too little grip when drifting?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Manuel1991, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Manuel1991

Manuel1991 Registered

Hi,
    In the last few day's I drove the Renault Megane.The overall feeling is very good :) The car is reacting in a very convincing way. But when the Megane is oversteering the grip is decreacing very fast. Shouldn't it decreasing more gradually, or is this typical for the Megane?

regards Manuel (sorry for my english:) )

2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

This is very typical for a slick tire I do believe especially when the temps go way over their optimal temps. Keep in mind though that the tire model is not finished.

3. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

I believe this problem along with others that people are mentioning is just the fact that you're racing on radial tires... I remember all the NASCAR drivers (might have been Winston Group drivers at the time) complaining about the radial tires and how you couldn't feel them letting go in the corners and that by the time you did, it was too late.

It all has to do with how the contact patch of a radial tire stays relatively flat then when it's in a corner. Then, when it can't take no more... It lets go altogether.

A bias ply tire's patch gradually lifts when in a corner. Therefore, you can feel it gradually losing contact much easier and sooner than you would on a radial... Being slicks just compounds the problem. (pardon the pun)

Hope this helps,

Bryan

I drive the 60's cars. They drift beautifully. Can get them almost perfectly sideways and still have 'some' control. You don't drive them around corners... you dance them around the corners... simply wonderful!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
  4. Favio

Favio Registered

Hola Manuel, como estas?, conducir un auto de carrera es muy parecido, los neumaticos tienen un limite de adherencia de energia centrifuga, cuando te acercas a ese limite el auto se vuelve inestable sobre el tren trasero y hace que uno tenga que dar pequeñas pero constantes correcciones al volante para mantener una linea rapida sobre lo que dure la curva.
    Quizas en el auto se hace mas facil sentir ese "limite" por cuestiones obvias...uno esta en un auto real bajo fuerzas G reales, eso ayuda mucho jajaja.
    De todas formas esta sensacion varia mucho segun el tipo de auto que se conduzca, en un kart o formula el limite es muy delgado, en un auto standart de calle americano de los 70 el limite es mas amplio y progresivo. En este simulador la sensacion es muy fidedigna, palpable, un gran trabajo de ISI. Puede que en el simulador se sienta un poco exagerado, pero es hasta que tomes practica, y el setup del auto ayuda mucho, cuando encuentres un balance del chasis a tu gusto vas a drisfutar mucho "llevarlo de costado" jajaja.
    Saludos.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2012
  5. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

sorry?

6. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

+1 :D
    it clearly states in this Forum: Product Discussion (English)...other guys at least try to let google translator do some work, so we get a slight idea what they are talking about...
    Edit: i bet someone will start calling me racist or Nazi because i'm german and dared to say something about someone...lol

7. Manuel1991

Manuel1991 Registered

Thank you for your answers! I guess the tyre physics is a very complex thing :)
    @CdnRacer: You said that the tyre model isn't finished yet. Are there complete features wich aren't implemented so far, or is there only fine-tuning needed?
    @Bryan Birtwell : Thank you, that helps me a lot! and yes, the 60's cars are great :)

At last, the translation of Favio's post, that everybody can read it ;) (google)

via google

8. Favio

Favio Registered

Sorry guys, i dont know how to explain all that in english lol xD.

9. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Again, let's not forget that all of these cars, Megane included, are mid-engine. They are NOT the front-engine, rwd configuration that drifters are used to. Their weight is distribution is biased toward the rear.

10. Favio

Favio Registered

Agree!.

11. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Also, do we really need another active topic on this?