Viewing car painting.

Discussion in 'User Interface and HUD Modding' started by D.Painter, Feb 18, 2012.

1. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

How can this be made easier in rF2?

People have had complaints about rF1 and how you view the new changes to their livery. I found it quite simple and could make a 1 or 2 pixel move to line up things between parts on the templates in a reasonably short time. rF2 is FAR less supportive in this side of modding. The amount of chess moves you need to make for the livery to reload on the spinner after making a simple change it is VERY slow and frustrating. This is even evident on the original rF2 content. Most liveries avoid the need to line parts up between template parts and some show the frustration of those painters were the lines DON'T line up at all. I have cars that I've had to load into the spinner for viewing over 100 times during the construction of the livery.

As a painter I take MY work very seriously. It's MY contribution to the mod teams I work with and this side despite the feeling by some that painting the cars is only a small thing and it doesn't matter that much it dose to those of us that do this work. The UI or Interface of rF2 show the lack of thought given to our HOURS of work and constant need to review our work during the painting process and then to have this work just bypassed in the UI to go straight to the track and ignoring the spinner completely even in the car select menu shows a complete lack of respect of our work by this game.

This is not to show off! This is to show you some small examples of how many times these car need to be review on the spinner. I wouldn't consider doing either in rF2 because of the time and frustration it takes to change the liveries so it reloads the car your working on.
    Corvette4.png

Final2.png

haunetal1990 likes this.
  2. ESP=EWE=

ESP=EWE= Registered

As a fanatic painter myself, I completely agree with you.

As for rf1 the quickest way I have found to reload livery update it to make the car have 2 skins available and then just flick between the livery... NO need to load another car and then reload the car you just edited.

3. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

I can't even get a skin to show up yet. What is the component name for the MS7 F2 car? I've tried everything I can think of, and can't for the life of me figure out what to call the folder for the skin. :(

4. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

5. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Hmm.. I had a 'HistoricOpenWheels/MS7_3alt.dds' at one point which didn't work. Is any of it case sensitive? I'll have to give it another try when I get a chance.

6. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Dose that car already have a alt skin? If so then no it want use yours. Add a letter or number after ALT if the one your working with has one already.

Case sensitive? Yeah could be though I'd doubt it. Something to try.

MS7_3alt.dds' ? Are you sure it's not MS7_03alt.dds. ? Note the 03, Not just 3. This would stop it from working. Must be the same as the original.

This is easy to find out. Go to tune and look at the bottom of the select window. The skins code naming is in the alt skin select bar.

7. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
  8. Mauro

Mauro Registered

9. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Yes I saw that a day or so ago. I've checked the templates and they do have a alpha. The Formula Renault didn't. If you've save it using DXT1 you would get that shine effect. Try DXT5. It's like the livery has been converted to greyscale. There is a setting in the DDS converter that will do that. Reset to default. But the fact that the reflection is the skin you've loaded is a little confusing. I'll have to test these cars myself before I can give any advice.

The Meganes have a MIP MAP reflection showing on the windscreen. The FR35s are fine on the spinner but who knows what's happening in-game. Gridgirl has pictured a 60s car were the driver is covered with the cars livery. Maybe the FR35 has a similar issue.

10. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

D'OH! Didn't even think that it being an 'alt' skin means that you can select more than one skin. I hadn't even thought to choose it in the tuning menu. Now I feel a fool.

11. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I've had a look at the 60s cars. I'm not having any issues with them.

Going on the quote above might I suggest you get GIMP. It's free and the links in post 7 on this page will help you with creating and saving a alpha channel.

I use Jasc Paintshop Pro 8 but I do have Photoshop 7. PS7 is mostly used as a DDS converter more then a painting program.

With Paintshop I've been playing around with layer Masks. I now know how to create a new alpha layer (Something that not new to me) and now add it to the Alpha channel. It's really quite simple!

12. Easton

Easton Registered

How do I rotate and or zoom in on a car when I select vehicle in the menu? I can't get it to move, not sure what key moves the car around on the floor.

13. datanode

datanode Registered

Don't think you can.

I wish I could render the car and continually reload it for lining up as well :/

I only just tried playing with car skins and immediately found this process frustrating and unnecessarily slow.

14. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Load single player and click the customise button along the bottom of the screen, i'm guessing you are using the 'car screenshot' showroom, change to one of the other 2 and you can then rotate around the car by holding the left mouse button and moving the mouse and zoom in and out by holding the right mouse button and moving the mouse. You can also hold the left mouse button then hold down the right mouse button in addition to it and move the camera off centre with mouse movement.

There is also a player.plr setting: 'Miscellaneous="1"' that allows you to move around the car. So find your player.plr file and open it up, use the find function in the edit menu of notepad and you will find the line near the bottom of the file. Make sure it is set to 1 and not 0. Not sure if it's now set to 1 by default or if you're just using the wrong showroom, but one of these or both will allow you to move around the car as you wish.

15. Easton

Easton Registered

Now that is just awesome my friend, Thank You:)

16. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

If you don't know already there are two addon showrooms available which were made from the default showrooms but have a more free camera movement ;)
    You can find them here and here.

For painting purpose you can load your car in the spinner, then press reload button from the UI to reload the skin each time you made changes to it ;) Please note that sometimes the reload doesn't really work...at least last time I made a skin xD

17. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

They've fixed that in one of the latest builds.

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Back to topic.....viewing skins.

For the love of god make this happen. can't see custom skins in rf2, never could, only way I can see custom skins is when I pack them in a mas file.

So that makes it practically impossible to create skins for me, unlessssss......we have some external viewer avail.

on my knees here ISI

19. ViSo

ViSo Registered

Try to have more than 1 skin on directory, to be able to switch them. Having just one give me problems too.

20. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

No they wont show anyhow.