Hyperthreading

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BasJon, Feb 19, 2012.

1. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Can I ask why the game is not using hyperthreading so only 4 of my 8 cores are being used by the game.
    Or is there a way to change this in the player.ini file anyone have any input thanks Jon ..

2. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

The game isn't well optimized for processors yet, I think we'll be waiting a while for it to arrive too.

3. ironyltd

ironyltd Registered

Looking at Task Manager immediately after a run, seems that rf2 was using 10 of the 12 threads of an i7 990x

Hope this helps

4. bmwmaster

bmwmaster Registered

Not for me, it only uses 4 of 8 threads of my i7 2700k.

5. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

To quote ISI rFactor currently only runs on two CPUs no matter how many offered - with hyper-threading this might get spread out somewhat but it won't utilize everything for a good while yet, not that it'd make a massive difference for all I can tell.

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

My friend did some tests with his i5 2500k with various cores enabled (he tested 2, 3 and 4 cores) and there is fps gain with quad core CPU (vs dual core) but the more GHz you have, the less you benefit there is from more cores. +~40% when comparing 2,5GHz quad vs DC, +~20% @ 3,5GHz and almost no benefit @ 4,5GHz. That was with 25AI during FL in Meganes at Mills, on Build 49.

7. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

You think that only using half a quad core processor doesn't make a performance difference? that's simply not true. For people like me it would open the game up significantly performance wise.

8. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Not necessarily. Certainly the physics engine isn't likely to slow down to keep up with demand and as more graphics functions are exclusively moved to the GPU the game becomes far less CPU dependent. Not only that but the above benchmark proves my point admirably so 'simply not true' contradicts the facts in at least one instance.

9. Karoly Mayer

Karoly Mayer Registered

10. Novis

Novis Registered

11. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

You don't have the HT option because your processor does not support it or you have an old BIOS version.

Side note: HT cannot be disabled with some ini file or whatever per application basis because application does not differentiate between real and virtual core.

12. Novis

Novis Registered

That is exactly what Processor Affinity will let you do. Not disable but determine what processors to use.

13. BasJon

BasJon Registered

What is your model of your i7 as you dont show it in your profile it just say i7 2.0ghz
    then I could tell you the virtualisation could be to do with it but i need to know your make and model to be sure of mobo and proc

14. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

If you're getting your "10" from the Task Manager list of running processes then that's not what that number means. If you are indeed properly determining the number of cores in use then I don't know what to say because I've never seen that behavour on my i5 or i7.

Hardware Virtualization <> Hyper-Threading

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
  15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

That's because his has 6 cores. :p

16. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I know what he has. My point is if he's taking the thread count from Task Manager, those are the number of threads the program is using which is different than the number of cores in use. You can multi-thread on one CPU. The threads run in different timeslices. Right now on my system, Firefox is using 41 threads and "System" is using 221.

If, in fact, he has determined that 10 or 12 cores are in use by rF2 then that's strange... I've never seen more than 2-3 cores in use.

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Oh i see, yeah mine says 25 threads whilst running and i'm pretty sure i haven't got a 12.5 core cpu. :p

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Dell is notorious for masking or hiding bios settings on their systems to prevent users from overclocking and damaging their hardware while it is still in warranty.

19. Novis

Novis Registered

Yeah, last time I checked rF2 had between 21-25 threads. That doesn't mean all are running unleashed all the time. Typically somewhere between 1.5-2.0 processors are used in average by the rF2 process on my system leading me to believe that it is only the physics and graphics thread that are running more or less continuously.

20. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Will rF2 definitively be using 6 cores? I'm thinking of getting a new computer.