can someone explain night lighting

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by les, Feb 10, 2012.

1. les

les Registered

i know you need a gmt for night lighting as far as the night light glow not sure

this is a screen shot i have of the glow which works but should not show up during the day i dont think at least in joesville it does not show up but at night there is no lighting i mean the lights dont come on

i used to use 3dsimed for this but that does not work for rfactor 2 so im at a loss can someone give me a an example code for the track file and what to make a gmt with so it shows light is it an omni light if so how do i make a gmt from that

View attachment 1084

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Nevermind, I was wrong here ...

1 person likes this.
  3. Gmilno

Gmilno Registered

Thanks . . . that's 1 question answered . . . in my track there is no light emitted onto the track or any trackside objects from the omni's . . . did i miss something ?

4. Luc Van Camp

Are the objects set to receive Omni light? In the Exporter's Instance rollout, make sure Omni is checked in the Shading section.

5. les

les Registered

nightlighting

ok thanks for the glow to correct that but what about the light itself at night i get no lights that are on

what do i need to do in 3ds max to make the lighting show up

this is from the joesville track

Light=NightLight00
    {
    Type=Omni Pos=(32.016705, 8.781423, -12.574434) Range=(0.000000, 37.000000) Active=True Intensity=(2.000000) Color=(255, 255, 255)

in 3ds max do i creat a omni light and name it nightlight00 and if so does it export as a gmt

this is where i am confused about the nightlighting

thanks for your time on this

6. Gmilno

Gmilno Registered

perfect thank you Luc . . . right now the learning curve is pretty steep . . . thanks again for helping to go up another [small] notch :)

7. les

les Registered

ok i tagged them as visual group c but the glow still shows up during the day im not sure what i am doing wrong or the correct setting

i went and looked at joesville and the visual group 36

when i changed them to visual group c the the scene file shows them in my map as visual group 4

anyone help me please

8. Gmilno

Gmilno Registered

VisGroups=(38) works for me . . . as in Joesville scn . . .

9. les

les Registered

ok i tried 38 the glow still shows up during the day, in the exporter what are your settings for the night glow gmt

10. ethone

ethone Registered

Try 1024. IIRC that's what it was in rF1.

1 person likes this.
  11. Luc Van Camp

Not sure what I was thinking there ... I'll blame it on the cold weather :) . VisGroup C actually removes the object from the scene when Track Detail is set to Low.
    So, for example, Joesville's night glow is set to VisGroup 38, which means VisGroups B, C and F are checked. Here's an overview of the VisGroups: http://wiki.rfactor.net/index.php?title=VisGroups .

I don't have any experience setting up night lights, but I'd think the glows are linked to the Omni name. NightLight01 > NightLight01Glow. That's about all I can think of to make the game engine turn them on.

12. les

les Registered

ok i was reading scotts rf1 tutorial on adding lights i think im going to have to get with scott somehow on adding omni's in 3ds max
    in his track tutorial it does not explain how to get the omni's from 3ds max to ingame not sure how that works or how to do it. scott if you have time or someone knows how to get the omni's from 3ds max to ingame explain or do a tutorial for us newbies. i can place an onmi in 3ds max thats the easy part, but figuring out how to put those in game is beyond me

13. les

les Registered

1024 was correct to remove from the daytime ty for that the glow is gone

14. bison160

bison160 Registered

Ill have to do some searching for where I got it, but I have a max script that converts Spheres's to the correct lines in max. I don't believe you NEED to export anything from max though. There is nothing that goes in the mas for the lighting. You just need the location and range for the lighting. So just place a sphere where you want the light to be emmited from. Use the location of the sphere for the location of your NIGHTLIGHT instance. And the radius of the sphere becomes your range. The color is self explanitory...a white light would be (255,255,255) RGB color.

As far as getting the glows to come one with the night lights, the instance name of the glow in your scn needs to match one your nightlights. You CAN list several glow models under the same instance.

EDIT: Also, make sure that your location is input as X,Z,Y.

1 person likes this.
  15. dydy77

dydy77 Registered

Code:
    Instance=[B]nightlight37glow[/B]
    {
      MeshFile=nightlight37glow.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False 
    }
    Light=[B]NightLight37[/B]
    {
     Type=Omni Pos=(647.190918, 48.943829, -154.636322) Range=(0.000000, 30.000000) Active=True Intensity=(1.000000) Color=(230, 235, 155)
    }
    Set the same name without 'glow' for your light name, and your glow object will appear only at night ! without Light= , your glow will already appear (day and night)

So one glows object need one associated Light instance !

16. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Create > Lights > Standard > Omni. Rename them to nightlight##. Select them all > click make scene file.

You can use the rename function in max to rename them all.
    You can also modify all the lighting paramaters in max.

17. les

les Registered

18. les

les Registered

when i move the lights more toward the track to get the outside wall the lights above go more grey like there not getting enough light to them so i am thinking of adding lights on the inside of the track too just not sure 40 lights are in the scene now

19. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I'd put them over the centre of the track, not where the actual light objects are. You want the light to be where it is going to end up, not where it shines from. You can adjust the paramaters and make the spread wider to cover the grandstands if you wish, turn on 'Use hardware shading' so you can see what they light is really doing (I think).
    3dsmax 2012-02-13 14-54-29-03.jpg 3dsmax 2012-02-13 14-54-37-86.jpg 3dsmax 2012-02-13 14-54-42-93.jpg

20. les

les Registered

i renamed them selected them all and did scene file and nothing shows up in the scene file
    what is suppost to show up in the scene file ??