Graphics are Great WTF are people saying rf 1 ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sean_S36, Feb 4, 2012.

1. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

no you still need supersampling to get of the jagies properly :(

2. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Well for one, rF2 has modding. That's quite a big one.
    I'll have you know that the physics engine in pCARS is far from simple. They have a lot of work ahead of them to get everything working right, but the tech itself is top notch and can withstand comparison with any racing sim out there. And they're improving it all the time (not to imply that ISI, Kunos, Simbin et all aren't).
    A very different project, yes, especially in the sense that rF2 is primarily a modding platform, which pCARS won't be. But other than that they're going for full on physics, full on day-night transition, full on dynamic track features, full on weather, etc. etc., just like rF2 is. They're over a year from even the preliminary guesses for release dates, and pretty much the only thing they've been able to utilize from their previous project with their engine is the graphics side, the physics need to be constructed nearly from scratch. Compare this to ISI who've been able to build their physics on their previous extensive (and great) work with rF1 (and other projects). It's far too early to make up your mind about what the game is going to be like when released. This is the first time in gaming history that people actually have access to such an early product, before you would hardly have even seen or heard from the game in such early stages, let alone have any idea how it handles at that point. Games can change hugely going from beta to release, and they're not even in alpha yet. Absolutely no need to pass judgment when they're just starting with it.

I like rF1. I like RBR. I like nKP. I like LFS. I like GT-R Evolution (and all that's come after it). I have never played iRacing due to the insane costs involved (for my budget), but I bet I'd like it also. All of them have something the others don't, and all of them have pretty major faults, none of them is anywhere near perfect. I like the promise I see in rF2 beta and pCARS pre-alpha, and I'm eagerly anticipating Assetto Corsa and GTR3. I feel no need to bash any of the existing games, or especially upcoming projects that are far far far away from being finished, just because they're not my favorites. They all help create competition, which drives the future games forward to even greater heights. Not long ago racing sims were a dying breed with a future full of doubts, but now there's lots to play and enjoy and more to look forward to. Am I really the only gamer that feels like this?

3. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I have nothing against SMS and I appreciate their work especially their graphics engine, but calling C.A.R.S physic engine as top notch is just misunderstanding.

I tried it and honestly I know a lot of mods on rfactor 1 which feels much better than this.
    I wish them all the best but for now in terms of physic C.A.R.S is far away from top sims as rf2, iRacing or Nkpro.

Of course you can say it is pre-alpha, but rf2 is in early stage of development too, iRacing also is groving up each day.

Don't get me wrong, this is good game but it should be compared to Forza, Gran Turismo or even some NFS series.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2012
  4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It is really doesn't matter if Cars has better gfx or not. SMS just show us that better gfx is possible. Fact is, that better gfx may be achieved on our computers (not hi-end), without hitting system performance too much, and without need of being EA.

So, it is only matter of ISIs choice - nothing more nothing less.

BTW: If some one doesn't care about gfx, but only about physics, he shouldn't vote for letting gfx suxx (as well as you never ask blind for colors). There are a lot of people (including me) for whom gfx or sound are also important for whole sim. Because our brain doesn't work based on believing but is stimulated by various external impulses. It is area in which gfx is very important. You believe or not.

5. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I would bet that if this was WMD forums this thread would have been locked and a few of you would have received your refunds and not allowed access to this forum.

Just saying. ;)

Personally I think this thread has become silly.

6. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Just because the physics aren't yet tuned to where they need to be doesn't mean that the physics engine itself is in some way lacking. You can take the pMotor from rF1 and by applying the correct settings tune it to behave like Wipeout. Even a top notch physics engine can be tuned wrong. When every single car in the game at the moment is WIP and all of them at completely different levels of progress (many haven't had physics updates in ages while the devs have been focusing on other cars), it's very hard to get a feel for how nuanced the underlying engine actually is. They are still working with the basics of the engine, not fine tuning it. Everything is still pretty much up for grabs.

The Madness engine is definitely a great engine, but at the moment suffers from having been used in the Shift series, where some very unsavory things were forced into the game by publisher demands. Give them time to work with it, and the results will speak for themselves. For quite a large part these are the guys that made GTR2 and GTL what they are, they know how to do a racing sim. They're moving ahead constantly, listening to the community, always tackling the problems when they pop up, and from what I've seen the majority of the community wants it to be a no holds barred sim (which incidentally doesn't mean that the cars must be impossibly hard to drive, mind you).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
  7. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

there is an Rfactor2 thread on there and think its up to over 100 pages by now lol ;) we are only upto 11 here, so plenty more to go yet ;)

8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Difference being that the people here are "paying customers", whereas the people over at WMD are "team members". Two completely different things with different responsibilities, obligations and privileges. Customers always get more lenience when it comes to outright badmouthing something. If you're the boss and your team member underlings instead of giving productive feedback are being disrespectful towards their colleagues, the product and you, you sack them. You exactly can't do that to a customer.
    That it definitely has. =)

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

The physics engine in Shift/Shift2 has very strong connection with ISI's physics engine we know from rFactor 1 or SimBin titles. Maybe SMS did some changes (but if so, those are minor for sure - just look at the parameters in car files) but tyre model remains the same.

Just like in iRacing, in pCARS you can't check what physics engine can do (and what it can't). That's not an issue with both rFactor titles. So those beeing modding platforms, are open and you know what you have (and what it can do).

10. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

I don't think anyone is "Bad Mouthing" rF2, infact I LOVE IT, the spa67 track is awesome, so roll on the modders......they made rF1 look awesome, so no doubt they will work their magic on rF2 too? :)

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

yeah.. rf1 is awesome.. after 7 years and limited to to a few mods/tracks.
    To be honest I would like to get awesome product at start. Who wouldn't?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
  12. Killf4ce

Killf4ce Registered

i was about to jump on the graphics moan bandwagon untill i saw a post by a dev on anbother thread saying that this beta in its current stage isnt to test the graphics but the packaging and everything else and the graphics are not finished yet, so that considered i think they are fine as they are at this stage... and of course ther will be hq mods etc, thats pretty standard withpc games these days so i'll save my moaning for another day! :p

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Devs also said, that gold will be released in about 6 months. Think about it.

14. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

No Maxym... they said, gold will be released not earlier than after about 6 months of beta testing period. Yes, their target was/is at that "about 6 months" but if necesary, beta period may last much longer.

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yes, you are right. They are targeting. But it doesn't change a point.

16. Alesi

Alesi Registered

the graphics will not change dramatically.. only if some users can made a hole work instead of ISI and make track and cars and all other stuff

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

To improve gfx quality ISI must do the work fixing things in gfx engine (lighting model, better shaders). Making models and textures better is not enough. So no - modders cannot improve rF2 in this area.
    Maybe ShaderPack done by modders may be a light in a tunel. But it will never be considered as the standard IMO. That's why I would like to see correct and complete gfx engine in native product.

1 person likes this.
  18. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Really the only issue ISI need to address is the shaders. Well, the first and foremost - RF1 modders and certain members demonstrated just how much can be done if ISI improve or allow us to improve the material shaders and the results are dramatic.

19. ORA-Quasi

ORA-Quasi Registered

Still a shame there is no DX11. However, the graphics are still a big step up from RF1 (which was actually pretty good with quality mods and tracks).

20. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It isn't. Or it doesn't matter. Explained hundred times.
    But of course it would be better if newer DX will be supported. It will allow to not install dx9 into the system.

It wasn't pretty good. Has a lot of issues. Also pointed hundred times.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2012