varied not just crappy extruded paths with some corners and basic hight changes.

Its so very strange to me that forza not only has fairly basic physics but allot of it is driving these monumentally slow cars on large tracks. I guess most people that play forza have never played Rf1 ,NKP, i racing , LFS and allot of why they play it is collecting cars and the marketing and image surrounding those cars. Also if you are not a very good driver and say play in 3rd person using automatic gears, really slow cars can give people a chance to enjoy the "feeling" of driving and racing around a track whilst not having to spend time developing the skills or learning tracks ( which is fine).

For Rfactor2 where the majority of the tracks made by ISI and Modders will be F1 or large race tracks , road cars will just be boring and spending time setting up the physics to work with the specifics of heavy cars would detract from setting up the cars that are more enjoyable to drive on tracks. (Thats not to say moders wont make some road cars and do a good job of it. )

I think the only real solution would be if some people licensed Rf2 or Netcar pro and then built levels, traffic ,AI and all the other systems into it to make it into the ideal game for road cars and the game I think people that like road cars but also want realism are after.

To make the game profitable it would probably have to be Free to play and offer lots of missions and tasks for people as well as the ability to race. Its clear from the Live to cruse servers in LFS that this type of game play is sought after by allot of people.

Finally something I would love to see is a proper cops and robbers typ game play with real road cars and Rf2 quality physics.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I have played GTR,GTR2,rF.....but I really enjoyed driving road car in GT5 for example the Nissan GTR '07 on the old Nurburgring!I hope that rF2 could have some road car like the GTR '07,the Scirocco,Ferrari F40....

7. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Its likely those cars would work well in RF2 someone might mod them , I was more talking about stuff like the BMW's or high end consumer cars not road/sport cars.

8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

True for the most part, though I'd argue that most of the modern F1 tracks are made in a way that makes them boring and uninteresting no matter what car you're using. The old tracks is where it's at in any car. =) (I do like the modern layout of Fuji and it's been great fun in rF1 with NSX vs. M3 vs. Supra.)

But there are plenty of twisty tracks and tracks like the Nordschleife, that are insanely good fun even in street cars. =)
    And yeah, with street cars I didn't quite mean we should be driving in cars like VW Golf 1.4L or a Fiat Multipla or something like that. Purely talking about street legal sports cars, or at the very least sporty cars. =)

9. Grotesk

Grotesk Registered

What is now with the Nissan?

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

In testing. You'll know when it's ready as we will release it. :)

11. matt2507

matt2507 Registered

is it possible to have some screenshots or videos to make us wait ? :)

12. Grotesk

Grotesk Registered

but changed something on the car? It takes to much time only for testing...are we close to the release or it will take another week(s)?

13. 88mphTim

It's just difficult to predict testing. rF2 wasn't out in 2011, either. :)

It's close, yes, but what that means is not very specific, and can't be.

14. sg333

sg333 Registered

Can you tell us if the windshield rain/wipers will be implemented with these new cars?

15. 88mphTim

I don't think they've done any work on the raindrop/wiper effects recently, so I doubt it will be enabled yet.

16. FONismo

FONismo Registered

What about spray in wet conditions, has been implemented yet?

17. D!2T

D!2T Registered

I have found something to get you by until such a time... http://geoquake.jp/en/webgame/DrivingSimulatorGM/ :p

18. matt2507

matt2507 Registered

Enfin ! ;)

19. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I'm surprised that people haven't posted screenshots of the new car(s) yet.

20. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Because they are driving :)

Maybe new cars don't look amazing but definitely sound and feel amazing :)

Historic OW, rTrainer and both Nissans are the best car in rf2 so far :)