No LAN without Pay-To-Play???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PCG-Smee, Jan 28, 2012.

1. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Of course hackers might break rF2 like they did with rF1. I will have no part of it, personally. I hope you choose to honor and respect ISI and do the same, regardless of how you feel about features or options that are left out for non subscribers.

1 person likes this.
  2. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Like people related to ISI showing honor and respect for costumers who help then to develop their software buying beta version for full price with a lot of limitations saying: "didn´t like what we have done or not satisfied with some feature of what you have? ask refund"

I must think...

3. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Exactly like that.

4. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

lol

yeah, i probably didn´t
    hate cat and mouse games with software companies,
    better go to project cars (or something like that) if they have good features and physics

5. David G Fisher

David G Fisher Registered

Because with rF1 there were a lot of jer***fs who would play on a private network with one legal copy (or even none), and one or more copies that were not paid for. When this is done, you think there is "no cost to ISI"??

I'm very, very happy they have chose this new system. Hopefully it will cut way down on theft. The thieves won't be missed on the servers because people who steal software are also people who don't give a damn about clean, fair racing. The "quality of the online services" WILL be better.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  6. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

It would be nice to have LAN for free I assumed that was the case non the less the price for the game and 1 year is not that exstortionate compared to other games/sims on the market.

Its also totally fine for sumone to voice there concerns , and I do think its a legitimate argument to be against yearly fees or yearly + initial fee.

One advantage with cheaper up front price + yearly fee is that as a consumer you can always drop the game and save money , also if ISI went bust and closed all there servers sumone would make server listing program anyway like RBR assuming rf2 had lots of content or some aspect that kept it popular.

Personally I think ISI might have made more money and reduced confusion if they only had the option of £15 a year subscription.

Personally I'm not to bothered with how they have it and it seems to me like its just a compromise to enable them to achieve there business goals and try and accommodate the community to some extent at the same time.

One thing that is really unfair with ISI is the amount ISI capitalise fincaily on the work of modders I think for RF2 there definitely needs to be some sort of system in place to reward people that produce allot of the content evan if its something as basic as the stamp system found in TFC2. Lets face it RF1 as a general market sim would most likely be dead years ago if it was not for the work all the modders did with it.

Non the less ISI don't strike me as an eval company they seem quite down to earth and friendly and Rf2 for the price is a product i'm happy with so I'm happy to support them

7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Not possible for strictly technical reasons.
    If LAN was free, then people could play free over internet aswell, using virtual networks. Providing free LAN would be like providing backdoor for their own system.

That was the case. Lifetime membership was added because community demanded it. I bought lifetime membership for example.

I disagree. The ones who benefit the most are us.

There are a lot of moddable games - rFactor is no exception.

8. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

In my country it is forbidden to ordinary citizens to have guns. That's why Brazil is known worldwide for success in public safety policy. It is well known method to inhibit crimes and not overload public health care system..
    It will be extended traffic laws. To prevent accidents all have their speeds mechanically limited to 40km / h. Interstate travel will be great. It will be a very successful policy I think.
    Or maybe they just take one wheel. Who knows what intelligent person can do to promote safety?

9. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

So, about bad online racers... You suggest to ISI banning public servers to increase quality on online services? Maybe a fee for each race?

10. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Ok I have read some crazy ass stuff on these forums...

But that is the most crack riddled reply I have ever read in regards to the post it quoted.

I am really hopeing I am missing something in the translation because that has totally done my head in............

What?????

1 person likes this.
  11. David G Fisher

Yes, rF would have been dead years ago if they had decided to make it a closed sim without modding. Instead of allowing modding, we might have had an rF2, rF3, and rF4 by now with just some repackaging and new content. Just like Papyrus did with NASCAR 99, N3, N4, N2002, and N2003. They had options, so ISI doesn't owe the modding community anything. If modders want to sell their mods, no one is stopping them from doing so.

12. David G Fisher

No.

13. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

ahaha, what i´m trying to say is that people who legally own the game can not be punished because people who will crack it cutting features of the software for security reasons.
    Well .. theoretically, since this is already happening.
    Sorry about my english. :)

14. PCG-Smee

PCG-Smee Registered

Nope, no legit answers just a bunch of BS.

What will be funny is, when YOU FOLKS start complaining because the copy protection has screwed up the game.

ISI has NOT admitted copy protection is the purpose of locking down these two items. In fact, final version of the game will probably require internet access to even run. Without a "validation" on each run of the program, it will just take up HDD space.

I've had to deal with a very similar validation process, and it has problems.

Problem Number 1 is that they won't answer the question because, when they begin having problems somewhere down the road, they don't want you to be able to come here, quote their direct answer and hold them to the wall about the so called copy protection.

EA uses something similar. If you complain about how they screw up (no support for quad core processors, because they know no one uses them yet - in 2011 for instance) they can then turn off your game. I have seen it happen.

15. Slothman

Slothman Registered

LOL....no worries. I get that :)

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

You still need valid online account to play online.

If LAN was possible without online account, then anyone could bypass the system easily.

That's my point and I think it was clear enough the first time :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  17. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Maybe not legit to you, but only because you have already made up your mind. I find it hard to believe that ISI's copy protection will screw up my game.

I want proof, not speculation. ISI have said nothing about needing internet validation to run the game in offline mode.
    I agree that some validation schemes are too much and flawed. Not seen that here, yet.

More speculation, still no proof.

Have a good day, sir. I can see now that I am not talking to a reasonable person, so I will save my energy for people more worthwhile.

18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Except when I did, above. rF2 had no LAN. If you like we can disable it again so you have internet multiplayer only, but you probably won't get much support for that. Locking this, through the matchmaker was the only way to protect how we wanted to while giving an option for LAN which the community wanted.
    We have no intention whatsoever of changing how it works NOW. Try disabling your internet connection. You can run offline. ALL multiplayer (LAN or via the server lists) requires authentication. Those are your limits.

But I thought you were done with this discussion? Seems not. I am not allowing you to open another thread on this or a related subject. Keep it here, or just accept reality and the information you're being given.

19. yifter

yifter Registered

Pure speculation, no fact. You got no point.

In fact? Come on, you don't know what you are talking about. ISI already stated, online access is only necessary to play online, NOT to play singleplayer or to use dev-mode.
    BS-Talk, completely irrelevant.
    Yor name is Nostradamus, no?

BS-Talk, completely irrelevant. Every post makes you look more like a troll. Sure you are some funny guy :)

Cheers

20. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

IP filters may be possible but a online account would still be required.

LAN play that circumvents the paid for services is a step backwards towards mismatch problems of rF1