nVidia or ATI card

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

...because rFactor2 is a beta and not a good yardstick for these cards, especially new ones with partial driver support. I can assure you the 570 is not as potent as the 7950 and that gap will only widen. If you want to buy a card exclusively based on benchmarks from a game that needs heavy refining and optimisation... well, I wouldn't advise it. It's not even exclusively a cross-brand thing, though I can't deny rFactor2 doesn't have good ATI support yet. I get much better performance than many people with better cards than I do as established earlier.

2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

3. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

This is not exactly a benchmark, but it is my first lap of Spa with the Formula Renault to test framerate with build 60.
    This was done on my GTX560Ti-SLI system. The framerate is 52-59 as reported by FRAPS and the in-game utility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXSAAGCCBL8

4. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

does your SLI work? my CrossfireX is only runnnig on one gpu :( no matter which I try? I am using the latest 12.3 (12.2 pre-cert driver) I do hope ISI can fix this, as my other games/sims make full use of both cards.

Simon

5. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

@SimonV6
    SLI works for me now. It still need additional optimization to take full advantage of the second card, because the framerate is still faster on one card.
    That said, build 60 update removed the slight 'choppiness' which was there on certain parts of Spa (particularly as I turned at Le Source hairpin) with SLI enabled on build 49.

6. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Thats good to know then, maybe next time us CrossfireX owners will get a boost ;)
    because mine is 0% usage on one card and 70% on the other?

7. Armando

Armando Registered

Do you use fullscreen mode?
    CrossFireX doesn't work in windowed mode, but it's working nicely in my system (2x6850) in full screen.

8. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

yeah full screen mode but crossfire not working here. I get around 60 fps at 1920x1200 with most things on max but when checking my gpu-z there is no load on the second card?

9. Armando

Armando Registered

At first I had that problem, too.
    I have a P5Q-PRO MB, and after updating the BIOS the problem was solved.
    This does not mean that your problem is the same, but it could be anything.

10. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

I will keep checking then, Bios is up to date, also tried the 11.1, 12.1, 12.2 and now 12.3 drivers, checked all the perametres in the bios in case I'd missed something, but the thing is it, it workS for my other games? anyway back to checking stuff lol ;)

11. Flex

Flex Registered

After installing the new build 60, I fixed the problem by recreating a new config.ini and player.plr,and now my 5870 crossfire work at 95/98% usage.

12. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Yeah I finally got mine working doing what you did, so thanks for that :) mine seems to be around 85% & 55%, so there is still room for improvement, but at least my fps went up by around 30 fps :) so I am a happier guy ;)

13. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

Im curious to know if the "micro stuttering" is gone for other crossfire users? I have fiddled with my settings all day but still cant get rid of them with the new build. The stuttering for me is different though, its like its more spread even on whole track, compared to before wich most often was concentrated to the corners. When i disable crossfire in the driver all is back to normal again, no micro stuttering.

14. bmwmaster

bmwmaster Registered

Guys,

i switched from an ATI HD 7970 to an 580 GTX......... normaly it would be a downgrade but for RF2 its a nice upgrade. The 580 gives me better performance and a smoother gameplay with nicer graphics.

So if i had to decide between ATI or Nvidia..........i would take Nvidia......for racing Games they make better Cards and Drivers.

15. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Well my HD6950's gives me all i need right now for rF2 and pCars, seeing as they are the only sims I play right now and still in a Beta/ pre Alpha stage, I don't crave huge fps, anything above 60fps is good enough for me, as I can then vsync my monitor at 60Hz, and all is well.................both sims do that for at the moment, apart from when there are loads of cars on the track at the start.

So I am not about to throw money away on new cards untill the sims are fully released and optimised, but after that, well, we will see lol ;)

Simon

16. taufikp

taufikp Registered

I used to be an nVidia lover, but I made my move to ATI when I saw in The Sims and in a rally game (no, not Richard Burns' nor Colin McRae's, I forgot the name but it was graphically better than RBR and CMR although the physics still bit lacking) that the implementation of water and reflections were tons better in ATI than nVidia. In terms of performance ATI cards were also used to be better than nVidia. But this was in early 2000s, I don't know what the situation now. Is nVidia getting better? Or is ATI getting worst? I don't really know. :rolleyes:

I've been an ATI user for 10 years now. Even at work I also insists on putting an ATI card into my PC. :D

17. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

The general rule is that ATI offers better performance per $ and Nvidia offers better support. The coveted 'fastestcardonthemarketomgzzzzz' spot changes on a nearly monthly basis. I got a 5750 as at the time it was the best performer in its price range as well as drawing significantly less power than its rivals but if that had been true of an Nvidia card I'd have gotten one of them. I generally advise people to research and buy on their own criteria rather than being brand-loyal.

18. Bart S

Bart S Member

Could it be possible your mobo is one 16x lane and 1 8x lane

19. Spyder

Spyder Registered

With the latest Nvidia driver released today I'm able to run triple screens at max settings with HDR enabled, AA at level 4 and getting frames of between 65 and 95 with a 16 car grid, very happy with RF2 now :)

20. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Before to concern about GPU, we have to use CPU and RAM correctly.

View attachment 1566

The stuttering that appears sometimes is obviously related to inefficient CPU / RAM usage. Both Nvidia / ATI good GPUs will deal with RF2 as a breeze after they manage that problem.

Please recollect Config.INI in RFactor 1, there was a bug which set RAM = 0 kb instead of the correct amount RAM size that you have in your system. When you correct it manually to 4096, 6048 whatever using Notepad, the stutters go away.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012