Real Head Motion Plugin 1.0

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by magicfr, Feb 11, 2012.

1. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Well, guys I wanted to wait for more feedback about the new version :)

But , I can do an "official" release with the new algorihtm , so I will rename the variable correctly and compile a rf1 version.
    Tonight I have to work on my DIY FFB wheel, so I'll do it tomorow evening.

Cheers,
    Seb

2. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

With the rF2 version, the head camera moves forward when I brake and back when I accelerate, but when I go over kerbs, both the cockpit and the horizon tilt. Does this sound to you like it's working?

In the rF1 version, when I go over a kerb, the cockpit tilts, but the horizon doesn't, which is the behavior I expect.

3. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Flatspotter, seems that it's not working for you in rF2, it should be very similar to rF1 even with test version.

4. magicfr

magicfr Registered

RealHeadMotion 1.1 released for rf2 and rf1.

Cheers.
    Seb

5. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Anyone tryied? Is already without the annoying recently discovered slope behaviour?

6. MMartin

MMartin Registered

R: Real Head Motion Plugin 1.0

For me it`|s fine. But I didn`t tried the previous versions :)

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

This is a really nice plugin for sure and does what it says on the tin as far as mimicing what your head should be doing.

Just finished trying it for a total of 6 hours and then reverted back to default for 30 mins to compare the difference.

Verdict...

Very nice smoothing of vision and seems to make the camera react like your head would irl. However, I have found this has a negative impact on my driving performance. The resulting camera motion seems to "numb" my ability to read the car's pitch and rotation angles and rates which made it much more difficult to remain consistent and to find and then stay on the/my limit.

Before testing this and having only watched the video i thought this was a really neat idea (and I still do) only now to notice that there are some negative side affects that if true are an issue to a racing game. It's much like the balance of best graphics with vsync video vs least input lag without vsync video. For any hardcore sim racing, your going to want the latter even if you really wanted the best graphics 99.9% as much as the low input lag. Unfortunately, I see the same holding true with this plugin.

I think the overarching problem comes from the fact there we don't experience G forces and hence rely on the visual cues of what the car is doing. By having your vision fixed to the cars means you get a sense of what the car experiences much more accurately. This plugin sort of accommodates for the drivers reaction of the G forces experienced (and does it bloody marvellously) but resultantly removes or at least severely limits the fidelity of the visual cues for how the car is reacting to the G forces experienced.

Without being able to physically experience these G forces in the drivers seat, i think makes the visual cues of the utmost importance to a driver to enable them to drive more consistently closer to the limit.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
  8. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Very good observations DrR1pper! I'm currently not using this plugin and instead drive with rF2's original settings cut in half (head motion/vibration related stuff at player.pln).

Still looking forward for Real Head Motion 2!

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I'm going to try that...exactly half to all motion/vibration related stuff?

10. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I think these are the lines I've changed from player.pln:

Code:
    Cockpit Vibration Mult1="0.50000"
    Cockpit Vibration Freq1="15.50000"
    Cockpit Vibration Mult2="0.50000"
    Cockpit Vibration Freq2="18.50000"
    Didn't do any fine tuning so roughly first set it to 20% and then to 50% which felt good so left to that. :)

Can't remember if changed something from controls. Here's my current settings if you want to do some comparison:

View attachment 6435

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Interesting upper limit brake pedal dead-zone. What sensitivity level/number have you set your brakes to on the sensor?

I'm going to guess least sensitive and then calibrated with dead-zone as desired?

12. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Load cell sensor is set to 10 (so it requires least pressure to get maximum braking). So yeah it's least sensitive. Damper oil is the one with higher viscosity (less resistance and faster movement) and spring force is set to lowest. Even those weren't enough for my current seat/pedal combination so pressing brake pedal to max caused my seat to tilt backwards. Therefore had to put some dead-zone to upper limit.

I need a proper driving seat. :)

13. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol, don't we all. :p

14. starrlio

starrlio Registered

nothing change for me in RF2 cocpit view even if I properly setup player.PLR and set head motion to 0 in game. Is the defaut realheadmotion.ini make a difference or do i change parameters inside? which parameters for instance? thanx.

15. Olivier Prenten

Olivier Prenten Registered

This plugin is a winner! Very good job! ;)

16. coops

coops Banned

used it since it came out love it hope this is just as gd or better than the last 1.

17. Gugus

Gugus Registered

That’s my exact thoughs.
    More than that, there is also the fact that with the default values of this plugin, the cockpit moves around the screen, but the wheel doesnt. I find that pretty weird.

However, I think this plugin is a great improvment, and should be integrated upstream since it really enhances the driver experience.
    I’ll have to test and tweak it more before definitely using it, or not.

;)

18. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Just wanted to report that this plugin failed to load twice for me today during a major event :(. I don't know what is to blame but wanted to report it here in case something needs to be changed especially if has happened to others and especially since if it doesn't load then camera is glued to car and can make you sick and especially because trackmap plugin worked but this didn't. Thanks.

19. SuperMelon

SuperMelon Registered

This is great add-on!:D

Couldn't play without it on 3 monitors set (and 29 FOV) - build in cockpit camera shakes so badly it is no more fun to drive... BUT with this plug-in case almost solved.

I'd like to report it works in Game Stock Car 2013 (not much surprise, I guess) making this game an ultimate driving experience for me (I'm long time iRacing driver, but now I'm stuck with GSC'13!).

There's one thing I can not find out how to tweak - In very bumpy tracks on stiff suspension e.g. Stock Car V8 on Taruma track) there's still lot of camera shaking a can't get rid of.
    Tried to modify PitchFilterDuration/RollFilterDuration values but no luck so far.

How to make camera to shake even less on the bumps? Can you help? Shaking the cockpit instead of the camera works for me very well in iRacing, can the same be done here?

And I'll be happy to donate your plugin :)

20. Hazi

Hazi Registered

in the player file change:
    Cockpit Vibration Mult1="0.00000" // Primary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
    Cockpit Vibration Freq1="0.00000" // Primary rate of vibration affects eyepoint position (higher framerates allow higher rates)
    Cockpit Vibration Mult2="0.00000" // Secondary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint orientation (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
    Cockpit Vibration Freq2="0.00000" // Secondary rate of vibration affects eyepoint orientation