No LAN without Pay-To-Play???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PCG-Smee, Jan 28, 2012.

1. froncek7

froncek7 Registered

I think You miss the point of the question. What if YOUR (ISI) server will be down? Entire community will be blocked from online playing? And with this regards what does it mean "livetime license"?

Why it's important? Just as example Codemasters (I know - different company, different etc, however) and first Dirt game for PS3. It was very surrprising to all users when online serwers has been shuted down without a warning or explanation. Now I have a very nice game, which I can throw away as I can't play multiplayer option. Nice heh? Nasty way to force users to buy newer version.

Sorry for jumping into the discussion with my first post, but I'm playing rf1 for few years, never had a problem with online, however with this new approach I can understand at least a part of Smees worries...

2. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I ask this in another thread but it may apropriete in this thread:
    ""With that lifetime license wich costs around $90, can i install this copy in other PC in my house and play on a private network between my two PCs?"

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No I'm not missing that, it's just that it goes without saying. Yes if the server goes down, you can't use the server. Lifetime means lifetime of the product, so, as long as it is supported for. We're still currently supporting rFactor1, even though we've made no money from it since your original purchase. Does that mean nothing? It doesn't count as an example contrary to the negative one you mentioned?

I could give you another contradictory example, too: Sierra. Copies of NASCAR 2003 were pulled from the shelves in 2004, and Sierra made NO money from N2003 after 2004, but they only shut down their online servers in 2007 - ONLY due to the impending sale of the company and the new owners wishes. So, how does that compare to the negative example you gave?

ISI actually has an incentive to keep those servers up, because everybody on the standard version of rF2 is going to be paying every year. In my opinion, the fears are unfounded, but:

If you have any fears, don't purchase. It's that simple. You can debate it all you want and give every bad example you want to, we can fully understand the worries, etc, but none of this changes anything. If it's not right for you to purchase something, you don't purchase it.

4. 88mphTim

No. Your purchase is licensed to be used by one person at a time.

5. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Ok, but if i pay for two lifetime licenses (~$180) can i play on my private network?

6. froncek7

froncek7 Registered

Fair enough Tim. Thanks for an answer. Regards.

7. 88mphTim

Yes, but the connection still goes through the matchmaker, so you would need an active internet connection in order to start the LAN session. Once the session has started, it would not use the internet connection again until the end of the race, which is when we plan to have stats of your driving be added (like your fastest lap, wins, poles, etc). But that last bit is not active yet. :)

8. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

wow, 180 dollars and still depending on yours matchmaker? I think thats an absurd and i feel a bit disapointed.
    And, yes, i know... ask for a refund bla bla bla... Thanks for clarifying this to me anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
  9. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Actually, when I disable my connection I have single player and dev mode grayed out.
    I gess it's some kind of bug if that wasn't the intention. I have never logged in to online account - I've only used single player mode and developer mode so far. Maybe that's got something to do with this issue.

Once again - LAN without authentication is not possible for strictly technical reasons. Accept that fact and you should not feel cheated anymore. There was simply no other way.

10. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I dearly hope IP search will be implemented. I mostly race on my friend's server or my friends run on mine, and it's much easier for them to just look it up by IP instead of going through all the available servers online.

11. Slothman

Slothman Registered

WOW $180 and Still depending on YOUR internet connection as well....that might be too risky for you.

I suggest you unplug your PC and box it up and return it wherever you purhcased it from.

The internet is obviously too big a risk and you will only ever feel cheated for the garbage on the net.

Just like I have been from reading your posts.....that have been made clear at least 10 times to you here, in other posts and well before release.

MAGIC IGNORE BUTTON....DO YOUR THING!!!!

12. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Imagine how he'd feel if he was responsible for purchasing CAD/CAM software for a business. Even at $180 its a drop in the bucket compared to the $3000 I'll have to pay to upgrade the CAD/CAM software I use for my CNC machine!!! And you only get 3 months of support, after which you have to pay more money.

13. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I really don´t care about you two. Only thing i know is that none of you are from ISI. Just take care of you lives, I am not speaking to any of you.

14. yifter

yifter Registered

Ooooohhh, that's good to know. Now i can go to bed and feel like peace is in the world or something. Seriously, if the price and the regulations are an obstacle, dont buy it, move on, there is iracing, GT3 page with cool sounds, Assetto Corsa with a cool video and a lot of promises, and of course pcars with weekly betas, or alphas, that should be enough of a choice.

;) Cheers

15. 88mphTim

Let's be nice folks. :) People asking questions is absolutely OK.

sLuishamilton, yes it works out expensive if you just wanted to do it for a bit of fun.

16. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

You bet.

17. yifter

yifter Registered

The constant whining in this thread makes me a bit of nervous. Maybe i'm too old or just used to nice behaviour or something. ISI has _PROVEN_ commitment to the community since rF1, considering all the updates. No, it was not perfect, yet they delivered new tracks, cars, and even the drift mod (which I never tried, bc im not interested in that kind of racing), all for NADA, NOTHING, NO MONEY INVOLVED. If anyone of you got yourself a business, how long do you think you can get away with that. Meaning you are not involved with rFPro or something. Look at the manpower ISI has to do all these things. Me, myself, and I thank ISI for the commitment in a real racing simulation - no BS just your opponents (great netcode in rF1, praised many times) the track, time of day, physics. Now weather, dynamic track etc. Just as I thank Mike Myers for X-plane or Martin Schweiger for the Orbiter Simulator i have to thank ISI, bc they work in my best interest. I hope as long as I'm keen to take some challenge from a simulation, these guys are around to deliver the goods for me to enjoy :D

I'm german, so don't take every english word for granted :D

Edit: typos i recognized ;)

18. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Not very expensive... compare it to real racing, it wouldn't even cover the fuel costs.

19. Slothman

Slothman Registered

And that is just getting TOO the track :)

20. PCG-Smee

PCG-Smee Registered

Are you still able to play in single player mode when you are offline, or is your game incapacitated until you connect to the internet?