Remove rFmod Petition

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Wrinkly Man, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Dany Mitchel

Dany Mitchel Registered

+1 it is over complicated and is holding back the rest of the modding world
    please revert it back to something that is similar to rfactor as everyone has had over 5 years to sort it out now you have changed it for the worse and not for the better

2. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Can someone answer me this.. If a CAR mod comes with no attached tracks and a TRACK mod comes with no attached cars.. What can you do with them?

3. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Download it as the component file (the way the tracks are being released at the moment), create a vMod that points to that track and other components that you ALREADY have installed (or create a LARGE file that contains all tracks and cars you want included because if anyone else doesnt have the content they CANT install your vMOD), request a MODID to install the MOD, get the submit ID from installing the MOD, enter that SubmitID to register the MOD with matchamaker, now circulate the file so you and your friends can play that combination of Car/Track.

Or you can use them in Single Player all cars and tracks.....

I think that pretty much sums it up :)

4. Joshua Healy

Joshua Healy Registered

The only thing I can't figure out for the life of me is how to add skins to the game, all I want to do is flesh out the fields a little so I'm not seeing too many duplicate cars when racing offline. But apparently I need to create a new rFmod just to do that.
    If thats the case, then I agree with this entire thread.

5. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Yep.

I havent even bothered trying to put new skins into the exisitng mods (due to the encryption) also because ISI have said that SHOULD be easier in future builds, BUT the impression I got was more personal skins not server wide....but that is pure wild speculation based on no fact at all :)

Just waiting to see the first update really....personally, the changes made to the MODID will either kill or raise rF2.....its a pretty important issue, far more important than anything out there at the moment.

I can see some MAJOR benifitis for the MODID system, especially in MOD team organisation and work, but it does need some severe fine tuning :)

But if this core system remains without any benifits (as discussed adnauseum(sp?) in this thread and others, I dont think the other areas will matter as at this point the negatives outweigh the postives, severely.

But I still hold hope with ISI's past, I dont see how such a crazy system could be designed and considered to be successful from such a smart group of guys. So I am giving them benifit of the doubt until proven otherwise and accepting that there is some hidden/unexposed reason behind this and when finished we all sit back and go....WOW....>FRICKING WOW!!!!

So my judgement has been passed on the current system, I wait somewhat patiently for the first round of updates :)

6. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Holy hell. This is a bad system. So what your saying is even after I get everything set up perfect... AND A NEW TRACK COMES OUT... I have to go through the whole process again to add the old cars to a mod with the new track...

The single Player with all cars and tracks is irrelevant. #1 I will drive with my friends.. #2 in about 1 year I will have so many cars and tracks that it WILL crash rFactor.

7. Slothman

Slothman Registered

ROFLMAO..I had to go check my post you quoted as I didnt rememer saying Ton of Crazy ****....nicely done :)

Yep your spot on...with the current build :)

8. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I wouldn't worry. If this system is still anything like it is now rF2 want be around in a year. Mod teams want support a format that doesn't allow the end user to use their content online, offline or at LAN's without going through a major headache first. Have all this new stuff like real road, Tyre deform, weather change and such want be enough to save a system that want allow the users to use what they want where they want. Add new teams for liveries, Change track banners, Pit gantry boards without making the content useless if you do.

I changed a livery in the Meganes by opening the Team_Mas in Mas2 and replace the livery with another. NO name change! One DDS for another. Well you can guess what happened I'm sure. No working online. I added a track with the Meganes assigned to it. Yep you guest it! rF2 died a horrid painful death. I had to delete all the content and reinstall the complete thing before I got it back again.

Yep just for the sake of one skin!

9. 10speed

10speed Registered

There should never be a necessity to combine cars and tracks in a mod. There are expections like ovals, dirt tracks, point-to-point etc., but mostly tracks are not car specific. You can have fun driving Laguna Seca in a small touring car, a prototype or indycar. The modding system at the current stage is just a huge fallback as it makes modding more complicated. Also there is no way to make small changes to cars or tracks which were not causing mismatches in rfactor1. E.g. I tweaked the hood-view of some cars for personal use and deleted the ambient sounds of some tracks.

10. Joshua Healy

Joshua Healy Registered

Yeah I tried the MAS thing, same result when I tried to add my Brabham skin to the EVE F1, no name change and when I loaded up rFactor the whole Historic series had gone, and it didn't appear in the mod manager either.
    I had to reinstall but I also had to redownload the rFmod for the HOW series as it had gotten deleted at some stage... and on Pre-Paid wireless internet it isn't a good thing to have to do :(

At least there was some details about how to add skins now...
    At least now I can add one skin without the whole system falling over itself :p

11. Domi

Domi Registered

I still don't see the point of using the new modding system, .rfcmp, .rfmod, etc... rF1 was extremely easy, drag some files and play. As you can see now in the beta stage, there are 10000 servers with the same content, and that will happen again after the final version, because everybody wants to drive in his league or with his friends, so the current system is useless. And tools like SimSync in rFactor worked very nicely, 2 clicks and you have all the files needed; there is no need to change the modding system for rF2... I only see problems and more problems.

12. Slothman

Slothman Registered

There are benifits for the new system, for example in the organisation of MOD creation and MOD team work its briliant.

There are benifits with the minimisation of mismatches etc BUT, there needs to be more functionality.

Personally, more information on the server (getting information from the actual MOD file that is already in place) would work a TREAT.

You could leave the current MODID system as it is, and just improve/implement the following and I think it would work brilliantly.

- Provide more information at the server level including links as entered into the MOD creation process (the information is already there, just not visible at server level).

- Implement the Skin system as a component (I believe an ISI guy has already commented on this as happening sometime between now and gold release).

- Implement a Skin Default system so if I am running with a skin not on the server, it just uses a base template to avoid mismatches.

There is more that could make it even better (auto download system etc etc) but to be honest, the above would solve 90% of the issues and make the system MORE than workable.

The MODID system DOES have potential, but presently it is just not practical. I have confidence it will be rectified, but right now, the frustration will be wide spread :)

Until then the frustration prevents people creating the MODID's to run at server level as it is currently worse than rf1 for finding the information. So here is hoping that even just the server level information gets implemented sooner rather than later to help generate interest in the Online play :)

13. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Slothman you've totally over looked the bigger issue with this modID crap. Sure it has potential, Potential to create more problems then it's supposed to fix. That is ever dent right now.

Cars can't be use on any other track then the one assigned to it!
    Tracks can not be used by any car mod except the one assigned to it!
    If it is a Component you can't use it except with all cars and tracks! (NOT online were 80% of users want to use it!)

At the moment we have what? 4 - 5 Car mods? 3 released tracks and the rF2 content ones.
    Already this system has shown it doesn't matter if you have all these things install you still can't join a specific server because you don't have the ModID. People are creating rFMods for their servers and now are asking others to download and install what you have already.

I don't see ANY benefit WHAT SO EVER in this ID thing. Leagues don't need a system like this because they run through a forum so every racing member is kept up to date so laying this on them is rubbish.

The main area were mismatch is more ever dent is in pick up racing, This system doesn't help here, It kill the idea completely.

This is already there in the form of the version number for rF1. ( 1.0 - 1.2 eg eg) When there is more then one version of a track or car mod their names are different. Self explanatory! If you don't take note of these things , Don't blame the game and ask the games producers to fix your laziness! Either way if you want to join that server you need to get the right content.

The BIG difference here is you may ALREADY have the correct content but the wrong ID! Do you want to to D/L the same content again? I'll beat NO! I know I don't!

If the skins need to be added as a component it's only to suit leagues. Again this hasn't been a problem that require such a system to be needed. Members are required to get a skin packs now which you could already described as a component.
    The BIG difference here is IF and WHEN that league want to have their server open to the public, (Which they do from time to time to help get new members) want be able to do so!

With rF1 they message their members to use only DEFAULT liveries on OPEN servers so anyone can join and not need the skin pack from the league.

This new ModID will stop that completely! Dead! For anyone who wants to race online just to have a race or more so the new comers to rF2 WANT be able to get into any server that has people racing without the correct rFMODID whether he or she has the correct content already installed!

I'm sorry Slothman but I really can't see any BENEFITS to this AT ALL!!

The one thing this DOSE do is MAKE SURE you have a legally paid for install of rF2. Ok I get the idea of having you need to have a personal ID that matchmaker reads before you get to race online. I get the idea why we need to go through matchmaker before you can race at LAN's but that's it!
    The rest of this rubbish is just a game killer! The old hands at this stuff may put up with it for a while but assure you they'll be looking for a better option.

As for new comers to this they are going to be totally confused as to why they can't use this with that! What have I done wrong? Why can't I.... Why do I need that? I have it installed! It's the correct version? Why want it work? This is worse then iRacing!!!!

14. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

How did you come to this conclusion? Can you be more specific on how this is beneficial?

I work with two mod teams. Once you can explain to me how this is a benefit I'll explain how it is done now with one of these teams anyway for rF1 and we can see which one is the more or less confusing and or added work.

15. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Ahh crap. Had a great, well articulated post explaining my thoughts etc etc. And then hit the "back" button on my new mouse...of course when I went forward everything was lost...so I really cant be screwed doing that again...

In short, your right Doug...in its current build, it is not practical and will fail. ISI have made it pretty obvious and clear the MODID system is here to stay.

The options above WILL work. I might go through it over the weekend again, but not tonight or tomorrow night. Essentially, the first point about information is using information already available in the MODID creation. There is an area for a URL. Using that at a server level makes it easier to FIND the information, that in itself is an improvement over rF1.

The two points about the cars need to be considered together with the point about the "temporary skin" being a priority over the other. If that is implemented the other isnt needed and that is an improvement of rF1.

The point about the MOD team is forced organisation...again...will explain more when I can be bothered...

A bit pissed about that actually...the other post I think made same very very good points.

But yes...in its current form...it will fail, as I have said all along.

16. prunn

prunn Registered

I don't really care about mod id or rfmod package and those part of the system, not sure its really an improvement cause online services aren't implemented...
    what i the big FAIL is having to create a virtual mod just to race on a specific track with a specific car
    of course ppl say its easy to do, I'm not saying it isn't

but when you send stuff to normal users it should be working beautifully out of the box so they don't mess around

and worst of all browsing trought mods to find the right one...
    you're gonna have 5 car mod really installed but 30+ rfm to browse... to find the right one, imagine with 20-30 car mods + more tracks... about 130+ rfm
    that's where I don't follow

17. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Here's what confusing,,,getting a track or a mod in a rar file and that rar file quite often contained a .exe file ,ridiculous,then said .exe file was created on a 32 bit system which doesnt nessesarily meen its going to default on a 64 bit,,,,then you get a rar file for a track where the folder structure can change from an rfactor folder(extract to C drive) a gamedata folder(extract to rfactor) or even just a locations folder (extract to gamedata) and of course just the track..Mods usually are a bit more uniform but i have still seen the stuff described for the tracks even for these.

This system is merely doing away with all these different packaging options and making it uniform across the board..

Once the system is all finished View attachment 1015 these options should hopefully be shown when you click a server, saving you the search and ensuring no confusion for what you need.

Now in saying that i do realise the confusion to modders this system is causing but i'm sure once the old dogs have learnt new tricks it will be all good.Or atleast thats what i'm hoping.

Everyone thinks there going to gave to download stuff multiple time's and extra content over and over.This will not be so

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
  18. Nibo

Nibo Registered

This is so frustrating. I drove F2 in Searpoint offline and thought - this is good combination for online race. But I can not race this car on this track online, I can not setup such server :( Also, speaking from the "lazy user/admin" point: I do not want to learn modding just for racing some car and track online. This is not user friendly, this is user "taxing". I want to push "this car + that track" buttons and race, like in rF1. The sooner tracks will be separated from cars in rF2, the better. Or else, I fear, we`ll loose rFactor simracers. Already on our site there is no enthusiasm about rF2 Beta.

19. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I think you'll find it'll be more like prunn described it in post 397. Not to be able to use your content on any server that has what you have installed because your install doesn't have the right ID is. That's ridiculous!

Not being able to use a new track with what ever cars you want because it's not assigned to it is ridiculous!

Not being able to use a new car mod on any track you choose because it's assigned to another is ridiculous!

If a car mod is packed without the track but has a VMod to assign it to a track but you don't have that track you can't use the mod at all!

If a track is packed as we've already see, As a rFcomp you can only use it in All Cars and Track! (Not Online with your friends).

If it's packed with a VMod and it's assigned to a mod you don't have you can't use it.

This is until you get that 130+ + VMod's and constantly growing so you can use any of it. Ok now you say make them! Why? there only any good to you as single player. You wait till a league Admin creates one and adds it to their server. Then you can use it. PROVIDED it's your choice of car. Then every server no matter whether there running the exact same Car and Track combo have DIFFERENT ID's! So now you have the Mod, The Track, A VMod from one server but oh no now you still can't race anyone! Why not? The server you have the VMod for has no one on it! Though you see in the server list there's another two servers with the EXACT same combo but you can't race there either! You don't have the right ID! Ok so now the server tales you were you can get it. Fine go get it. Now your D/Ling. Got it, Installed it, Go back to the server list, What! To late you've mist the start of the race. To bad so sad! What now? Wait till the race is over or try another server? Wait? Ok you wait. The race ends and every one says Good Racing fellows and Good night. Server empties! Now what?

And another thing with these VMod's, IF you don't have all the tracks or a version that's been added to the list in the VMod it WANT install. So it's not just a case of having the cars and track the server you want to join is currently running, You need ALL VMod content!

Constructing rFMOD's
    As per ISI instructions modders that make these rFMod's put a Track and car mod together so at least you can use it. But you have OR you don't want the track that's assigned to that new mod you want! You've got it or it maybe a buggy third rate track you don't want!

Same scenario the other way, You want the track, Not the third rate mod it's assigned to or you have it already 5x because it's the same mod that's been assigned and packed with the other 5 tracks you wanted!

WILL! Already happening!

20. Tim Bennett

Tim Bennett Registered

Correct me if i'm wrong, and this has probably been said.

But doesn't separating modID's from cars and tracks fix all of the problems plus keep the mismatching out like ISI wants?

Seems like a no-brainer to me.