The first update - Build 60

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

That's nothing new

[​IMG]

2. Moderator

Moderator Guest

Well, I'm not going to make myself popular, but have to say this......

I can easily see why the FPS went up, can't you all? The edges of things, cars etc are not smooth anymore; now to get the same, you have to use AA. Also, the trees look worse; back to RF1 quality and they "flicker" too as you drive by or when they go through the screen driving a corner.

Well......it had to be left or right; it must be nicer looking and more fps; can't get both.

So, isn't it so that we now have RF1 with rain, some graphics features and better ffb?
    And that for a waiting period of 5 to 6 years? Shouldn't this already have been an update for RF1, 5 years ago?

Sorry if I sound bitter, but can you really blame me? Some of you probably........but you can't ignore the fact that effectively there is not a 100% change; 80% is still the same.

3. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree. I see no appreciable different in graphics between Race On (too arcadish for me), GSC (an excellent simulator) and iRacing (not worth its cost) and rF2.

I'd have to say also that I am always suspicious of you max-setting's people who get 160 frames on 16AA. You tend to exaggerate. And in the case of the graphics of the three titles you mention, you are exaggerating these games' graphics. GSC has the nicest graphics, on par or maybe slightly superior than rF2's.

Alan

4. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Except that behavior doesn't happen. GPU and CPU utilization stays essentially the same with and without AI.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

more messing about this evening and I still cant get the Stutters to improve like they did in Build49 with the Flush setting, seems they are simply worse (for me at least) in Build60 and I've had to lower some details. The Sync options seems pointless as they dont help at all only to lower FPS (GPU being the worst for this), forcing VSync on in nVidia CP helps matters somewhat.

Adding AI does'nt help as they seem to hog the GPU/CPU as has been found before, even running around on my own I get high FPS but its just not Smooth like it is in rF1, its almost as if the FPS is lying to you in certain sections of tracks!

Wish I could put my finger on it but I think i'm running out of ideas, tried various overrides in nVidia CP but alas pretty much the same results.
    Obviously more optimising (I would hope!) to come during Beta so I'll ride the tide until another update comes out, it is raceable in its current state but only just!

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Those of you with issues, have you undone any of the file changes you may have made manually?

Marc, if the software has a good framerate, but runs badly it can be that the software is out of realtime, are you able to graph your CPU?

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

probably I'll check it out tomorrow for you

8. Sebastian Röhn

Sebastian Röhn Registered

I have the same error after the update...how could you fixed it?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2012
  9. Mulero

Mulero Registered

I made a small comparison to see how much performance has improved. I got average of the FPS for 2 laps for all circuits with exactly same settings in Build 49 and Build 60.

Resolution: 1920x1080
    AntiAliasing: SuperSamplingAA x4
    HDR: ON
    Vsync: OFF
    FXAA: OFF
    Graphics Options: All in MAX
    Texture Filter: X2 Anisotropic
    Special Effects: Full
    Shadows: High

The rest all active except Road Reflection and Environment Reflection. Only my car in practice session.

Portugal Build 49 with Megane: Min 34, Max 47, Average 38.097
    Portugal Build 60 with Megane: Min 38, Max 51, Average 44.748

Malaysia Build 49 with Megane: Min 35, Max 50, Average 42.527
    Malaysia Build 60 with Megane: Min 42, Max 60, Average 48.361

Mills Long Build 49 with Megane: Min 32, Max 47, Average 37.249
    Mills Long Build 60 with Megane: Min 34, Max 48, Average 42.796

Monaco Build 49 with EVE F2: Min 30, Max 53, Average 38.622
    Monaco Build 60 with EVE F2: Min 35, Max 66, Average 47.992

Spa Build 49 with EVE F2: Min 32, Max 51, Average 42.544
    Spa Build 60 with EVE F2: Min 40, Max 69, Average 55.063

Performance has improved slightly but still bad.

For me, the main problem remains its the AntiAliasing. The only way to remove the jaggies is use supersampling X8 but so game performance is very bad.

Putting in supersampling X4 (performance remains poor) are not practically jaggies. But the fences, bleachers and anything that has horizontal lines looks very bad and with a kind of vibration in the texture gets very tired and my view at least, makes me go a headache that I lose all desire to play.

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

My turn!

Install went flawlessly.
    Spend quite a while on Monaco, no AI, just to see what would happen, what several changes would do for me:

Vanilla test: Meh

Renamed player.PLR so the game would create a new plr file and it was an instant improvement right away in FPS
    (i had quite a few tweaks in the PLR file and no idea what they where lol)

I went in and out of the game changing settings and i final came up with:
    HDR:OFF
    FXAA:OFF
    Sync:GPU
    AA:OFF
    The rest stayed the same.
    Same for in-game settings. abit medium overall, full track, player, texture, text. filter Trilinear, effects full. etc etc. But the fancy stuff like raindrops, shadow blur, animations, reflections all OFF.

I went from 60FPS max to 120FPS!!

Online much beter as well although Mills/Meganes now looked much worse but i asume thats they AA turned off. i should test it with AA from GFX card rather then game.

I think my Graphics card is the culprit for me. maybe someone could have a check for me and confirm?

Anyways, great job ISI fella's, keep it up :)

11. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Registered

vsync in driveroptions help a bit but its all other than good or smooth.In singleplayer with the 60's alone on spa its nice exept 2-3 framedrops,but with ki or online is sad.With low or max settings makes no different by me.
    and much more flickering,we already reached the limit with optimations?

12. ORA-Quasi

ORA-Quasi Registered

Skipped over the above posts, but didn't see anything about dedicated server updating.

I'm not seeing any way to run the update on a dedicated server install. Am I meant to use up an activation on the server to use the interface?

Never mind, I worked it out....must be Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
  13. Crippyoh

Crippyoh Registered

graphics graphics always with the graphics...im guessing is same mentality why every movie made now looks real nice ..with a crappy story ..im hoping making a good racing simulation is ISI's #1 priority with eye candy coming in somewhere 2nd or 3rd ..please

14. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Agreed, graphics aren't the best out there, but they certainly aren't as bad as some people make out. Also it's nowhere near finished. I'm much more interested in a proper racing sim instead of all these pseudo sims out there.

15. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I'm not a graphics expert but IMO graphics look great when they're maxed out or close to it. For me number one priority for ISI should be to get the frame rates up to where they should be. If you want BF3 graphics PLAY BF3!!!!!!!!

I think I have a decent system and I'm hoping I'll be able to get a steady 100FPS with almost everything on max.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
  16. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello

Crippyoh Wrote:
    g
    I agree 100% I
    I always thought and said when you are racing hard and on the edge you pay no attention to the tree or what the grass really looks like.
    At least I don't on my system everything looks very good and I get decent FPS so to me ISI can tnoe down the graphics get us better play. and work on the physics side of things. MHO

Ruben M.

17. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Not understanding why people wanna go outside of the default peramenters. Thats your issue Im sure.

18. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Registered

Tried creating a new PLR file, switched to "GPU" sync, no sync, installed new nVidia 290.x drivers, tried with shadow settings turned down (everything was set to max/full before the update). Rebooted a few times along the way. FPS is still about half of what it was before the build 60 update; none of these changes made a repeatable difference. It doesn't bother me so much except that I can really see a difference when it drops below 30. I'm bottoming out around 17 coming out of the garage area, which is really shaky.

Incidentally, I'm using the same car/track combo for all comparisons: F3 at Mills long. But the difference is clearly present with any car/track, if not so marked on every one.

19. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Thanks alot for the 3ds max 2012 plugins, I only just noticed them now.

20. Gary Corby

Gary Corby Registered

ISI, got a question for you. Does the introduction of the FXAA option mean that FXAA has been built into the exe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.