Difficulty settings suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sabre, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Sabre

Sabre Registered

What settings from the Difficulty tab are usually allowed in most online sessions? I have very good wheel/pedals by Fanatec, so currently Auto pit lane and Auto clutch are the only ones that are On in the settings. Would you recommend to add some additional helping tools, but without creating 'bad habits' with a view to multiplayer?

Thanks,
    Sabre.

2. Doc_

Doc_ Registered

Auto clutch only.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

As the reply above says, auto clutch is usually all in some servers.

For learning, if you're new to sim racing perhaps, you could put traction control to low, and stability to low, but you will need to learn to drive without those eventually.

4. Sabre

Sabre Registered

Thanks for the good advice, guys, I'll learn it the right way from the beginning.

Sabre.

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

with the new tire model I don't think traction will be a big problem...

advice? let the tires warm up before you go to hard, slow down early for turns, and get your FFB right it makes a big difference in the feel.

6. Novis

Novis Registered

If you're new to racing put on as many as you can. It's a steep learning curve in racing sims as you need to learn both track layouts and car handling before you can practise any driving skills. When you feel confortable driving the car around the track start to take the driving aids off one by one.

Invurnabnility is great while you still learning a track as you don't need to pit to repair the car all the time. Any aid that removes some of your control over the car should go as soon as possible, like Auto pitlane, Steering and Braking help, Stability control, and Opposite lock. Traction control and ABS can stay pretty late and will probably be those you will have hardest to drive without. Removing tracion control and ABS will make racing much more fun so your aim should be to drive without any driving aids at all in the end.

Final advise would be to ask around for a drivable setup (not hotlap) that match your car and track as soon as you start dropping driving aids. Get a few and try which one you like the best. Remember that setups grow old with practise, as you improve another setup will probably suit you better.

7. bunrfutter

bunrfutter Registered

Hey guys. Im also new to simracing and im wondering if there is a difference setting a formula 1966 car or formula 1 car nowadays or a GT Car because the new cars have abs and transaction control etc. Is it necessary to set evrything off? What do you prefer?

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Sometimes a traction control is allowed and also present in real car.
    For learning it can be reasonable to put on low TC in other cars too.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Modern F1 cars don't have ABS or TC either (for a while they had TC, but it was outlawed when it became technically possible to enforce it), although things like engine mapping can improve driveability in certain situations (like a wet track) which rF2 currently can't replicate.

For fastest learning I'd echo some of the posts above - invulnerability on so you don't spend all your time driving out of the pits, all driving aids off except auto clutch, drive slow enough to lap consistently and when you can do that (without falling off all the time) you can work on going faster.

Nice thread resurrection by the way :p

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Seriously guys ?

any OPEN room needs auto gearbox for people have gamepads and K/Bs

I have K/B driver regular joins me and others

Besides auto gearbox is slower so it can't be a aid that anyone should worry about. ?

Like ? unless you all prima donnas

Adding Tc and aids like that is pussy time

I am here to train rookies not arcaders

I have trained well over 500 people now 300 on books none of them ever needed bs aids that don't even belong on a '66 car or many others lol

TC and brake help compared to auto clutch and gears is just nothing even remotely the same.

No Damage is another NO BRAINER for a OPEN "Rookies room" ......... or I would be pitting out every minute training people and no one would get a timed lap in. ? what use is that !

12. Helium

Helium Registered

After reading the thread I checked my settings and realized I was driving with ABS and TC on low. Since I was able to spin out of a corner and were getting flatspots I didn't bother looking at the driving aids :cool:.
    After five quick laps with a URD Darche in Bathurst it looks like I'm 2-3 seconds slower without. Of course I didn't really adapt in that short amount of time. I guess I'm gonna get those seconds back but the car is definitely more fun that way. Braking into The Cutting and over the hill before the Esses is really scary now.