Freezing and weirdness (Nvidia)

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Old Hat, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

First few times loading Spa, screen froze and I had to ctrl-alt-del. Updated to latest video drivers, and it seemed to fix it.

Then, in single player mode, around Mills, Megane *seemed* OK, but open wheelers produced several temporary freezes of screen + sound, it would then continue playing OK but with graphics messed up, e.g. blue tyres, strange patterns on track, and a 'mesh' hanging low overhead, trees wrong colour and general random wrong colours. On exiting to menu, numbers blocked in/missing etc.

Several times I exited and restarted game and it'd be OK for anything from 1 lap to about 20 until a re-occurrence of above. Last time it froze completely and I had to ctrl-alt-del and stop rfactor2.exe process.

None of this has left any error messages in the Event Viewer.

This happened over 2 days with an iRacing session in between which didn't have any problems.

System:
    XP 32Pro.
    Intel E6700 core 2 duo 2.67GHz
    Abit IN9 32-Max
    BFG GTX 285 OC
    2G Corsair Twinx DDR2 6400C4
    2x500G Seagate SATA2
    X-fi Fatality
    850W Coolermaster Real Power Pro RS-850-EMBA
    Dell 2407WFP (1920x1200x32)
    No system overclocking

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Did you uninstall any required components which were part of the original installation? (This is usually done in the mod manager by unselecting show only mods, and then tinkering with the visible items).

3. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

No, nothing like that.

But tentatively... I've just updated my Creative sound drivers, and survived two AI races and a solo practice session without a problem. That's a first. With quite high settings too.

I've monitored temperature with Afterburner and it certainly wasn't heat - was happening in the 60s whereas iRacing was OK at much higher temp with less fan. I mentioned something about this to one of the other sufferers.

Tried last 3 stable nvidia drivers and new logitch drivers, didn't make any difference.

Btw, it did happen twice to me whilst watching replays FWIW.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Ok, please let us know if it continues or if you notice a pattern.

5. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Bugger! It's just hung again.

I can't really see a pattern. Probably 3 times watching replays. Several times I've found myself closing fast on the AI (Megane Malaysia) and hit brakes, swerved, and it's happened just then. Few times maybe exiting corners and getting on the power. Everytime but one (when I had to ctrl+alt+del) it's just been a frozen screen and sound, I wait and then play continues with textures(?) randomised, and escaping to the menu that's all unreadable, but it still works. The next menu back usually looks OK. If I go back in to the race menu it's still messed up. I have to leave the game.

6. faderone

faderone Registered

Hi,

make a backup of userdata\player\player.plr
    edit player.plr with a texteditor

locate the line
    Rearview_Back_Clip="0.00000"

and replace it by
    Rearview_Back_Clip="80.00000"
    (haven't tested other values so far)

Save the player.plr

Please let me know, if it worked.

Regards,
    faderone

7. Nizmo

Nizmo Registered

I want to report the same problem, especially around Mills in the Megane. The video driver stops working for 2-5 seconds, black screen, and the car ends up in a fence. During the black screen, I feel FFB in the wheel. At Mills, this happens at the same place on the track almost every time, just after the 3rd to last turn, the fast left sweeper with lots of textures on the right. It can happen at other areas/tracks as well, but very likely after the turn mentioned down that small straight to the penultimate turn. When I go back to the desktop, I get the message "video driver has stopped and has resumed" or something like that.

Using a GTX285, just updated to the most recent driver too (285.62 I think) and thought that might fix the issue. This never happens with any other program on my computer. Racing sims, Flight sim, photoshop, etc. rF2 is the only one. Would appreciate you guys looking into this.

Faderone, what is this fix supposed to do? I'll give it a try later, but curious what 'Rearview_Back_Clip="0.00000"' affects.

8. faderone

faderone Registered

Hi,

Rearview_Back_Clip="0.00000"
    does in fact change nothing - because that is the default value.
    Rearview_Back_Clip="80.00000" defines the clipping (disappearing) distance of objects in mirrors (at least, that's what i guess it's supposed to).

What's most important - "80.000" stopped rFactor2 from freezing on NVidia Geforce 200 series gpu's (gtx260 here) - or at least it did that for me.

Regards,
    faderone

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  9. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

This may not be the same thing Nizmo. Might be, but search the Nvidia (drivers) forum and you'll find other sufferers with this error message. You could look into heat, if you haven't - some say.

With my case anyway, and a couple of others here, it's a freeze of sound and screen, then after say 10secs everything continues normally apart from random graphical effects. No messages. Had a couple of marshalls turn into grass/tree people (skin complexion) the other day. Tyres always go odd. Bits of purple everywhere. And those lumps of gravel that get thrown up off road turn into white vertical sheets. It happened whilst stationary in a pit stop yesterday (where nothing's moving!).

I'll try faderone's mysterious suggestion too. (edit I see he's explained now)

BTW, Yesterday I also had an application crash when I got to the 'race' screen for the first time with an F2 car:

Event ID: 1000
    Faulting application rfactor2.exe, version 1.0.0.5, faulting module d3d9.dll, version 5.3.2600.5512, fault address 0x00089dea.

Got to say that in a year of iRacing virtually every day, I never had single game crash/malfunction.

FWIW, enabling sun occlusion causes a drop in GPU activity from near max down to 60% (as well as FPS). Don't know if that's expected or points to something. The hangs don't seem any more likely as far as I can tell with higher demand, e.g. on max graphics settings at 40fps rather than low settings at 180fps.

10. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Rearview_Back_Clip="80.00000" didn't work. :(

Parked on the grass at Spa for about 5 mins. Came back, restarted engine, and just starting to move then wham- visuals frozen for ~10secs, and then colours and textures all messed up once it's moving again.

11. faderone

faderone Registered

Hi,

that's sad.
    Maybe it only works in combination with:

Rearview Cull="1"
    (in the player.plr - originial value is "0" I guess, original desciption: Whether to cull objects in the rearview based on visgroups in the SCN file)

Regards
    faderone

P.S.:
    I have all forms of replay disabled.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  12. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Rearview Cull="1" on mine actually.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway faderone. Could well be replays or anything. I'm thinking there's more sounds going on than other sims too. Could be anything but I can't really be bothered testing every combination. I'm getting used to driving in a surreal landscape now. To be honest, the default isn't all that....;)

13. Nils

Nils Registered

Just to report, same problem here with a PNY 285 GTX and nVidia 290 driver. The rearview back clip or the cull didnĀ“t help.

14. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I can't reproduce this freezing/CTD problem but often I'll try to get on track and it'll either CTD with nothing or give an error message that is generic (never bothered to write them down- they are non-specific error messages)

15. whiplash

whiplash Registered

Could you please check if this freezing is causing the gpu core and memory clocks to be turned down?

16. rer8

rer8 Registered

Tracks won't Load: CTD

I have had 2 days of unsuccessful Hosting attempts and too many Server Connection Failed "flags" to count. I had previously joined and raced several times and logged onto my own server and raced with other players as well. Since I had downloaded and installed several "mods" and wasn't sure if they created a fault, I have just completed a clean re-install of rFactor 2. I only loaded the original opening day mods, just to see if it would make a difference. Additionally, I reviewed and evaluated my static ip, port forwarding of the router, and verified the firewall settings. The initial 2 attempts to load Spa with an F2 car resulted in a hang/CTD. I have only Spa and Monaco loaded at this time and neither track will load. I will work on this some more and advise if I come up with any answers. Of course, I would appreciate any ideas offered by the forum.

I posted this information in another place but I am really looking for answers... so any chance of getting a reply justifies it for me, and who knows maybe we can help some other testers along the way. Randy

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2012
  17. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Not sure what you mean there whiplash - permanently or just the period after the freeze. I think they drop off immediately afterwards if I exit the track, looking at the Afterburner traces. But pretty sure they do anyway. And then go up again next time on track.

18. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Had a hang/freeze just after a race back in the pit lane. (BTW, the AI rear-end you going into the pits as well).

I then watched the 'psychedelic' replay, used left-arrow key to wind backwards, and then when simultaneously pressing the <shift> key in an attempt to speed up the rewind, it froze again exactly as I pressed the <shift>. The road looked better after the first freeze IMO. :)

This is after the 2nd one. View attachment 1053

19. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

I found that a Duo Core and Nvidia with rfactor2 don't really like to be OCsd to much.
    Also seeing that you have only 2GB of memory I can Almost bet that you are pulling 2 GB of Memory running RF2,Wheel,and what other programs you run.
    With that being said You and I will Benefit from GameBooster You need to shutdown as many processes as you can and save Memory cause RF2 is a Memory hog on my Sysyem. 4GB of memory on my system is pullingclose to 3GB of memory with my setup.
    Try and keep the CPU at stock speeds while testing your setup for RF2.

Anyways here are a few names:
    GameBooster
    Nvidia- 295.51 Get the Beta Driver works well.
    DPC Latency checker.

these 3 programs are a ambulance for running RF2 lol

20. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

As stated in the first post, my system isn't overclocked - other than the factory OC'd GTX 285 and I've heard it's safer not to reduce/interfere with that in these situations. And I won't anyway. I've tried that last 3 Nvidia WHQL drivers (driver sweeper in between) and have gone back to what nVidia appear to think is the most stable of them to date - 275.33. I've always made a point of shutting down as many services/processes and startups as possible, but it can be more trouble than it's worth. Sometimes they take up very little space individually and then further down the line (when you've forgotten about turning one off) you suddenly find an error arising because of something that now needs to be running. I can see shortage of physical memory hurting performance but wouldn't have thought it should cause a complete malfunction.