Trying to decide between the Thrustmaster T500RS and the Fanatec CSR Elite wheels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KorrMuraan, Feb 12, 2012.

1. KorrMuraan

KorrMuraan Registered

The only thing I don't like about the T500RS is the fixed paddles. What's really scaring me off the T500RS though, is the reviews regarding quality control and the support experiences.

The CSRE seems very well built. I don't like the Xbox branding and I wonder if I'll even use the little thumbpad though I assume it can be remapped to the vastly superior PC controls ;). Now, I've seen some startup tests on the T500 and it's very quick, which I want. I've not seen a speed test with the CSRE, anyone got a vid link?

Any other wheel alternatives I should consider sub$500?

As for the shifter... I can't see any reason not to get the Thrustmaster TH8RS. It looks amazing, I love the fact that it's 7+1 and the reviews I've seen all give it high praise. The Fanatec (and I may be wrong) shifters seem to be plastic and of much lesser quality.

... really though, would 7 just be overkill? I'm used to slapping it to the right to get to fifth, in which case I'd overshoot my gate.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  2. KorrMuraan

KorrMuraan Registered

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

In December I went with the t500RS (I found it on special and it was a lot cheaper than the CSRE) but since I have CSP's already, it was a no-brainer.

If you can get the CSRE with the load cell brake for under $500, that's the way to go. The pedals are the most important piece of the pedal set, and a load cell brake is the way to go. For performance, but high cost, go for this wheel. I can't comment on the build quality, but I can say I've had several issues with these CSP's.

I love the T500rs and TBH I have never even plugged in the pedals so I can't comment on them. I use it with a g25 shifter. I would recommend the t500rs if you can find it cheap. The performance and quality of this wheel are where it shines. The pedals are adjustable and the FFB is awesome with this thing.

When it comes to bang-for-the-buck though, you can't beat the G27. The wheel itself is well made, comes with the h-shifter, great price. My G25 was built to last (I had it 5 years- the pedals lasted 4years and a friend of mine has the wheel and it's still in use). Not the greatest pedals.

4. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

\
    That clicking would get me a Bottle to the back of my hed if I had that wheel setup in the Living room...
    I really like the G27 Wheel, The pedals leave me a little pissed since they are of fairly poor quality, still makes me think im playing with a console feeling.

5. Novis

Novis Registered

The T500RS F1 wheel have paddles on the wheel.

The Fanatec CSW has no Xbox support and excel CSR Elite in every way.

6. coops

coops Banned

why buy the elite unless you have an xbox. just get the gt3 wheel and csp pedals

7. Novis

Novis Registered

Because it's a better wheel?

8. coops

coops Banned

so will the new clubsport wheel.......... so why not wait for it no xbox crap with it

9. Novis

Novis Registered

That is exactly what I wrote the post above yours. Why should he by a GT3 then?

10. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

You know the fixed shifters took me about a week to get used to, but now they are better than moving shifters. I'm used to it and they work much better for me now that I'm acclimated.

11. KorrMuraan

KorrMuraan Registered

CSW? That's this http://youtu.be/SgnxlWXs_CY right?
    Is it not out yet? The vid is from mid last year and says the wheel will be available later in 2011...

12. Novis

Novis Registered

Yeah, exactly. I haven't got a clue what's going on there. I know it was delayed due to production problems with the Elite wheel but nothing has been heard from it lately.

13. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Thomas wrote on Fanatec blog that CSW wheel will be avalible probably in april.

14. Criss

Criss Registered

If you don't really need Xbox360 compatibility I'd say go for T500RS. Considering you can pick it up from pretty much any electronic store, support from Thrustmaster is great (from my personal experience though).

15. thuGG

thuGG Registered

But CSR-E is a better wheel, so I'd go for CSR-E.

16. KorrMuraan

KorrMuraan Registered

Cool, thanks guys :)

I'm willing to wait if it's only a month or so away. I'd rather jump to the best, then drop several hundred and still be wanting the next model later in the year. Buying incrementally is far more expensive.

I'm drooling over this too... http://youtu.be/enuhpqGwOCs
    Hopefully they'll have a set w/ this rim and the base.

17. thuGG

thuGG Registered

@KorrMuraan
    I'm also waiting for CSW with BMW rim.
    I hope it's not delayed even more.

18. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I'd like to buy a CSR-E (as far as I know, it works on all plataforms - PC, PS3 and Xbox), but there's no a single unity available to sale here in Brazil. Yes, not even a single one. There're plenty of T500RS for sale, but I disliked the fixed paddles. You might say it's a get-used-to question, but the experience in F1 or openwheelers is already destroyed: the paddles should not move. And to buy a F1 add-on is not a option since is very weird to drive a GT car with that Ferrari's steering wheel. The non-included H-shifter is also a pain in ass.

For now, I'm with the old G25. If I lived in EU/USA I would bought a different wheel. :(

19. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

20. coops

coops Banned

go the csw and th8rs shifter cant go wrong. i am, only need the csw, and the th8rs is bloody brilliant would recommend.