Remove rFmod Petition

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Wrinkly Man, Jan 22, 2012.

1. jtbo

jtbo Registered

All I know is that I never have had any issues with rF1 mod installation or usage (when I used it online, there was few times some mismatches, but those were very easy to solve), but I have had problems with rf2, even with ISI's own content, so at current state it is not offering much.

But, there is always a but, I would say give it more time, so that everyone gets used to system and that ISI can refine it a bit, it is just first attempt and a beta.

2. Tony H

Tony H Banned

+1
    why dont they integrate a system like i remember 4yrs ago back in mw2 days, when u join a server, like 1 a friends currently on, which had 'map makers' new maps on it, it would automatically d\l it, install it & you could join & play, was easy, a couple of mouse clicks. Surely today they could make it so the mod\tracks could be d\l when u join server, if you didnt already have it. :-/

3. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I'm not 100% on this but my understanding is if you have the tracks and cars already all you need is the vMOD (Virtual) This is basically a pathway not the complete mod and/or tracks. Those things are separate and are called rFMOD. You still need a modid for the vMOD before you share it out but as a text thing it's very small. Each vMOD is what let's you access your leagues season so the admin of you league needs to make a vMOD for you all to go through the seasons schedule.

A vMOD has to have a MODID the same as a track or car mod. This ID is to allow matchmaker to recognise and allow the mods and tracks to be used online.

Put simply you'll need in your mod manager the cars mod rFMODRenault. All the tracks as rFMODMills +++++ other tracks. Then now all you need is the vMOD from your league admin to path these things together.

Your not downloading big files that are contained in the rFMOD files just the path text file vMOD. Unless you don't have them. Then, Now I'm not sure on this but I think your supposed to be able to D/L the missing components from matchmaker. Like a simsync type idea.

Kleanphil: Once a MODID is created the only one who can edit or modify the mod is the creator because the ID will only recognise the the account of the user that created it so only he or she can make any changes.

This were it gets interesting. Because the game now has three aliments or for this two, We have Single Player and Multiplayer. If you practice online all the time and don't use single player the vMOD you have from your league will be enough. But to have access to the same mod and tracks offline you will need a vMOD for your single player also. This one will not need a MODID. The MODID is for online only.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  4. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Yes D,after a couple of beers and a bit of thought it becomes clearer.

As i see it when you initually submit a rFmod or track to ISI that number sticks and your the only one with those id numbers for your files.Therefore making you the only one to update them.

Ok this is how i see it working

A Mod may be submited and its ID is specific to your version.

Mod Id may consist of this info.

1st number represents the mod eg 3.

Next five may represesent the mass files. eg.00000

And one may be for tracks added to Mod eg 0 0r 1.

If tracks are added it will read a sub file to get the id's for these tracks.

So the initial id will be 300001 With a sub file of track Id's

If a Mass file is submited as an update then depending which file the mass file number in the id should change eg 310001.

Then it will know that mass file "x" has been updated once and so on.

Therefore making it easy to identify individual files to update instead of entire files if you allready have them.

Vmods work on the same principle of merely using these numbers to put together a virtual mod it will not change the initial mod id or track id and you will still have to download additional files.This actually makes it easier to run earlier versions without too much confusion.ALSO to add the this ,this may be why mod instals are retained in packages to allow the game to resort to earlier versions,not sure on that one.If this is true, putting packages on another drive might be a good idea,that way you save your initial download files safe if c drive dies,rather than manually saving your downloads on another drive

I know what ive typed may be off the mark bit of how ISI have done it but i'm sure its close to the basic idea.

5. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Registered

all i know is. i want to select 60s mod then pick a car and then drive putnam. does not work. needs to be fixed.
    sure it is nice to have some order for the online part. but i think it is not good to sacrifice the most basic car and track selection for it.(system doesnt even work properly onlin because people still have problems)

6. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

your mods or tracks will not work online untill submited and officially released from ISI i'm guessing.But i'm sure theres a way

7. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

What made you say that?

ISI don't have any control over the mods. The ID is send to you, I'm not sure how but the ID becomes part of the mod so then the release and destribution is still up to you. No different then it is with rF1 or any other modderble format.

The idea as a hole has merit but it also has many faults.

8. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

whatever you want to call it...the point is you still need to have a compiled rfmod whether it be a complete package or a virtual mod to play content online...if you run in 3-4 leagues running v8s and aussie tracks with identical content but the rfmod(even if it is virtual) is made by each league you will to have all the rfmods installed to join each leagues rooms...public servers will be even worse once the content starts flowing out (Putnum Park is the 1st example of this...try and get online atm with it and see the hassle your in for to do it)

as for only the ModID creator being the only 1 that can update it..thats true...but anyone can make a ModID with the exact same content and if you dont have there rfmod (even if it is virtual) you cant join there room...which will happen just like my earlier post scenario

9. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Hey D,i said that because this is how ISI will control the main content of the game,but i'm sure this doesnt stop modders creating an online game to test there mods.In many ways it is simalar to rF1 but the main setup it designed to make it easy for noobs and just the mainstream gamers who dont need to be confused,all you modders ect should be able to work this system out.
    This is what this release is for

10. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

mate its even worse for noobs...try explaing to a noob who has downloaded and installed V8s and all aussie tracks that he potentially needs 4 rFmods (virtual or complete...doesnt matter) to race in 4 different servers running the same content as each other and they have to go searching over the net for those 4 files to allow them to play what they have already downloaded and installed

11. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I`m too concerned that basically for every online race with new car-track combination (and they are almost always new) we must make or find rmod or vmod. Some simplification needed. May be separate cars from tracks. I don`t like it that I can not drive any car on any track without some kind of modding. And this was one of key features of rF1.

12. JoshJ81

JoshJ81 Registered

+1 to keep the old rFactor system, creating a mod in rF2 is more confusing than in rFactor. Why is there a Core, Installed and ModDev with all the same stuff? I can create a mod within all of this but I see no benefit to all the extra work and creation of many downloads. Its taking up way to much space on HDs and to much time.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Right now we have components which are signed and could easily be listed by the server (to the client) which could then have a look at its own installed components and work out if the required ones are all present. No mismatches, no rfmod.

But to be fair, we started this discussion nearly as soon as the packaging system was described and ISI basically said we'd see how the rfmods would fit in, and also that they'd already had discussions about how to make 'casual' races easier to accomplish.

14. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

+1

15. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

+2 This Would eliminate 99% of issues with misatches.

16. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

LOL thats the whole idea ,all files will be kept seperate by ISI, if some one makes a mod file and says this is the version we run and these are the track,unless you have these files it will only download the files you need,but i do believe you will have the option to update specificly what you need to race there and then without downloading all specific files for that rFMod file.
    The point is to ensure all files submitted to an online game is officially released by ISI as a update ,track or plugin,and making less confusion,no more searching i think

17. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Ever heard of cloud guys.
    This is what the update feature is for.
    Its not hard for noobs to see a track or a mod has an update and they have a choice to update,much easier than searching websites.

Any mod and track must be released through ISI for it to work correctly.

TOO many beers now to make sense of what i'm writing

18. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

ever heard of a company holding copyright protected material for people to download...Megaupload maybe?...ISI wont be storing any mods mate

19. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

ISI have allready stated mods will be released through them,well thats what i got from it.
    This Megaupload thing is totally unrelated to what rfactor is,this was blatant file sharing.Even though you should be aware of any copyright issue as far as music or images i dont think you got too much to worry about.

20. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

And to add to this he also will need to create a vMOD to use the V8's Offline if the rFMOD hasn't been packed with all the tracks he wants to use. The problem just go on and on I agree it's not a great system. Like I've said a few times now "It has many floors".

Why don't this track work? I think the read-me may answer that for you.
    Putnam Park v0.2 for rFactor

Installation
    ------------

Please do not distribute in any other form.
    To install place the mod in rFactor2\Packages folder.
    Run Launch rFactor, and then choose Manage Mods.
    Under Options detick show Mods Only
    Right Click on the Putnam Park entry and Install
    Track only appears under All Cars and Tracks Series in Single Player