ATI Drivers

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by taufikp, Feb 21, 2012.

1. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

well maybe thats it then but I have tried with vsync off too and felt no difference? it is possible thats its to small to notice unless you feel like you have to noticei;) anyway its smooth as silk here and no micro stutters either :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  2. taufikp

taufikp Registered

AMD Catalyst 12.x 8.950.5 Feb 24 BETA (unofficial)

This is new BETA driver (unofficial!)

AMD Catalyst 12.x 8.950.5 Feb 24 BETA

NOTE: This driver is for Windows 7 and Vista 64-bit only.

Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing: Level of Detail (LOD) Image Quality enhancements
    • Supported on the AMD Radeon™ HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800, and AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
    • LOD Image quality enhancements have been improved when enabling Super Sample Anti-Aliasing and Adaptive Anti-Aliasing through the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center for DirectX® 10 and DirectX® 11 applications.
    • Applications must support in game Anti-Aliasing for the feature to work (Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center is not supported for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications)
    • To be supported in AMD Catalyst 12.4

Morphological Anti-Aliasing (MLAA): Significant performance enhancements
    • Supported on the AMD Radeon™ HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800, and AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
    • MLAA now operates up 80% faster than previous versions of MLAA
    • To be supported in AMD Catalyst 12.4

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

This package has many fixes, including Skyrim and BF3 problems. Also adding better MLAA support for series 7xxx card. SSAA support for DX10 and DX11 now can be turned on only via in-game anti-aliasing, forcing SSAA via CCC won't work.

Does it has any effects on rFactor 2? In my system, yes. I see performance improvement, and graphic quality is also improved.

In my system, this is the best driver so far. Hopefully the upcoming 12.4 (April release?) driver will be as good as this one too.

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I don't like the looks of that site. I did a search to find them on amd and came up empty. Also no news released by amd on twitter or facebook about these beta drivers. Do you have an official link to these beta drivers?

4. Duvel

Duvel Registered

5. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Thanks. It's not that I didnt' believe you but I've never used that site before. :eek:

6. taufikp

taufikp Registered

I just noticed that 8.950.5 Feb 24 driver also make Windows overall image quality much better. Better readability of text. Icon also looks better. That's a plus for me! :)

edit:
    • The shimmer effects (on fences) that were so annoying in rF2 using previous drivers is greatly reduced. Almost gone. Another good factor for me.
    • The full screen anti-aliasing method MSAA and AMSAA are both working so much better now. No need to use SSAA anymore to get nice looking scenes for rF2.
    • The overall texture quality in rF2 is good (I'm using FULL texture quality setting), I think its because the image LOD (mipmap?) function is working better in this driver.

So actually this rF2 image quality problem is not largely ISI's fault, AMD's previous under optimized driver played a big role too.

Here's a screen shot taken with the new driver.

[​IMG]
    Up the hill by simfactor

Click to see more

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
  7. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

this new driver is also running with HD 68xx cards?

8. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Well, my card is a HD 5770, and it runs very well. So it should be running with HD 6xxx cards also. :)

9. Bart S

Bart S Member

MSAA and AMSAA are mega fast now wow I cant believe it Im running triple screen full hd 5920x1080 and 8xMSAA the graphics are amazing and much sharper now. I can't believe they managed to make it 70% faster but I have to agree it is defo 70% faster.
    I just need a tiny bit more power now, I gotta admit it feels a little notchy on frames even at 70+ but I thought I felt that after build68/69.

10. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

After reading the notes I don't see it helping my 7950 much. I'll wait for official release.

@taufikp

Your JUMP! screenie is awesome. I love the loaded right rear tire. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
  11. taufikp

taufikp Registered

@CdnRacer thanks! btw, the next driver (12.4), will come with this Catalyst 8.950.5 Feb 24. Hopefully by then your 7950 will see some improvements. :)

@Bart yes, MSAA and AMSAA is a ton better now. I see it in my system as well. However, I couldn't see the claim of "80% increased in MLAA performance" in my 5770. In my system, MLAA is a huge FPS eater.

12. Bart S

Bart S Member

BTW I downloaded the update from AMD and got a crashing driver then corrupted file on 3 downloads, I got the one from 3dguru and no problem first time and its solid.
    CdnRacer I think you will also benefit from the MSAA and AMSAA and I can tell you now you will not be dissapointed its a mega leap forward. Highly recommended.

13. hdj

hdj Registered

My system is:
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 processor, AMD HD 5750 Graphics card and 4GB of ram,
    O/S Win 7 home premium x64 bit.
    rF2 settings (build 69): 1920x1080x32, HDR on, FXAA off, no AA, Sync to none.

In game details full except op detail, sun reflection and videos.

Just can't get better than 50-55fps

Any suggestions

14. BasJon

BasJon Registered

so does this driver support my 6970 ?

15. Bart S

Bart S Member

@taufikp : I run all MLAA from CCC and have all AA turned off in rF2. I can see a definate 50% increase atleast on my 5870.

What is this talk of microstutter do you guys mean a constant pausing throughout the game or just ever so often, I'm wondering if it anything to do with my 1gb Memory going to do a few checks turning things off and on tonight.

16. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Yes i am using it with my two 6950's and works well :)

17. Bart S

Bart S Member

Guys I dont think pre 6000 series cards are up to much for HDR your better off turning it off, 6000 series are optimized for HDR, BasJon you should benefit also, try it if it dont work roll back.

18. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I have 10-20% performance improvement with new drivers.

I have HD 6700.

19. djt

djt Registered

Still not up to par with Nvidia’s 8x super-sampling AA. Using super-sampling AA even with a 7970 still cripples performance, with the GTX 580 I can still maintain 60 FPS with 8x SSAA.

20. hdj

hdj Registered

HDR makes small difference for me maybe +/- 2fps.

Made changes to AMD cc performance settings. Tried overclocking there, and fps up to @60/65 but rF2 froze after maybe 2mins.

Not looking for super high fps just a steady +60/65