ISI, Don't go to E3 Please. Do not support ESA (ie SOPA)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZeosPantera, Jan 19, 2012.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

2. Valerio Kinex

Valerio Kinex Registered

if ISI go it's bad. Bad for ISI reputation.

who will go will be the modern warfare franchisers...and other garbage.
    going to e3 is like for U2 doing commercial music...they did...they lost a lot of karma.

E3 is for bitches like lady gaga and spice girl.
    We're the real deal...like a good ole blues song

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Absolute gold Valerio.
    Too many people are sheep when it comes to music, " ooh, the radio is playing it, it must be good" :mad:

Regarding the SOPA subject, I have not done much research on it.
    I'm all for paying for what you use/view/listen, be it software, music, movies etc.
    People work to produce these items and so deserve payment, although some payments are disgustingly high, cough Hollywood cough.
    From what I've read, the proposed laws will have a lot more negative outcomes compared to what they think they will achieve.

Anyway, I just mainly wanted to post regarding Valerio's post but thought I'd better say something on topic.

4. Vaad

Vaad Registered

Agreed i havent posted before but i have been an active reader for RF1/RF2 for a long while now. But this cause is enough for me to sign up just to say please do not go to E3. ESA is SOPA's biggest follower if you can make the ESA change there mind SOPA will fail.

5. fedexpress

fedexpress Registered

can someone explain how an act which is targeted at copyright infringements affect free speech on the internet?

to me, this act has nothing to do with free speech lol!

6. Krunch

Krunch Registered

I'd also like to add my voice to the request. Please ISI don't attend E3 and please oppose the SOPA legislation. The enforcement of IP rights is important but not at the expense of freedom IMO.

7. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

i think the issue is more the fact that they will have the power to indiscrimanately block websites regardless of whether there is any copywrite infringements,therefore blocking more content than is nessesary. The biggest fear is creating another 'Great firewall Wall Of China'.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  8. Chris English

Chris English Registered

Fully agree with all above posts. Even though it's a US law it'll have a massive effect on the Internet as we know it (by destroying it) throughout the world if it's passed.

9. ROON

ROON Registered

Hi ADSTA, Josh.F here. We race on ORA together sometimes. :) Anyway, see below:

I encourage you both (and everyone else) to watch this video. The guy who's produced it is a well known personality on YouTube and also a UK law graduate, so he knows his stuff. The SOPA and PIPA bills are complex and difficult to explain, but he does a very good job of taking complicated language and conveying it in a way that we 'normal' people will understand. :) Once you've watched all 20 or so minutes, you'll understand why these bills are potentially disastrous and have far reaching implications.

10. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

I've been tempted to ask ISI about their stance on SOPA and PIPA, largely because I think they have more reason to be against it than most. How long do we think a modding community that recreates properties under a reading of fair use people already debate will last if just one corporation decides to try and add, say, rFactor Central's name to the blacklist?

11. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I really doubt anyone with any strong legal power even knows R Factor Central even exists also it's all home made content, thinking that will be blocked if SOPA even got on it's feet is completely over the top.

12. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

No, it really isn't, the modding community has been targeted for copyright infringement before and under SOPA/PIPA all it would take is one complaint. The thing about these bills is they effectively abolish 'fair use' laws. Indeed, any site that so much as links to complained about material could feel the sting, including forums, image and video hosts as these bills would make deep linking the same as actually perpetrating the copyright infringement, not to mention upgrading it to a felony.

Edit - good point below, let me point you to what Tim has said:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
  13. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald Registered

It would seem that SOPA/PIPA would directly harm RF2 due to its reliance on modding. Tim Wheatley has tweeted information against SOPA. https://twitter.com/#!/timwheatley1979

Seeing as there is no "all thoughts are my own" on Tim's twitter then it must be the stance of the company, right? :D

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

O RLY

Its the notion that there no longer needs to be involvement from the justice departments/laws to block content/sites/whatever.
    They can go about their bizz without having to ask a judge first which in a normal democracy is the way to go ensuring nobody is allowed to abuse their powers. (whether that actualy functions is another discussion)

So any site/blog/whatever is a potential target and it depends on how paranoia/devious/honest/willing-to-let-live the powers that be are in the future. i mean they could have had an argument with their wife and all of a sudden 500 sites are blocked. whom would check? protect them sites?
    So as a horror-scenario: we have some issues with Gjon because he did not reply to our email within 00:00.023 seconds and we are so upset and hurt by this we start to post some links that point to illegal torrents or whatever.
    theoretical end-result, no more isi in the US.

It will be about what the powers that be are interpeting. their ideas on how things should be, as aposed to a general democratic consensus and educated decisions. this is how China does work, no need to go check the constitution or ask a judge, just bloody block everything that has a dollar-sign innit (this happened a few weeks ago in china)(oh no wait that was Iran and text-services if i recall correctly)

I will admit that people do tend to get wound up too much and create a hype arround this, injecting fear into eachothers minds, especially the conspiracy stories that are ever so populair are over the top sometimes but it is a risk nonetheless.

O RLY!

People will not try and crack rf2? and maybe even succeed, and then seed it?

I dont think we can decide for ISI what is best or claim to know what is correct. we have not seen the numbers and data on this issue but ISI probably has.
    They would at least have the right to make up their own mind based on real figures rather then us guestimating a whole bunch of copy/paste from others on the internet without actualy knowing if it is reliable information.

15. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Registered

If i made a F1 RF2 mod and posted it on this website. this website will be shut down in an instance due to copyright infringements and possibly rf2 servers being shut down due to the game running copyright infringements mods.

16. Bty

Bty Registered

BAM!

17. zemaniac

zemaniac Registered

+1 for request :)

18. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

ISI might actually lose out quite allot if they didn't go to E3

Some of you are forgetting that E3 is not just about the public showing off of games , allot of companies go there for networking.For a company like ISI that licenses its engine to people its a good event for them to meet new people and build new contracts.

Lots of indi companies can afford not to go as they don't intend to license there game to people or do publisher deals allot of them sell direct to market or use steam.

If ISI were not intending to go it could be good for them to pretend they were going to go and now say they wont due to the whole PIPA SOPA nonsense.

19. Tickford

Tickford Registered

Gold! ....and somewhat scary. But, life has many examples of this level of stupidity.

20. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Aye, it's bad enough that as it stands internet piracy carries (significantly) heavier fines than outright shoplifting, especially as the whole while 'used' music/game resale is perfectly legal which is a level of stupidity hitherto only matched by suicide being punishable by death. Essentially it green-lights profiting from the lost sales of game companies with the limited physical copies whilst disallowing free distribution of replica copies. Logic! Intellectual properties are worth protecting but the system as it stands is a complete anachronistic, unjust and contradictory disaster zone. Thanks to the Disney corporation who saddled us with this crap, Uncle Walt's legacy includes massive injustice as well as fascism!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012