I can import a complete track from rf1 !

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mario Morais, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

The game is not open source; it's an open moddable platform. You understood perfectly kleanphil's point.

If all modders were afraid to release their tools / tracks / cars etc because “copyright” infringements or bad conversions, RF1 would be dead within 2 months. It just survived because the community’s view, in general, is to share.

Again, the concern about bad track conversions is simply ridiculous. They will be made, with tools or not. This is an accomplished fact.

Bob’s Track Builder, for instance: it’s a very nice tool, but it also allowed hundred awful new tracks with poor textures, grotesque AIW behavior, poor 3d models etc. Rfactor 1 didn’t die because Bob’s Track Builder although tons of rubbish tracks had been made with it.

2. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

God could not have said this any better, awesome reply!! Had to give you some reputation for that one..lol

And I have decided to convert my favorite track right now since it is in MAX and read that tutorial again that talks about real road, the track itself is EPIC and looks awesome already but adding the new technology is the way to go and why not figure this stuff out first before attempting my own. I might have questions later so keep watching for my posts boys.

3. ethone

ethone Registered

As the original author, you "own" that copyright to your original work unless you specify a license under which some of those rights are released (some CC licenses would be an example). Writing "(c)" or "Copyright by" or any variation thereof does nothing.

4. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

In the USA that is not true. This page has more info about it. Here is an excerpt :

5. Domi

Domi Registered

@Mario

You can't do anything to stop having low quality tracks. They will come anyway...

6. ethone

ethone Registered

How is that different from what I wrote? You don't need to plaster a copyright notice on it and you can go for a less restrictive license like Creative Commons.

7. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Pretty much, yeah. People seem to confuse copyright for trademarks, the latter of which must be applied for. Copyright exists once an individual has created something and put it in public, it's whether they will enforce copyright (and if they can prove copyright) where things get complex. As a rule there's less likely to be confusion if you put a copyright notice down but ultimately people should realise that an absence of one does not mean an absence of intellectual ownership.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
  8. jorge salgueiro

jorge salgueiro Registered

A great script would be one that would take the original road textures and fabricate real road... that would be a serious script :p

9. Jaageri

Jaageri Registered

To freew67

Yes it's actually a fact that a couple of track builders have sadly passed away and there was R.i.p posts on a couple simracing forums that i have been reading for the last 8 years.

Frank55
    http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?p=826044

And the Zonda mod for RF1
    There where couple more i remember in RF1 and GTL/GTR2 community who also passed away a few years ago that had made some tracks or mods for GTR2,GTL,RF1.

As also stated there's probably more people trying to figure out how to quickly and easily convert tracks to RF2 from RF1 so sooner or later there will be some kind of toolpack to do it.
    Good night, time to race.

10. freew67

freew67 Registered

I knew about Frank55 but thats all Ive seen. Was just odd to see was all. Never really think about that tbh.

On the quick import into rf2, tbh its still fairly easy. Just a little bit of leg work to get the tex sorted once imported.

11. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Yes thankyou Satangos that is exactly what i meant.'Open moddable platform',where no money is exchanged and all shared.Bring on Bathurst

12. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

I do not know the difference between modding games/creating 3d content, textures and the like,
    as compared to other types of copyright properties, but there are forms, and fees to be paid to obtain a copyright.
    you just don't create something and it's set in stone,
    if you do not have the proper forms and paper work, it's not going to hold up in a court of law.
    I know as i'm a musician, and have a more than a few songs that have copyrights to them.
    but in music, even though you own the copyrights, does not mean you own the publishing rights.
    that is something totally different. if you record for a record company, they own part of or all the publishing right,
    that determines who gets paid for the sale of the material, and only who can sell it.

13. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Good idea thanks.. i will try later..

14. jorge salgueiro

jorge salgueiro Registered

you never stop to surprise me, you are a great modder :)

15. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Estes gajos estão com paneleirices.

16. Valerio Kinex

Valerio Kinex Registered

If the quality loss isn't that big and you only lose sunflowers and clouds...who cares.

At least we would have the tracks....i don't watch sunflowers when i'm speeding

17. GothaR

GothaR Registered

Indeed, I just want Nordschleife :)

18. Dany Mitchel

Dany Mitchel Registered

Hey just an idea Once you have ported over the track to rFactor2 can you not then edit the track and use a more modern and better looking texture giving you and overall better looking map

Me too and a Bugatti

19. les

les Registered

hey mario some of us need some help with importing tracks i wish you would share your tool with us

20. superkolos

superkolos Registered