rFactor 2 Telemetry Plugin

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jan 26, 2012.

1. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Aren't those also the ride height values as logged?

2. Steven Karlsson

Steven Karlsson Registered

What I suspect is that the ride height is taken from the body floor at each axle. At least this is what is logged in the old Data Acquisition plugin.
    To trim in a car aero wise one need to know body ride height, Undertray 00-03 ride height and front wing ride height. If once can measure the car model the numbers are easy to figure out. However if you do not know the floor height in relation to the reference plane and how the axles relate to the vertical reference plane is darn near impossible to calculate the ride height of the undertray in relation to the body floor (or vise versa if it's Undertray 00-03 that is logged). Same goes for the front wing that take it's ride height in relation to FWCenter from the HDV

3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

As I have now new nice ramp to test bump stops, I did notice some odd things, ride height reports 1800mm, but ramp is only 1000mm tall and car has 180mm ground clearance in hdv, of course car could continue moving upwards, which might explain that increase. You can see how it is reported in motec from pic:
    [​IMG]

For some reason front right and rear left ride heights are bit higher values than FL RR and same with each other, also there is that additional amount of ride height coming from somewhere.

As I did drove around 200ft skidpad having relatively constant 80kph and 0.8g, my ride heights reports as follows:
    FL ~200.7mm
    FR ~185.5mm
    RL ~285.7mm
    RR ~200.4mm

I was turning right, so right side should, imo, have higher ride height than left ride height.

Suspension positions were like this:
    FL 308mm
    FR 191mm
    RL 190mm
    RR 60mm

Maybe reason is that I have not yet set undertray points?

I'm using build 90, it works fine, I have set from .ini autolog to 1 as I had trouble remembering the key.

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Lazza, aerodynamic drag appears to be in Kg's according to what was posted in Aerodynamics discussion thread, that might be worth to check what is causing that.

5. Kaine

Kaine Registered

Sorry to ask but cannot find an answer to motec and damper velocity missing

Does rf2 not support the damper velocity, or does not export these cannels for all three wheels?

I set up everything and it works perfekt as far as I see but in the anylse template the damper velocity has no data

Or does the plugin in v 1.1 not export it for now?

Any idea?

6. Kaine

Kaine Registered

another thing to mention (not a plugin problem)
    Does anybody have a look to the tire temperature of rfactor 2?
    It is different to rf1 and gtr2 there you get a smooth heating throughout each corner and it seems much more realistic than in rfactor 2 ?
    If you spin or hardly push the car through the corner it reaches up to 200°C or more.
    Is this realistic?
    How do you then setup your car with the standard 5to10°C difference from in to out if these themperatures are jumping arround?

7. Fergy

Fergy Registered

@Kaine, Don't look into it to much, the tyre mod simply is not released yet. Those values you want should work, try adding a new work sheet to your template.

8. Kaine

Kaine Registered

Thanks Fergy, so I wait for being proper released tire model.
    Sorry just red the reply form Lazza that the damper velocity is derived from suspension position.
    Think this means it is done by maths of supension position.
    I am not really familiar with setting up maths in i2 , but will have a look in an old rfactor template there it worked,
    my be I can copy that into Lazzas template.
    or does sombody know how to do this math for damper velocity in i2?
    Thanks in advance

9. sssubito

sssubito Registered

Does anyone have infos on MoTeC's LD file format? Well, MoTeC is obviously not interested to reveil it. I have searched the internet with quite some efford but couldn't find something useful.

I just thought I could ask here because Lazza's plugin does write LD-format as far as I know.

Cheers, sssubito!

10. imonarefactor

imonarefactor Registered

@ Fergy
    View > Data Window | Doesn't result in seeing the lap information and therefore I can't compare two laps with your project. Any idea how to solve this issue?

11. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I got some issue now, when I return from track by hitting esc, for some unknown reason plugin fills whole hard disk with single log file that is insanely many gigabytes in size.

It does not stop until disk is full.

Did that few days ago, then worked fine, but now started to do again, I have deleted old logs too, but no help, ini file seems to be as it should, so maybe need to try reinstalling plugin, bit weird.

edit: Good old reinstall of plugin seemed to help, there was difference in size, maybe plugin file got somehow corrupted when rFactor did crash.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
  12. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

Im currently looking for the same thing Rfactor doesn't seem to export the data for some reason?? Can anybody shed some light on this??

13. szekto

szekto Registered

Hello guys!

I've got some question about the plugin/ recorded datas:

1) What kind of forces can I record in the telemtry file?
    2) What should I modify if, for example, the rear left tyre's temperature hasn't recorded in the telemtry files?

Thanks for your help in advance! :)

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Kaine answered his own question below the post you quoted; suspension velocity is derived from suspension position (within Motec). rFactor doesn't provide velocity data.

My plugin doesn't provide per-channel control on what is and isn't logged. You'll find some options for the generally less useful channels, or ones that are nearly replicating other data, in the .ini file.

If your Motec project isn't showing temperature for a tyre, it probably isn't referencing the correct channel name(s). As far as I know the default projects show outside-centre-inside temps for the front tyres, but just a single temperature for the rears. Because the plugin records 3 temperatures for all four tyres, the graph for the rear tyres doesn't contain a valid logged channel. So you just need to edit the component, remove the incorrect channel, and add the correct channel(s) you want to show.

On the majority of the default worksheets you will have a long list of logged channels on the right; you can check what's been logged there.

Should you want to show an 'average tyre temperature' instead of 3 separate ones, you can create your own channels in the Maths section and average the 3 logged channels, or whatever other method you want to use to arrive at some sort of overall figure. It can take a little while to work out how to set things up to your liking, but once you get the hang of it it's very powerful.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Damn, posting twice... sorry...

No doubt you've worked this out by now, yeah, I'm pretty sure the undertray points are involved. Others have much better knowledge of that stuff than I do. The suspension positions look correct for the situation you've described.

Easy... I took a guess ;)

Most of the values referenced in the plugin interface have units in the descriptions, the drag (and some others) didn't. So when it said 'force' I chose N, and likely did the same for drag.

I'll be reworking my plugin (for rF1 as well) and fixing up issues like this as well as the reversed wheel rotation values etc... just need to get to it...

16. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Yeah, I learned them undertray points finally, did took only some 7 years, doh! :p

Also contact patch sliding/grip is probably one of those reversed ones.

Hey, while I'm here, I did read from example plugin that there is possibility to get torque from sim.

With turbo code it might help to see if one has a bug or two in his engine files, any ideas how to get this one logged?

Especially useful when I'm working upgrades to car that are based on NA engine, where there is no turbo car dyno graphs available, 1/4 times etc. tell only whole picture, having only how engine performs would be advantage.

Can't remember where I picked that possibility, but it was some of those source code files where it lists all the other things, power or torque, it was something like that. When I find where I saved that stuff I could copy it here so you can get better guess.

edit: InternalsPlugin.hpp

// Expanded
    double mEngineTq; // current engine torque (including additive torque)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2012
  17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

does anybody know where the ini file ends up? I finally got this installed and it seems to log sometimes and sometimes it doens't log. Thanks.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The first 2 places to look are the folder above NetCommUtil.dll (which the plugin should be sitting next to, by the way) and 'C:\Users\"YourLoginName"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\' if you have UAC or similar interfering with things.

The readme gives these two, so maybe you've already looked there, but you didn't say. Main thing is that you end up with NetCommUtil.dll and MotecPlugin.dll in the same folder (so you know it's in the right place), and from there a decent file search should be able to locate the .ini if it's gone somewhere weird.

Intermittent logging would likely be the plugin delay when you enter the car (I'm assuming that still occurs), assuming you're switching logging on every time or have it set to log in the .ini. If it works once there's no reason it would fail sometimes.

Yep, there are a few new ones in there now. I'll have to add them all... probably need a better way to select channels, it wasn't something I really needed for my own use... :)

1 person likes this.
  19. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Thanks. I got her going now. All good. Thanks again. :)

20. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

:( This plugin only logs my files for the first run. The 2nd time I get out on track no log is recorded. I've tried turning off the plugin after the 15secs plugin delay then turning it back on again. Ive tried setting the plugin to automatically run. Ive tried having the log file built during and after my run. Whats going on?!?! I can't get any useful data off just the first run.

Error message from the log file
    01/22/13 01:56:16 Error creating file:
    01/22/13 01:56:16 D:\motecÿÿÿÿ\Montreal - P2 - 22-01-2013 - 01-56-16.ldtemp