converting tracks

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by les, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Banger

Banger Registered

i have most of my track converted to work, except the skyboxi which is shown up has grey planes????. i can't see anyway of getting the clouds on to it. any help there????

2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Skybox or horizon? You don't need a sky in rf2, just the horizon. The sky is all done by the game.

3. Banger

Banger Registered

4. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I think that is issue in DevMode, I never got the clouds work either.

5. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I believe that's only an issue in DevMode. It should look ok in the main build.

*hahah...no response in 2 hrs. then two dupes in two min.

6. Banger

Banger Registered

hehe, thanks hopefully i will tested when modpacked.atm redefining the road textures, apparently they need alpha channels .:)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  7. Banger

Banger Registered

another problem converting old tracks. this one from SCGT. adding racesurfaces to the road(track) materials all in.i getting yellow borders on some areas and not others, eg. the outer wall become yellow like some sort of alpha channel merging.

the road and wall are all in one meshes(object). if i don't added the racesurface to the road mesh. all fine, has soon has i added it all outer walls turn yellow.

8. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

All road surfaces which are using real road shader should be called RaceSurface_XX and they must be exported as a separated objects.

9. Banger

Banger Registered

thanks feels3, yeap looks like it the only way to be done or scratch build.TA

10. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Found that and put together from Dave (3DSimed) and S.. in USPits:

Q: Is there a way to eliminate one or more materials and the faces containg them from a group of objects, all at the same time?
    My problem is that I need to split road objects that have been created with multiple sections and materials into two objects. This is to apply racesurface to the road part and a generic instance to the grass, gravel... part. Otherwise the aspect of the sideways shows strange colours (I guess due to the deform property of realroad). Doing it one by one is really annoying when the road is divided in 50 or more sections. In fact I have to do it twice the number of sections after duplicating the road elements.

A: Use the Display->Object Filter to select only the objects you need to change, then use the Toggle All to reverse the selection. Once this is done you can use Edit->All Visible->Objects->Erase to delete all the object you are not working with. The drawing will appear empty, Display->Object Filter All On will show your objects.

Then Edit->Materials->Erase Geometry will rid you of the faces and you can then export those objects. Then I would use Edit->Undo to restore the faces before erasing the geometry of the other materials. You can rename those split objects in the Object Instance Edit pane.

Hope that helps.

Tried that and works

1 person likes this.
  11. Banger

Banger Registered

thanks hazi , i give that a try

12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

By using 3dsimed is was able to convert two rfactor1 tracks to rfactor2. But for RealRoad the polygon count of the road is very important (racingline, wet road drying..). On one track the road is only two quads (4 tris) wide, on the other track the road is four quads ( eight tris) wide. Looking at parts of the new Limerock track ISI's road is now 9-13 quads wide.

Is there an easy way (preferably using 3dsimed) to raise the road polygon count? e.g. make four tris out of one tri?

13. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I don't think so and it would be a lot of work to add something into SimEd to do that, there is a lot to take into account like, removing triangles (and which edges to remove to make the quad), matching up edges with terrain and so on, when you do it in 3dmax you always end up having to do a bit of manual editing.

But doing it in 3dmax, it's quite easy to do a quick fix that will make the real road work properly.

First you get a script called detriangulator, detach all the road meshes from the terrain etc and attach them all together as one, select all verts and weld to 0.001, then convert the mesh to editable poly and run detriangulator on it, check for any wrong edges that it removed and put them back in and remove any edges it missed.
    Then you select all the edges going across the track (select one edge, click loop select, then click ring select) and use the connect function to add in extra edges. Do the same for length edges.

The problem is you will end up with straight edges where cross edges intersect in corners. Its up to you what you do here, you can keep an extra row of polys from the terrain connected to the track when you do this and run a spline down the middle to use as a guide. But what ever you do, do not use mesh smooth, it will tax a lot of the detail from the track and smooth it out (if the track has detail that is)

14. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Thanks for the hints mianiak, i will try that! I was hoping to avoid the move to a complex tool like 3dmax, but its seems to be inevitable. I probably have to learn a lot now.

15. Hazi

Hazi Registered

@mianiak: Could you do a short video tut for exactly those thing please?
    TIA

16. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Here you go. Just keep in mind that this is a very cheap way of getting around this, the better way to do it is to re-loft the track and conform it to the old one.

1 person likes this.
  17. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Great, thanks mianiak!

18. Hazi

Hazi Registered

THX!!

19. EraZr1

EraZr1 Registered

The detriangulator Doesnt Work. When I open it in 3ds max i can't choose polys.

20. mianiak

mianiak Registered

You need to convert the mesh to editable poly.