The first update - Build 60

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

No. Actually, they went back to DX7...

2. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Registered

ffs can you give me a serious answer please?

3. Blaktop

Blaktop Registered

Sebastion, not sure what caused the error, could have had something to do with a system restore I did recently however since my install is not on the C: I doubt it. Whatever the cause I just ran the Build 49 installer again and installed straight over the top of the existing install and it all worked. I ran the Update utility and installed Build 60 and then installed the mods again and it was all good.

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Can't you just read the release notes?

5. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Registered

i have read some of it.. a simple yes or no would have been fine from you LesiU :)

6. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Oy gevalt! I know you use the default installation folder, no need to get worked up with caps and multiple question marks. =)

What I was doing in my first post was just expanding your description, so that it fits to anyone installing the game anywhere on their computer, trying to avoid specific folder names. The only point was that whether you install into the default folders or not, if you want to know where the Updates folder is located, it's in the Data and Settings Destination folder specified in the installation. If installing in the default folders like you, the Core Destination folder will be C:\Program Files\rFactor2 (or C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2), and the Data and Settings Destination folder will be C:\Users\<username>\Documents\rFactor2\ just like you have.

When I said "data folder" I didn't mean that the folder is named Data, it's just that it is the Data and Settings folder specified in the installation, it can be named whatever you want. Wherever that folder is, in the default location or wherever one puts it, that's where the Updates folder should be. =)

No doubt we just hit a language barrier, let's drop this subject, OK? =)

7. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Quite same specs with same frame rate :(

8. Gary Corby

Gary Corby Registered

My FPS has gone from 30 with build 49, to 120+ with build 60. Yay! My graphics card is an ATI Radeon 5860. The important thing is to reconfigure the graphics to match the new system. If you stick with the config that worked best with build 49 you will indeed get only a minimal improvement with build 60.

Moving HDR into the GPU is a vast improvement. The difference is, with build 49 there was nothing I could do to improve framerate, because none of the hardware was ever stretched. With build 60, the GPU went straight to 100% load as soon as there was a car on the track. So now there was something I could work with. Here's the tweak process that worked for me:

I used the AMD system monitor to keep an eye on CPU and GPU load as I fiddled settings.

Set all eye candy to lowest values.
    Turned ON HDR in-game. HDR was impossible to use in build 49. It now runs within the GPU.
    Turn ON AA in game.
    Turn OFF Vsync.
    Turn OFF FXAA sync.
    Set AA in-game to bilinear. (That'll improve with tweaking in a moment...)
    Set both AA & Anisotropic Filtering on the graphics card to use application settings. This is the exact opposite of what worked best with build 49.
    Catalyst AI and Mipmap set to max quality.
    AA Mode set on the card to multi-sample AA. (Stay with me here. With build 49, super-sampling was essential.)

With that config I got 190 FPS, but the graphics sucked. Now it was only a matter of increasing values to balance image vs FPS. I discovered you can get AA to x16 in-game as long as AA mode on-card is multi-sample. If you Super-sample you're doomed, with HDR running in the same place, but multi-sample proved to be adequate. The one thing I couldn't live without was mipmap set to highest quality - that makes a big difference.

What eye candy you set is obviously personal preference, and how much you can get away with depends on your rig, but I found, I could get full driver detail, full texture detail, raindrops, medium shadows and rain and still easily exceed 60 FPS. When increasing candy, make sure GPU load is not always maxed, or it means the card isn't keeping up and you're losing detail. If you have a 60Hz monitor you may as well load on the candy until you're consistently above 60 FPS with a GPU ideally at about 95%. In my case I found the GPU hit max before the FPS dropped below acceptable levels. I can't get full candy, but it's good enough to drive, which it certainly wasn't before, so well done ISI.

1 person likes this.
  9. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Absolutley love this,i did things this way and now my game runs as smooth as hell! ok it might not have the looks but man does it go.

So my thanks go to Gary Corby, Thankyou sir,Thankyou.;)

10. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

The new build is fantastic! Between a new video card, overclocking my CPU, and the new build, I'm now gettting framerates from 40-100, whereas I was previously getting 15-60. Most of the gain came from the video card and CPU overclocking, but the new build got rid of the tiny bit of stuttering I was getting at Monaco and Mills.

And this is running 3 monitors with a resolution of 5040x1050. Nice job, ISI!

11. slawek

slawek Registered

Hi

I would recommend to delete player.plr file before upgrade, I've done it, setup flush previous frame to 1 and I am back on the track, much better frame rate and everything is much smoother. Also setting sync to software helps for me.

12. Pits

Pits Registered

Well I'll be a ....I'm not a teky I just drive the thing.

So this is what I've found with my SLI as it's all I'm interested in, I did the update 5 minutes ago, called "rF2Up_B49-B60_Not_50.exe"

Before update with SLI
    Start single race and go to race 20ish AI and get 22 fps on start line, max's out to 32 as cars disappear and cars look normal

With Update and SLI
    Start single race and go to race 20ish AI and get 57 fps on start line, max's out to 69 as cars disappear and cars look far better, now things are getting smooth.
    This is about 5fps more than running a single card on the start line and 15 more as they dissapear, I do have a lot turned on for the candy as they say, I actually think it's smoother than the extra 5 frames say, anyway to conclude, for me I am very happy with the first update and a big well done guys you have been busy.
    What this means is I can just drive the sim and not come here anymore and let you guys do what you do, it's all Ive ever wanted from the start. Good buy I'm off to race..Wooo smeggin Hooo :)

some computer stuff below, it may help others
    SLI nvidia GT460's, I7 950, SDD drive, 16 gig ram, nothing over clocked, 40" Sony HD res, Win7 Pro 64bit (an actual bought version)

Edit: well this is huge, 117fps online, never had more than 55 and it seems "stuff" looks better, probably because I now see it in real time not a stutter as it flashed by, SLI working correctly now?
    What a difference, all we need is rain on the windscreen and I'd be done.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2012
  13. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I would suggest a new video card as that one is older than I am.

14. Livebrain

Livebrain Registered

tried to rename player.plr but then rfactor doesnt start :/

15. Great update in terms of perfs and ffb ! Thanks ISI ! Thumbs up !

16. BYF

BYF Registered

I've just downloaded and installed the auto update, should I make a new driverv/PLR or is it ok to use my old one?

With the old PLR I changed the "flush previous frame" line to eliminate stutters, and also a steering torque setting to reduce the effects when going off road. Do these settings still need to be changed in the new build?

17. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

It's been stated that it's best to reset the PLR file with the update, incase previous changes have bad effects in the new build.

18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes please revert changes, otherwise you're not using the same product we released.

19. BYF

BYF Registered

Thanks, I'll make a new driver (PLR) so everthing is reset and as it should be.

Edit: How do I remove the old driver and start a new one?

I deleted the Player folder in Userdata, but when I start the game there is no option to create a new driver and when I click player at the bottom of the main menu my old driver name is still there.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
  20. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Well just got a new graphics card, an nvidia GTX 560 TI and the performance is horrible on build 60. I get 2 yes 2 frames per second in Monaco, horrendous lag in the menus, menus overlapping each other and some weird problem with the HDR where it looks like someone set off a nuke at the start of the race. I'm ditching it immeadiately for the previous build.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.