Graphics are Great WTF are people saying rf 1 ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sean_S36, Feb 4, 2012.

1. tsunamibr

tsunamibr Registered

Still, I don't think the performance hit should be that severe to people with high end cards. Besides, half of the list you mentioned are rather up to the CPU, not the GPU. We know we are still in beta, and there obviously are optimizations to do, so I still don't see performance as a serious isse (although I do think people must manifest about it). The graphics engine, yes.

Rodrigo

2. tsunamibr

tsunamibr Registered

I read a post of MaXyM in another thread, and it's an excelent talk about the rF2 graphics engine. I'm not a modder, but I do know a little about graphics. I'll re-post it here, I hope he agrees with that:

And I'll complement his last phrase: Have you already seen the latest screenshots from Assetto Corsa? Now, that is a small company.

Rodrigo

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Did the graphics get worse from the videos and screenshots that were released before we got our hands on rF2 beta? I've looked at the pre release vids and screenshots and I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong?

So I'm not really sure how you can complain saying they aren't good enough for you when you had a unedited look at what you were getting. You were plenty forewarned you were getting a unfinished product and were also advised if you felt uneasy about that that you should wait until gold release at which time there would also be a demo available. :confused:

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Okay My GTX570SOC performs as well as most GTX580 1536mb, certainly as good as a Vanilla.
    I dont have MAX settings
    Level 6, HDR-OFF, FXAA - OFF , SUN-OFF , something else blur is it. ?
    24 F1 at Spa Fraps test for 2 minutes off startline gave 45 - 130 - 79 but
    I don't really remember seeing much above 100.
    I run single 1920 , GTX570 monsters it for mine.
    I would love 60fps minimum in everything, sure. :)
    Which would be my point for rF you do not need more frames.
    All I really worry about these days is lower framerate
    I have 300fps in rFactor with lighter mods and standard settings I guess
    ...but not how I run it usually 32 V8 Supercars and a heavy track, maxxed settings the old girl knows she is workin
    Also I never see a blip or stutter, lag since upgrade , not that I did with GTX460 SLi either, very happy. :)
    I know SLi has been improved from driver, it did not seem to help much.
    Excuse me if the issue is 3 screens because last build is good frames for me.

I don't think even with improved SLi my GTX460SLi would have kept up.

Anyone looking for a good single monitor card and like Nvidia I would watch GTX570 prices.
    I wonder how 2 of those Galaxy GTX560 "slims" would go, bit cheaper then my GTX570 SOC
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19829

5. Spyder

Spyder Registered

... You're right, I don't need 300fps in RF2. But given that I can max every other sim I have with triple screens with my 580s or single 680 I'm looking for similiar performance from RF2 , and you shouldn't have to turn anything off with your 570 at your resolution to hit a minimum 60fps! As I've said before I couldn't care less about the graphical quality improving as I think it's okay at the moment, just looking for performance now.

6. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Man, I am now so envy with you nVidia guys! :(

Next upgrade project: nVidia! AMD seems to be very slow at pushing/optimizing their driver's performance (even though they have monthly update schedule).

7. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Look at what AA setting he is running. No wonder he gets so low FPS.
    I also have GTX570 slightly OC, also 2500k (OC 4.5GHZ). I have everything on MAX, except I have AA Level 3, also 1920x1080. I don't think I've ever seen less than 70 FPS.

You say you can max every other sim? Try pCARS :p

8. Spyder

Spyder Registered

If you want to be an arse and talk about another sim that is in pre-alpha and as yet un-optimized then fine, I was referring to iracing, Dirt 3 and F12011... I run the Codie's games with 8xmsaa in triple screen at an average of 75fps and minimum of 65fps.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with the rfactor fanboys here, as I've said time and time again I'm just looking for better performance than we currently have, I think we'd all be happy with that.

9. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I think we have got a small misunderstanding here....it's not a sim :rolleyes:

10. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I'm surprised you don't compare fps with 800x600 ;)
    without hdr and sun (I don't know if you mean sun occlusion or sun glare?) you missed half a pleasure. Enable it to get better experience. But fps will drop significantly.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I have never been keen on HDR, bloom, blur, etc. and the sun hurts my eyes as sunny pCARS circuit do.
    I have to run it cloudy.

GTA4 I did not like ENB , not because of framerate just does not appeal to me.

No HDR looks less natural but I like the sharper definition, extra framerate don't hurt either.

I did not get that much of a hit from Level 4 > Level 6 so I kept it not that it has improved anything I can see.

12. Spyder

Spyder Registered

I actually agree with you about enb, I tried it with skyrim too but ended up replacing it with the RCRN mod. However I think RF2s HDR is okay, a little washed out at the mo but its too much of an fps killer for me to use at the moment.

13. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I don't have a top-system but rf2 definitly looks better than rf1. Luc's new texture-style is a hugh step forward in track-texturing.
    Realtime-reflections, realtime shadows and specially the realtime fast-line build up are the other clear visible features beside the sun-flare and the HDR effect and the Cloud-to-lightning effect.

Uhm,... :rolleyes: This game is carrying a big bag of candy.

14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Use sunglasses then ;)

15. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Don't look at other games. Many of them still abuse HDR to get tons of bloom. HDR has nothing to do with bloom actually.

Usually, whenever you turn on HDR in game, a lot of bloom appears aswell. This is why many gamers think of HDR as of some bloom effect.

The true power of HDR is the ability to render scene using real life intensity of lighting (high range) and then put that on screen using tone mapping (dynamic range).
    Some extra features you get are also realistic reflections and blending.

Personally I can't imagine realtime graphics without HDR nowadays. You can get some good results without HDR but never good enough.
    And HDR itself doesn't spoil anything - it's the bloom that need to get out of the way, not HDR. Bloom is good for strong light sources and strong reflections, but it shouldn't be used to make objects glow when they get only a bit brighter than surroundings.

I like rF2's HDR - you will not find any excessive bloom here :) Although since build 60 HDR is not working properly, but it will be fixed for sure. Then it will be all about scene lighting being set properly.

16. feels3

You don't appreciate the power of HDR.
    It's very powerful tool. :)

This is my shot from Croft with my experimental HDR settings.
    Without HDR it looks only a bit better than rf1.

Shot is from early morning.

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/croft/pblc/isi/GRAB_497.JPG

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

U better delete that post and link RIGHT NOW, according to some people in this forum rFactor 2 looks no better than rFactor 1, so that picture must be fake!! LOLOL

18. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

LoL
    The people that say that must run with all the new features disabled. I havent tried turning everything off, but im pretty sure without hdr and realtime reflections rf2 would look a lot like rf1.
    I even remember 1 guy saying gpl looks better LOL.

19. FONismo

FONismo Registered

It's a nice shot full of atmosphere and environmental detail. One thing that stands out to me is the sky though, it looks a bit oil painting for want of a better word. Hope that makes sense. The right side inpaticular where it has the yellow

20. feels3

Yes I know that it still needs improvements. I'm working on this.
    This is only my experiment with HDR.
    I'm newbie in lighting so I need a while to learn how everything should work.