rFactor 2 Telemetry Plugin

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Note: Replaced by the DAMPlugin. Consider using that instead.

rFactor 2 Motec Plugin v1.05 by Lazza - 11th May 2014

Link(s):
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/24318626/rF2_MotecPlugin_28Jun2014.rar
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/5oh8ckvk8ax6s43/rF2_MotecPlugin_28Jun2014.rar

Currently undergoing a rewrite. The above version works but installation has changed with recent versions of rF2 (please ignore the readme installation advice, it's wrong):

Installation

Extract the entire archive to either your rFactor2\Bin32 or rFactor2\Bin64 folder depending which version you're running. You can extract to both if you want to make sure. If done correctly you'll have the MotecPlugin.dll sitting beside the TrackIR_rF2_Plugin dll that comes with rF2. If not, try it again.

If correctly installed, when you run rF2 the plugin will create a new LOG folder to store the logs, a MotecPlugin.ini file for setting various options, and by default will log the default channels at the standard rates.

To change the options quit out of rF2, find the MotecPlugin.ini file which should be in your main rF2 folder*, and check out the available settings.

Important note: If rF2 crashes when you try to start it after installing the plugin it is probably unable to create the .ini file. This can be caused by UAC or just not having permission to create files in the rF2 install folder. To remedy this, take the fresh .ini file from here:

View attachment MotecPlugin_ini.zip

And put that in your main rF2 folder. Change the values in it so they make sense (especially point it to a new log dir, because it will have trouble writing to "rFactor2\LOG\" for the same reason it couldn't create the .ini) and it should work.

*UAC users: try C:\Users\"YourLoginName"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\MotecPlugin.ini
    (thanks to bigal)

Usage

By default logging is active on startup, which means all your driving will be logged. When you jump into a car you'll hear beeps indicating the current logging status:

'Upwards beeps' = logging on. 'Downwards beeps' = logging off.

To toggle between logging on & off, hit Ctrl-M (or your own defined key) while in the car.

Note: In the current version of rF2 a red plugin icon appears when you jump in the car; this is normal and doesn't mean anything has gone wrong. However, plugins are not active until this icon disappears again (currently less than a second), so if you have logging active you won't get logged data for this period, and if you try to switch it on you won't be able to until the icon disappears.

When logging is finished, either through switching it off or by exiting the car, you will hear the beeps indicating the log has finished being built (converted from the temp file) usually after a short pause. You can then open it up in i2Pro as you wish.

If you log a lot of data then try to immediately exit rF2, it might pause on a blackscreen for a short period. A driving stint of several hours should only take 5-10s to finish converting. (longer stints or higher data rates will take longer)

Changes

v1.05
    - Logging on startup now switched ON by default. This might be a better option to avoid people just assuming 'beeps' = logging on and asking where the logs are.
    - Log file names now start with the date in yyyy-mm-dd format for better sorting.
    - The specified log folder will now be created if it doesn't exist. Hopefully this will also help people work out where the log files are getting dropped.
    - There is now an .ini option to put logs in a vehicle class subfolder.
    - Added most of the missing available telemetry data with several new options.

Always, if upgrading from an older version it won't rewrite the existing MotecPlugin.ini - so you need to rename it or delete it, then start up rF2, to see any new .ini options.

Note: Replaced by the DAMPlugin. Consider using that instead.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016
    Associat0r and krivjur like this.
  2. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Fantastic, thanks your great effort.

Here is a MoTec Template I have set up if anyone is interested. It can be edited to suit your requirements but should be a good start as it can be a lot of work.

http://www.mediafire.com/?b2bzue2b7awb6b3]

Extract the file to Documents/MoTec Projects.

*For a black background see the Read me in the download.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. JuanitoRPM

JuanitoRPM Registered

Thanks for the work lazza. Is posible to build the files automatically each time the car cross the finish line?.

If you have a team with friends engineers they can read your laps at same time you stay driving.

In the Motec interpreter help says:

Telemetry Analysis
    The Telemetry Analysis feature allows data that has been collected by the MoTeC Telemetry Monitor program to be viewed in i2 after each lap.

Dash Logger Configuration
    The Dash Logger (e.g. MoTeC's ADL3 / ACL) must have the Remote Logging, Telemetry and Pro Analysis Upgrades enabled.

The following channels should be included in the Telemetry Data:

Beacon channel - required
    Lap Distance channel - recommended, see Overlaying Data below for details
    Running Lap Time channel - recommended. This will ensure laps are detected even if the telemetry data drops out during the beacon event.
    Telemetry Monitor Configuration
    Requires Telemetry Monitor version V2.3 or higher.

To configure Telemetry Monitor
    Open Telemetry Monitor software
    On the Settings menu, click Analysis and then Settings
    Enter a Connection Name
    Normally the Connection Name is the car name.
    Enter the Output Folder
    The Output Folder is the location where Telemetry Monitor will store the data files. For best performance this should be a folder on the telemetry computer.
    On the Settings menu, click Analysis and then Edit Details
    Enter the correct details
    Entering the details in Telemetry Monitor (instead of in i2) will ensure that the data created has the correct details attached. This will make the data easier to identify. it will also ensure the correct track data is used, which is particularly important when using lap stretching.
    i2 Configuration
    To enable Telemetry Analysis
    On the Tools menu, click Options
    Click the Analysis tab and select the Enable telemetry analysis check box.
    Click Add and enter the Connection Name.
    This must be the same name as the Connection Name specified in Telemetry Monitor.
    Click Browse to select the Server Path
    The Server Path specifies where i2 can find the telemetry data.
    If i2 runs on the same computer as where the telemetry data is stored, then the Server Path should be set to the output folder that was specified in Telemetry Monitor.
    If i2 runs on a computer that is connected via a network, the Server Path should be the network share name of the output folder that was specified in Telemetry Monitor.
    NOTE: i2 may access more than one telemetry server, to view data from multiple cars.

motec.com/software/latestreleases

4. MJP

MJP Registered

Once again thanks for this plugin (I love my Motec).

You mention you've changed the tyre temp reporting to 1 decimal place to avoid the wraparound above 327.67°C but the MotecPlugin.dll in both the downloads in your 1st post contain the same DLL you posted on the 21st in the other thread which has the wraparound problem.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Oh dear... if that's true I'm sorry :eek:

I can't check or rectify it here, I'll take a look in a couple of hours.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Alrighty... links updated...

Short of some catastrophic bug rearing its head that'll be it for updates for a while.

7. Doc_

Doc_ Registered

Top stuff Laz!!!!!
    Works a treat m8.
    TYVM

Doc

8. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Not finding saved log. Could open none with motec using win 7 64.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Win 7 64 isn't an issue.

Here's what needs to happen for the whole process to work:

1. Install Plugin in the right place
    2. Plugin actually runs and creates MotecPlugin.ini
    3. You make sure the log folder specified in the .ini exists
    4. You do some laps (you or AI) having actually turned logging on
    5. Browse to the log folder using i2Pro and open the log(s).

You've given absolutely no details to indicate which step, if any, it's failing on (the readme gives details on what to do and what should happen). I can be here to give guidance but try to meet me somewhere in the middle...

10. Fergy

Fergy Registered

You have to set MoTec's path to the Log file you created in plugins e.g C/Program(x86)/rfactor2/Log. Then you will see your lap data files.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
  11. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Ok. All the first 4 steps its ok.
    The 5th step, where is the problem. When i open i2pro, it ask for a project (*.mtc.prj). Then i open project.mtcprj in mydocuments\"User" (wich is not the adm)\MOtec projects\circuit 1\Project.mtcprj.
    When i open that project, i have the option to open logged data at file - open log file.
    When i click there, the default directory to logged data (*.ld) is that: C:\Motec\Logged Data but there is no something.ld on this folder, only on one of subdirectory of this folder C:\Motec\Logged Data\Samples wich have 4 folders with samples wich i can open (circuit, drag, engine, rally).
    So i try in c:\programsfiles(x86)\rfactor 2\LOG wich seems the ini file (correctly located on indicated folder for uac users) of motec plugin as you can see:
    Log dir = "LOG\" // Directory to log to; relative to rFactor root if not absolute (e.g. "C:\Log files\")
    BUT, there isn´t any logged file in there. In fact, when i made an search using windows, the only "whatever.ld" file wich i find in my computer is the samples.ld wich i mentioned before. What make me in two options:
    1. i´m not using i2pro as i should
    2. as uac user, the motec plugin located in c:\programfiles(x86)\rfactor 2\Plugins\Motecplugin.dll didn´t have permission to save logged data on the root folder c:\

I try to change the folder to D:\LOG on ini file located in C:\Users\"myloginname"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\MotecPlugin.ini but, again, the plugin didn´t save any log file (*.ld) on created folder

Hoppe you understand me. Thanks for help.

12. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

There isn´t. For some reason, no log files are stored in my computer.
    Thanks for help.

13. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Another possibility is, since i have headmotionpligin installed and this is a beta software, the plugins could causing conflict with each other. I´ll try remove the headmotion too see if works.

14. MJP

MJP Registered

Are you actually turning the logging on (default keys are CTRL+M)? When you go to track the plugin icon should appear at top left of screen for about 10-15 seconds. Only after this icon disappears can logging be started, even if you've set logging to be active on startup in the MotecPlugin.ini file.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Thanks for the extra info :)

Ignoring that last bit for a second, when the plugin sees "LOG\" it will try to save them into the LOG folder from its current working directory - which in your case, with UAC, is your C:\Users\"myloginname"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\ (so you'd want to make a LOG folder there). Or that's what I'd expect, anyway - I'd consider turning UAC on for a bit and seeing what happens but since I've never ever kept it on past about the 2nd minute of a reinstall I'd be worried about what might happen ;)

I would have thought what you did in the last part would work, since you can give it an absolute reference ("D:\LOG\") and it should try to save it there no matter where it's running from - unless it's a user rights issue?

All this is assuming that you're activating logging correctly - as I can see MJP has eluded to while I've been typing :)

16. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Hmmm... interesting. I heard the beep and assume the log started to be sved. As i say, i have other plugin installed and maybe the icon i see on the screen is to that plugin not the motec. I´ll try this.

Lazza, i will try whatt MJP is suggesting since as my english is not very good, i need more time to understand your more detailed post.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, I didn't use a voice :)

'Upwards beeps' (rising pitch) indicates logging is on. You're probably hearing 'downwards', meaning it's not activated.

It all makes perfect sense once you're used to it ;)

**Next plugin sounds:
    Logging on: "Woohoo! Telemetry for the win! Yeah baby!"
    Logging off: "What the ****?! What are you doing? How are you going to know what the car's doing without telemetry? I suppose you think you're good enough to work it out? Well let me tell you..."

I expect the next update will be about a 4.5 meg file. :eek:

** I'm joking, of course :D

18. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

19. MJP

MJP Registered

Must admit I've pinched the 'data acquisition is enabled' and 'data acquisition is off' voice WAV files from the rF1 Motec plugin. :D

20. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

lol, worked.
    Log files goind to d:\log
    Gonna take "dataacquisitionenable" of rf1 too.
    Thanks!