armco at Spa doesn't keep you on the track side

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ricknau, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I would like to be able to hit the Armco at Spa at a glancing angle and not be catupulted over it. Seems like it doesn't do what Armco was designed to do. And I only get that effect at Spa (not Monaco, the only other track I've driven). It's like the railing is not perpendicular to the ground but angled so you rise up on impact.

Also, (I can hear it now... "just keep it on the track!"), why have a bunch of barb wire that prevents one from re-taking the track? If I somehow survive the flight over the fence and can still drive the car, why not let me get back onto the track? Why create all that drivable space on the other side of a barrier that is going to end my session?

I'm sure there are realism arguments to be made. If I have damage turned up then the the car will be damaged and the session will be over. There's your realism. But if damage is off or I just get lucky and I'm not crippled then let me back in.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  2. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I've also gotten frustrated when I had the 60s cars on the wrong side of the barbed wire. It would be nice to either have something like Shift-R in GPL or make the barbed wire only have collision detection on one side. Actually the game might have a crash recovery keystroke but I couldn't find it in the menu system. Hitting the "E" key while in the sand at Mills didn't seem to do anything.

3. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I have posted before that the wire fence at Spa should not be solid (logic). I wonder if they can change the material it is made of so it can be knocked down, perhaps similar to the hay bales.

4. sg333

sg333 Registered

My biggest issue with the barbed wire is that i frequently get stuck in it. The wheel seems to go through to the other side, and you're stuck forever.

5. coops

coops Banned

well keep the thing on the track...... that's were your suppose to be driving...... and most cars in real life that go that far off track dont usually return back to the race.. its a simulator not a console game

tell them to put a tow truck in for you guys PMSL

6. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

as I predicted...

7. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Does that mean barriers, armco, gravel traps or any other areas shouldn't be fixed (if there were problems with them) because you shouldn't be there anyway? Silly comment.

In rFactor 2 the wire fence can bounce you back onto the track if you just glance it at a decent angle.

If it was real life you'd go through it and end up in the paddock tens of metres away from the track.

8. ROON

ROON Registered

I agree that the issue of being trapped behind the fencing needs to be resolved. As much as I despise notorious 'invisible walls' in games, perhaps the best solution would be to place one directly where the fence is so that instead of going hurtling over it and being trapped in grassy fields, you'll bounce off it and still remain 'in' the track so to speak. I can't imagine ISI making the fences destructible so we can drive back on, but that would be the best option.

:rolleyes: If you haven't got any constructive input, then why chip in at all?

9. coops

coops Banned

Does that mean barriers, armco, gravel traps or any other areas shouldn't be fixed (if there were problems with them) because you shouldn't be there anyway? Silly comment.

yes your right your comment is over the top and you have made a silly example so stop trying to start a fight

10. coops

coops Banned

hey roon wheres your constructive comment and you answered your own ? PMSL

11. ROON

ROON Registered

Oh the irony...

12. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I don't think one-sided fences are the way to go.

For my Longford circuit i've generally left gaps or put in fictional gates in the fences, in the corner of paddocks or besides buildings. So, you can't get back on the road immediately, but if you explore for a few moments there is usually/always a way back to the road.

I see it as a compromise to maintain the players enjoyment without grossly deviating from "reality".

Since Longford has paddocks galore there are a bunch of real gates in the fences anyway. :cool:

13. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Absolutely brilliant work on Longford, punched many a lap around it in the 71 mod. One of my favourite rFactor circuits ;)

14. ROON

ROON Registered

+1 - Love that circuit.

Any plans to convert it for rF2, woochoo? Pleeeeease? :D It'd be such fun with the historical formula cars.

15. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Thanks for the compliments guys.
    Yes :) I've done some work on it already, getting things in order. Won't be a matter of weeks, but it will be done sometime.

16. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah it's usually the same with Spa. There usually is a way back on-track.

I find it hard not to make the argument that your race should be over if you ever crash in these cars, personally, as it would have been in real life, but I do understand the points being made. I'll bring it up, but I don't know how much time they'll put into it.

By the way, in the 60's the cars would often go straight through armco, or if well-built they would disintegrate on impact (there was no regulations on construction). Men were decapitated by fencing... You know, it just wasn't a place where you wanted to lose control, so driving within your limits was always the order of the day (and is why you guys will beat the real life records on every historic track).

18. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Maybe lighten up on the "reality" during offline practice. I can dig a certain degree of realism during a race but in my real life i can only devote so much time to a hobby. Making practice sessions a little more efficient would be helpful.

19. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

Really? Maybe it's just where I tend to crash, but most areas are completely fenced in; I feel very lucky when I can actually find a way back on track. This only really affects me in offline play, where I use invulnerability. If I crash, I just want to finish the rest of the lap to start another timed one (online is a different story though--when I crash I accept death).

Considering your last point...is the fencing at Spa ever going to be "flimsy"? The only real gripe I have about rF2 is objects you can hit:

-cow catch fencing ("barbed wire"?): you should fly right through it, almost as if it wasn't there. It feels weird hitting a flimsy fence at 180+ and the car bounces off it...a regular car driving at city speeds can knock down a traffic light pole (I've seen it happen in the city).
    -hay bales: right now they are big boxes...would be great if they were "squishy"--meaning you got absorbed into them--even better if they exploded. In real life, when you hit a hay bale, it doesn't stay as a box and literally bounce on the tarmac. I'm not 100% sure what a hay bale should act like, but it's not like rF2.
    -hard fences (like the barrier at Les Combes) make you FLY over them (subject of this thread). I think that might be more due to the way rF handles crash physics though...

The more I think about it though, the less this seems possible. For example, a dynamic fence with posts that can be dislodged and wires that a car can get slowed down/trapped by sounds really cool, but a huge resources hog...

20. ROON

ROON Registered

But you do scrub off a significant amount of speed if you hit the bales, and that is their primary function, right? I don't mind them being rigid and spreading across the track, but what does bother me is when they stay there for the entire race and every time I want to pass through Eau Rouge I have to slow down to about 15kph to weave my way through a labyrinth of obstacles.