converting tracks

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by les, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

and if it was?

2. freew67

freew67 Registered

What is change it back to T1.

Ill take GMT Importing for $400 Alex.

3. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

This wouldn't happen to be the Jorgen I knew from the PGA2000 golf days would it?

4. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Here is what I do..

I have imported the same track using the rf1 shader plugins with that awesome utility, I don't get no stop errors about missing a L0DIFFUSET0 shader like I do when I import using the rf2 shader plugins and although all the textures seem to be there in the view-port when showing smooth + highlights there are no textures assigned, everything is grayed out period, absolutely tons of work needed to be done.

View attachment 870

Now if I import using the rf2 plugin shaders in the view-port using the smooth + highlights everything is in black ONLY till I re-assign the texture because the material balls are black but if you look at the screenshot the green light in the texture slots which means the texture is already there but it sort of isn't because it needs to be reloaded but the path to the texture is right there so just click reload, click the show standard map in view-port button and then click show end result button twice to get it to show up in the material ball. Oh just as an FYI, if using the rf1 plugins and importing EVERYTHING comes in as default shader, if using rf2 plugins EVERYTHING comes in as blended grass shader..lol

View attachment 871

If this works I would rather use the rf2 import plugins as it saves me tons of work(time) reloading textures mostly because the texture is already there in the path all you need to do is reload it UNLIKE using rf1 plugins and importing and I used the exact same settings for importing.

Now because while importing with rf1 plugin shaders and the all textures showing up in the view-port that means nothing right, I just don't get why it does that because if you go to the material editor nothing is showing in the material balls and no texture is showing below.

Also, I have been having 3dSimEd with the track loaded WHILE having 3dsmax open at the same time. I can select something if I get stuck on which shader to use and I have had to do that a couple times as I didn't know Tires were Bump Specular Map T1, nor did I know most of the stuff was T1 so that should save a lot of work adding extra textures. I also look at the folder to see if this file has a normal map with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  5. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

thanks smokinJo65 that is very helpful.

6. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Yes but be aware that I don't even know if importing using the rf2 plugins will work once exporting, freew67 doesn't even know and he's been doing track making for ages and knows tons more then I do. I just don't want to go through all the work using rf1 plugins. Maybe I should delete a ton of objects and leave a few there and see if it will export and get into the game properly first. (Remember Joe to save as a different file if you do so..lol)

7. freew67

freew67 Registered

I made 90% of my stuff in max to begin with, so I havent messed with importing to much. Since I already have most of my max files from rf1, I havent had to play the import game yet. Thing is Joe, once you save the file with the rf2 plugins thats all your dealing with. There are new shaders for rf2, but not everyone is different. FYI, I grabbed one of my rf1 max files and exported everything straight into rf2 without touching a thing. Took longer to setup the folder then it did to get the gmts changed.

and your welcome Simon.

8. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

it seems to work for the few gmts i have tried.

I have another question about "cube maps". When importing, the script says DDS format cube map required for this stage... and using your method, means that that stage in the material editor is empty. I quickly put in the only thing that I could to see whether it would export to my track and therefore used a "track cube.dds" file just as a test.

What is a cube map and how should they be created...... (or what should I look for)

9. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

my post #28 was obviously the wrong thing to do (i.e. quick and dirty and not what was needed). I looked back and found that the original shader used was a Bump Specular Map T1 and so I changed the rF2 version in the material editor to the same. The items don't look very good in game however. So still have the question about what is a cube map... and also open question why the items don't look very good in game.

10. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

if when importing files shaders aren't being assigned correctly. check line 46 from the ms file.

shaderFiles=#("bumpmap.gfx","CARPAINT.GFX","cubemap.gfx","diffuse.gfx","specular.gfx")

Ensure all the gfx files are correctly there.

11. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

No GFX shaders in the rF2 coreshader.mas file because first thing on import using rf2 shaders is the missing GFX error dialog.

12. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Freew67 dropped by in our teamspeak server and gave me and desert rat some tips. I got my converted track to come in absolutely perfect using the rf1 plugins and will hardly have any shaders to fix. Now I can export it to race with my friends for now but it's going to get a full treatment of REAL CURBS instead of the fake curbs, Real Road, New Banners to reflect what kind of is there now, Newer surface texture as well.

Zolder 2012 will come true..lol

13. les

les Registered

well smoke tell us what he told you to do.

14. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

He told me to extract the contents of the coreshader.mas file in the max2010 hardwareshades folder and it converted properly. Coreshader.mas in the hardwareshader folder is fine but also the contents would be better.

Most things that were red just needed to be turned to T1 shader, easy export I believe but if you save it you might get some bug where when you loaded it again all your textured material balls are black and textures need to be reloaded again.

15. les

les Registered

i sent you a pm smoke can you join me on my teamspeak maybe
    vs9.tserverhq.com:9345 no password im using teamspeak 3

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2012
  16. les

les Registered

the coreshaders map is that the rf2 coreshaders map ?? if so do i even use rf1 tools to bring rf1 map into 3ds max ?? or just bring the rf1 map into rf2 tools ??

17. les

les Registered

ok i tried to create a scene file and this is what i am getting

Instance=2012wallbanners04
    {
    MeshFile=2012wallbanners04.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=True
    }
    Instance=2012wallbanners05
    {
    MeshFile=2012wallbanners05.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=True

now there are things missing so im not sure why

Instance=NightLight04Glow
    {
    VisGroups=(36)
    MeshFile=NightLight04Glow.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False

the visgroups=(somenumber) this is missing out of my scene file anyone know why

18. les

les Registered

ok got it figured out

19. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Ok I need some help here to as it's starting to tick me off..lol

Got the file converted properly but when I fix the shader and get the texture to load up in the material editor if I do 100 and call it a night and then come back in the morning there all black again, why is this (yes some bug but why..lol), I believe freew67 told me a workaround something to do with selecting the faces of the track but I am unsure. Be kind of dumb to import a track when nothing stays saved to the file when you quit Max2010. :cool:

20. mianiak

mianiak Registered

It's all there, you haven't lost anything (unless you have done something completely wrong :D) but this is a normal thing. As long as when you setup each material you turn on the switch to show standard map in viewport. When you do your last save of the day before you close max down, make sure your viewport shows smooth + highlights. This way when you reopen the project, it will load the textures up. If you save it in wire frame mode, when you go to open it, it wont load the textures up.