Will rFactor2 Graphic Be As Good As Project CARS?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by taufikp, Jan 23, 2012.

1. shum94

shum94 Registered

:rolleyes:

2. shum94

shum94 Registered

[​IMG]

I really hope rFactor 2 will match this.

3. Tony H

Tony H Banned

we get it fanboi
    u best go play brrmmm brrmmm 'cars' then ;-)

4. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

No offense but you'd do yourself a favor by giving pCARS a chance. Since they got rid of most of the visual lag (and they're already working on things to make it even better) and the recent FFB upgrades, the whole feel of the game has changed. It really is a proper sim.

5. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Graphics is great but...
    When I'm watching something like this my only thinking is "pure arcade" and nothing more.

6. Omicron

Omicron Registered

7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The Formula A is the newest addition to the project, the first version came in Friday and still has far from finished placeholder physics. With that in mind, could you specify what exactly is your problem with that?
    Probably also the most WIP representation of Spa you've seen in a long time too. Try NotImola (Bologna), it's much better. =)

8. Uff

Uff Registered

100% correct. People shold know what they are watching before criticizing it. :)

9. shum94

shum94 Registered

Mister RBR physics and the stig have a lot to do, right now it's no near simulating real racing.

10. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

It's a pre-alpha. Christ. Too many keyboard warriors on here.

11. feels3

They are both a pre-alpha, rf2 too ;)

Just try to do few laps in CARS and then few laps in rf2. Those are completely different worlds.

Difference between these two titles is huge, handling, FFB, feeling weight of a car, how changes in car's setup affect on your driving feelings, FFB and cars behaviour, advanced tire model (try to run a ttoll and you will see) and a lot more.

Driving in CARS is very similar to Need for Speed.
    Don't get me wrong. It's really good game with great graphic engine but it's not a sim for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  12. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

How is rF2 a pre-alpha?

It's pretty obvious where pCARS is heading, but it's about 2 years behind rF2.

I like both games, I'm no fanboy of either, it's pretty obvious there are big differences but it's also pretty obvious they are miles apart in terms of development time.

pCARS is impressive graphically at this stage, no doubt about it. I hope rF2 can develop in this area. In the same way that I hope pCARS can develop it's FFB and driving physics to a stage where rF2 is.

13. Uff

Uff Registered

No, rF2 is a beta. :)

14. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

I thought this thread was about graphics but it seems we can forget about that and talk about anything.

Right now rF2 fails for me because of poor FFB, low FPS and huge stutter. It has better physics and AI, Graphics have to be turned down so low as to make it look less convincing than rF1.

pCars seems to be the complete reverse better FFB, higher FPS no Stutter, physics are less than perfect and Graphics are much better as I can max them out and it's still playable AI it very poor and I'll also add the sounds seem quite basic..

One other thing is the load times, rF2 takes two minutes to load a track where pCars takes about 30 seconds.

Both titles have a long way to go but right now I can have fun in pCars but rFactor2 just annoys me.

15. feels3

When I said alpha, I mean that both are in early stage of development and are not finished :)
    But the important thing is that rf2 has huge potential to be a great pure sim :)

16. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

I just did some rF2 track loads and average times were under 30 secs? some reloads were coming up in 15 sec, so god knows why your PC is taking 2 mins?

thats on max graphics, 1920x1200x32 12 AI cars.
    btw thats NOT SDD, but just 7200rpm HDD in Raid0

17. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

I know I've seen a video of it loading, I was just saying how it is on my PC. I've also tried a different hard drive. I also get the yellow loading bar when it gets to 75% jump to the vertical on the left and then I have to wait another minute.

I was told to try game booster but it makes no difference, the only response from ISI was that it loads quicker the next time round, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

18. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I honestly can't say which one has strictly better physics at this point. The ones in rF2 are definitely way more finished and polished, but pCARS feels very natural too and I can jump around between pCARS, rF1, rF2, nKP and LFS with ease.

I'll definitely give you that SMS does have a somewhat different approach to physics from the old sim racing standard. The standard used to be more difficult -> more realistic, but they're coming more from a mindset that racing cars aren't inherently impossible to drive, and many people who drive racing cars in real life either for work or hobby (including Ben Collins) seem to be with them on this, but still correct them when they see stuff that's wrong and provide helpful suggestions. The jury is still out and will be until they actually release. Seeing how fast the physics have developed since last October I can't help being excited. They had the graphics tech ready when they started, but the Madness engine had never before been used to build a real heavy duty simulator, there's a learning curve involved and they seem to be picking things up at a very high rate. =)

19. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Guys, I wanted to take a look at Project Cars, but don't understand it really.
    There is NO information available other then "you can drive nice cars" and looking for answers; you have to go to the forum wich you can only access by becoming a paying member!

Now, I think they are putting themselves out of business; I can't get answers, I leave the game for what it is as many people will do.

I want to know; when I pay 10 or 25 euro;
    - can I play all the mods given out till now?
    - can I play offline on some track against AI?
    - for how long am I paying; 10 euro for a week, month, year, forever? (Same with 25 euro of course)
    - when I become a junior member at first and get monthly updates, do I miss the weekly updates or do I get them just a bit later; 4 weeks in 1 at the end of the month?

Now I know it is an WIP and still not done; that is not a problem and I am willing to pay for it as I just want to try, but they are very low on giving information..........it's just a shame you don't get the answers and have to pay to look them up on the forum.

Do any of you guys know this?

20. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

You get access to the monthly build (released on the first Friday of every month) if you pay 10e, or weekly builds (every Friday) if you pay 25e. There aren't any mods, it's all in one build, and you get access to the latest build available at your level. There are people on the forums though that have collected all of the builds (I personally have all weeklies from build 91 onwards and might be willing to share). When stuff is added after the first Friday of the month the 10e members don't get the stuff until they download their next build in the month.

You can play offline by yourself or agains AI, though the AI is very WIP and on many tracks it's mainly useful for crash videos. =)

When you put in your money, you're basically becoming part of the Project CARS team, meaning you'll get access to the forums and the builds according to your level, and when the game is released you'll get your share of the revenue of the game according to how much you bought in for (10e members get a smaller cut than 25e members, who get a smaller cut than the members paying more). 25% will go to SMS, 75% will be payed to those who chipped in. If the game succeeds you can even make a few euros extra if you chip in with 10e now, the break even point is very doable. So 10e will get you to the end and if the game succeeds you might even get it back with some extra.

Every build they release (usually) is a self-sustained copy of the game, they release patches only very rarely, so you'll uninstall and reinstall the game every time you get a new build, meaning that when a new Junior build becomes available to you on the first Friday of the month you'll naturally get everything that was added after the previous monthly build.

EDIT: Hopefully that answers a few questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012