Remove rFmod Petition

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Wrinkly Man, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Registered

yes i know a vmod does not have the content in it.
    in rf1, when i get a mismatch i have to download that one single track and then im good to go. now with rf2 ive to get them all first which would be a pain in the ass if i have to search all over the net for them. finding them all would be harder for a noob then the old system and it's not good for the "regulars" either. + on top of that it uses storage space for stuff i maybe dont even use.
    isi i got faith in you guys. please make this convenient for everyone. for me personally, it is the only draw back of rf2. i really love everything else.

2. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Kleanphil: A central database want happen.

@ISI: If all download are made as rfcomp as car mods & tracks as separate content. Then we open the rFMOD and place it in there. Then this new content becomes apart of your rFMOD. Now the new content can be used online' Offline with any mod or track depending on the content.

This is were I see the biggest issue with this system. The restriction we have of using content with each other offline and online. I what to get a new track and try it out with the mod I what not the one that's packed with it! I don't what to go through the proses of creating a rfmod just to find the new track not hat I want.

I know your going to say just use all cars thing but that fixes the offline testing but online is were 90% of people like to test their new tracks with their league friends.

It seams to be that as far as mismatchs go this system doesn't stop it from happening. It merely assists the user to find the missing content. A vMOD distributed by a league would help those members know what's missing and get it before season starts.

3. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Well put bluntly, if its not a matter of just clicking a server and having the relevent information and content displayed to me with an option to select what i want then, why the hell bother.

If it still meens trawling through websites to find relevent stuff or downloading the same content twice forget it. If this is the case ,well good luck ISI.

I saw great potential for this system i hope i'm not dissapointed.

So i pay a subscription, for what service exactly is this for.Especially when everything seems to be handled by the modders and leagues.

The least that should be offered is a data base for all modders to put there files to make it easier to update content

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  4. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Now you starting to get my frustration :)

5. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Yup i started with great praise for the ID system,but as it becomes clearer on how its gunna be implimented ,my enthuesiasm,spell check please,has wained greatly,and am starting to wonder if its going to be effective under these circumstances.
    When i entered this disscussion i had a clear idea of how it 'should' work,now it seems i was a long way off the mark.
    I hope our comments in this thread are all listened too and hopefully soon we can get some official answer to ultimatly how this system will work because at this stage we all seem to be guessing.
    The best i have on this subject.From memory

QUESTION,'Where is the best place to download new mods and tracks ,will they be hosted on rfactorcentral'

ANSWER, 'rFactorcentral has NOTHING to do with ISI ,we will be hosting 'OUR' mods on 'OUR' servers.

sorry if i didnt quite quote that correctly.But it seems we all on our own.

I thought a subscription offered more than just a platform to play on thats what the initial payment is for, then you pay subscription to get the online content, there has to be some sort of return other than rFactor 2 updates and ISI mods only.

Its looking more like its setup for ISI's own agenda and not necessarily for the good of the modders and players and the game

6. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

also guys look at the big picture and imagine this system in 4 years time when the same amount of content is available as whats in rF1 now...an absolute nightmare

and to top it off we can only have 1 install...so if you screw your install from some dodgy rfmod that someone releases and it WILL happen... put aside the weekend to get everything back in order :eek:

7. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

No i dont see an issue with that Jim,3 years ago storage space was limited, now its huge,in another three who knows.
    If the ID system is done right storage of files will be easy, without them doubling up on files, and being more efficient.
    But keep in mind my previous post on how to set up the game,done correctly it should only be a matter of ,at worst, reinstalling the game and then not reinstalling the offending mod,but hopefully the ability to simply uninstal the mod or track should make it simple

8. Slothman

Slothman Registered

To be fair to ISI...we dont actually know the overall goal here. Gjon has chimed into this thread, much appreciated, but no real hard and fixed goal.

I dont ever remember reading that about ISI and hosting. I remember the complete opposite BUT I really only worried about following this about 6 months ago when the release was getting closer.

So really all our comments are based on what we have NOW....as we dont know what is around the corner.

Who knows it all might blow over and noone will ever remember this thread except to laugh at a few of us.

But I wasnt going to be quite about this considering if it DIDNT change...rF2 is dead before BETA testing is finished :)....too much potential to see that happen without trying :)

9. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

Phil mate...read D.Painters post... http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3146-Remove-rFmod-Petition?p=39605&viewfull=1#post39605 ...this is what will happen no question about it...you need to go and test these things for yourself like some of us have to understand how all this will evolve...even now you cant uninstall Mills and still have meganes work online...so no it wont be simple at all

10. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

The hole idea of this thread is to talk about any issue we are having and may see in the future.

As long as we all continue to be polite and constructive in our posts ISI members are seeing what we are trying to explain as current and/or possible future problems with this system.

Many of us see and understand what this system is trying to achieve which is good. The idea behind the system is good also but at this sage it needs a lot of work to get it up to were it would be more accepted be the hole community. Users and modders alike.

11. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

And yes Jim i'm sure this was because it was included in a mod/ track package that probly shared some aspects of the entire package.

This is why i say ALL files must be ID'd, including Mass files and others, and tracks and mods ect must be created seperatly and then combined into a rFMod and only when you download the files neccesary for a server. This should be easy as long as files are submitted as 'loose' files to a central data base and then combined on request into the 'rFMod' file when you try join a server,so even though your getting a rFMod file it will only have the files you need.
    rFMod file is only a new name for 'instaler exe/RAR file'

But once again this is my perspective of how it should work

Sorry D i was franticly typing when you posted and i totally agree with you the only reason i'm here is to better understand whats happening and to try and offer a perspective

12. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Sorry just to edit last post i didnt meen 'loose' files as such i, probly shoulda said 'rFcmp' files and then these can be constructed as needed when you join a server as rFMod file ,matching that the server is running.
    My main issue is how will these files be delivered efficiently.
    And it most certainly seems any type of 'pack' whether its mod/tracks or even just tracks is going to be detrimental,so it might be easier if they just forget the packs and just go with the VMods ID and go down from there

13. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Ok, looks like tying cars and tracks together is a flawed concept from the base.

Let's say that F1 2012 mod has 3 tracks for starters (Australia, Malaysia, Bahrain), it has ModID = 1.

User has this mod, he can race it online. But 3 other tracks became avalible, so to include it, they are making another (basically the same mod) with additional 3 tracks with ModID = 2.

Let's say the server was updated to the mod with ID = 2, but the loaded track is Australia (which was included in modId = 1).
    User having ModId = 1 can't join the server despite having matching car content and track content. This is stupid, user is forced to find somewhere the new mod.

EDIT:
    And what about some other league wants to online test F1 2012 mod on a completely different track (say Brands Hath)? Well they need to create another mod with ModID = 3. Then all users need to download this mod.

It's a mess.
    END of EDIT.

As many have suggested, there should be split to CarID and TrackID. It eliminates a LOT of hassle and misunderstanding.
    On the server list should be two indicators, they would show if you have the right CarID and TrackID installed. If you have it, then you can join the server, if one of them is "red", then you cannot.

This is really simple and this is the way it should be done.

14. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

+1 to separate TrackID and CarID

15. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

yes i totaly agree thuGG, i sorta said that few pages ago but the title of the thread is 'remove rFMod file' and being that this is the main identifying file that ISI is using to do all the matchmaking, you sorta can't.
    So thats what it should be a 'Mod' file only.
    All that there seems to be needed is a rFTrack ID because i cant see how an individual component file for a track can be updated unless you update the entire component, but once again i mighta missed something there.

16. Blaktop

Blaktop Registered

From what I understand you can have the Packages folder anywhere you like. There is an option in the launcher to set the path to the Packages folder. I'm assuming that means you can put it where you like and then map the path so the launcher and game can find it. If you install rF2 to the default location then the default for Packages is in Documents (I think). I installed rF2 to my E: drive.....a separate physical drive and the installer dropped the Packages folder in the rF2 folder automatically. When I get comfortable with the game I will work out exactly where I want it to be, move and remap the path.

For rF1 I have a storage drive that contains virtually anything I have ever downloaded for rFactor.....it's currently at around 126Gb, my rFactor install drive (with remote Locations plus 7 rF1 installs) sits at 52Gb and I have around about 27Gb on my desktop that is recent and current stuff. Storage is cheap, I don't have a problem keeping it all.....if the rfmod system gets sorted I'm picking my RF2 storage will be much more organised. I'm picking my Packages folder will end up there as well..

As far as the OT goes. I haven't played with packaging and ModIDs much at all so I can't really pass an opinion ( I am trusting ISI to get to a stage where it is easy to use and provides a good experience for most of us). I would like to see a separate ID for mods and cars though. I don't like the idea of having tracks tied to a particular set of tracks/cars. I'd like the option to drive any car on any track, online. Being restricted to a few tracks for each car reminds me of that "other" sim that I no longer play....and that's one of the reasons (one of a few....lol). I know it can be got around by creating a new rfmod.....but it shouldn't be necessary....all that needs to happen is for the game to check the car ID and the track ID......regardless of which rfmod they belong to.

17. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Blaktop, it has been advised that puting all in the core folder is quote 'BAD',just to clear that up,for obviouse reasons

18. klaus01

klaus01 Registered

I think it's not Modsystem benefits such gut.Warum not the old way

19. Toonces

Toonces Registered

20. racechicken

racechicken Registered

i love the old system too. Especially for leagues it would better if you can send little files to all instead upload the whole mod to megaup...eeek.... to one of the filehosters.