Nissan GTR & 370z

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by matt2507, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Doc_

Doc_ Registered

I dont think a racing sim is what you guys are after. rfactor is for RACING. Not an automitive form of synchronised swimming.
    I digress. Someone with an interest in drifting will do a mod down the track. There was one for rfactor 1. Dont expect ISI to release street cars though.

If you get some street cars, I guess you could skin them with a shopping list on the door........

2. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Fair enough but there is the SHIFT series, same sort of thing

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

To say there shouldnt' be street cars is sim racing snobbery. :p Everybody has different tastes.

4. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Have you never seen a Best MOTORing race between street cars? I'd rather just watch those than any other racing series on earth. I like cars, real cars. I especially like cars that actually exist in a form that people can buy. Race cars are like jet fighters. Sure, they're cool and all, but they're just not really relevant to anything.

So yeah, three things:
    1. It's not just about what is built for racing, it's also about what can be raced. Modern (and some vintage) sports cars have incredible potential for racing purposes. It's just rarely done because people don't want to crash their cars, or the circuits won't allow it. That's why sims would be a perfect platform for them.

2. Street legal sports cars have a lot of properties that separate them from thoroughbred racing cars that make them interesting for racing purposes.

3. What the heck is up with the GT/Forza/Shift argument? I'd have thought that'd be used in the exact opposite way! Point is that there are no realistic street cars available for racing purposes in any current game on the market. None. Zilch. Zero. (Well OK, one or two fantasy cars in LFS.) What's wrong with street car enthusiasts wanting a realistic sim experience with their favorite cars for once? Or are you saying that people who have an interest in street legal cars don't even deserve a real sim?

EDIT: Additionally, mainly about the "I'll hop in my car and ride the streets": The vast majority of sim racers can't get an exiting street car due to various circumstances (family ranking among the top), and even if they do have one, you can't just hop in it and RACE it (not without braking the law anyway). In my case I'd first have to cough up the money for a sports car (which is twice as expensive here as it would be anywhere else in the world), then find somewhere to keep it (only one parking space per household), then in the best case scenario I'd have to arrange my holidays to hit the few solitary track days available during the summer, travel several hundreds of kilometers, find a place to stay overnight, pay the exorbitant track fees and THEN I get to drive around the track a few times, but I need to steer way clear of the other drivers or else I'm banned from driving. I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun, but it's also not at all worth the hassle and the price, living in a country that hates people who like cars. I'd rather just sim. But racing cars (apart from vintage ones) just don't do anything for me, because I can't relate at all to them, so I'm screwed.

So yeah, personally I don't see a reason why anyone would ever want to drive a Formula One car in a sim (especially a newer one), the grip and power just make them boring as heck, but I wouldn't even dream of telling people they shouldn't be able to if they want. That's why stuff like "Why would anyone want a street car in a RACING game?" just doesn't fit me well. rF1 was all about choice. I'd hope that ISI would make at least one road car, because then the community would have something to build on. From what I saw a huge part of the street cars in rF1 were based on the Lexus ISF done by ISI, and I have had some of my most memorable racing experiences in the Ultimate Control Racing demo car Drift Trainer (which is basically a Honda S2000 with some added steering lock). Tune the setup down a notch or two and you've got a great feeling street car. I really really love that car.

Bah, sometimes I feel like I'm fighting windmills with this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012
  5. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Chill yourself down and stop with the ranting. You don't agree fair enough just move on. Before getting all irate next time, take five minutes chill and read the posts through to the end and not just the parts that suit you. No one said they should NOT be in there, i agreed that why would any one want to race a normal car in a " RACE" sim.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We haven't put a cap on licensing anything, but often road cars aren't worth it. It depends if you can get a decent partnership where you both benefit (ideally a free license for us, and a free commercial license to use it for them). I've one license which I guess you could call a road car that I just tied up... But it's also a race car. Sooo... Meh. :)

7. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I'm thinking of a Mustang mod with Mustangs from different eras and different models. GT's, GT-350's, GT-500's, Boss', Cobra's

mmmm Shelby...

8. magicfr

magicfr Registered

I'd like to have street car in a simulation , it's easier to compare to real life, as I don't hown a megane trophy ;)
    Also, like LesiU said, it's good for training before going to trackday, and competition with slow cars is often tight and fun races.

9. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

+1 for street cars! often people put a rollcage in them and then do races with them. so why not putting them in a RACEsim?
    FONismo: i think jubuttib was quite reasonable with his post!? and why is an opinion, that's different to yours rant?
    it's sad that there are so many intolerant people around here...

10. FakeThinkpad

FakeThinkpad Registered

+1, jubuttib did put i in a good way. I prefer street cars aswell as you get something comparible, Its great to be able to use a simulator to see what the cars are actually like on the track and not to mention train yourself on the track before a track day, thats all I use it for, and to see what cars I might like to buy :)

11. patryksok.

patryksok. Registered

Then GT5 is your way to go ;) On rF2 never will be so many street car that you can test them and see how it drive and on that test drive choose wich one buy. Even if they will be, 90% of them will have fantasy physics, fake suspension etc.

12. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Pfff...
    I would pay 50$ for a great Pagani street car mod that would include street Zondas, Huayra and Zonda R.

Exactly!

13. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I am sure that you could pay much more money for this car :D

14. Anonim

Anonim Registered

I can create one for you and even wothout payment. I earn a lot more than 50$ per day so believe me I'm not interested in crediting my mods. But i will do it because I love Modding and creting something new. AND I can guarantee that my cars will look almost like thiose in pc.a.r.s. but the only problem is to configure correctly their physics/handling. I will need some one to do it for me before i convert those cars from dev mode to an rf mod. :)
    I will show you my current progress on reventòn as soon as i get home. so you will understand the quality i am talking about

15. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Thats great! But I think it will be difficult to make a proper physics for it.

Yeah, probably ;)

16. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

So actually, you can't create the car. It's not about GFX but mostly about physics :) I mean, what's the point of having Reventon which doesn't drive like Reventon?

17. Anonim

Anonim Registered

that's true.... and I can do nothing about it.
    TBH I doubt WSGT2 team will have all their cars with proper physics though!
    But
    we can try to ''copy/paste'' (create) similar physics to the one in gt5 or forza

18. Anonim

Anonim Registered

Hmmm.. who knows.. how many future mods won't have cars with proper physics?
    I think at least 90%.

19. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I hope, much less than we have for rF 1. Yeah, hope...

20. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I do apologize, I did overreact a bit, though the point still stands. It can be a touchy subject for me because whatever sim forum I go I tend to encounter the same attitude, sometimes stronger, sometimes not quite as strong, that street cars have no place in a racing sim (despite the huge popularity of track days and street racing, the rise of the import car scene (before it became overrun with the lights, audio and other superficial crap), huge interest in lap times and performance of street cars like the Top Gear Power Laps list, or FastestLaps.com, and indeed huge interest in games like GT and Forza, that provide at least a semblance of realism), and half assed games like Forza/GT/Shift should be enough, when quite frankly they're nowhere near enough. I try to bring the subject up on forums like this and the pCARS forums, because I honestly think that featuring street sports cars in a full on realistic sim is a very valid selling point. Many people who like GT and Forza still complain about the physics not being realistic enough and want something better, and many others like the idea of having road cars but don't want to buy consoles for just one game, especially one that would have sub-par physics anyway.

The thing that tends to bother me the most is that while I (or any other street car enthusiast I've talked to) would never even dream of limiting racing cars in sims, the guys that like only racing cars don't seem to want to have anything to do with games that have street cars involved in any way, like adding them would somehow automatically make the game worse. Meh. Obviously not saying everyone is like this, but surprisingly many do feel this way.

And on the subject of modding said street cars, I would have though it even somewhat easier to mod them, since many more people have access to your average sports cars than have access to racing cars. Of course many modders already have access to people who race cars and can get information from the teams, but assuming no connections at all when starting I'd think it'd be easier to find people with street cars willing to help with stuff.
    Yeah, and frankly how likely is it that a modding team making a (let's pick at random) Formula One '79 mod will get real actual info on the true measurements and types of various components, and actual driver feedback confirming the physics?

But copy pasting/creating physics similar to GT5 or Forza is a no-no if the aim is trying to do better than them when it comes to realism. =)

And finally, to get back on topic: Really glad to see the 370Z will be a GT4, since GT4 cars are pretty close to road cars anyway, the regulations don't allow for much changes. I'll have to see if I can work towards making street tyres for them for my own personal use, but still, nice to see some low tune racing cars too. The less you adjust the car to racing and the fewer setup options there are the more I like it, because it forces the driver to adapt to the car and puts everyone on the same line, regardless of experience in setting up a car to work for your style. =)