TrackIR &/or other head tracking support

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by sf4JC, Jan 18, 2012.

1. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I gave a try to FaceTracknoir and was surprised how good it work with rF2 and my integrated webcam. I used the Fake Track IR and nearly default settings, just inverting some axes. The fact is I found it's really more difficult to drive like this! You originally have to deal with your car, you wheel and the curve, and here it's adding a new dimension to deal with : your real head. Watching inside a curve at high speed and you go straight in the grass ;) So I guess it's a question of habit, so I'll have another try with your settings Scott, thanks for posting.

By the way, related, but kind off topic (sorry about that) I seems to remember we had a slider in rF1 allowing you to have your head (camera) turn automatically inside the curve depending the wheel position (I hope I'm clear to describe it, not sure). I found a "head movement" slider in rF2 but it don't do this (100% per default). Is it planed? Or perhaps already existing and I missed it?

2. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

Try the Look Ahead slider 2 sliders up from the Head Movement slider. I'm unsure what the slider between the 2 does, I should have tested that before replying but didn't have the time. It may even give you more movement, not sure.

Scott

3. hoover

hoover Registered

hi folks, I just installed FTNOIR1.6 and it all seems to be working fine, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how to activate it inside the game. the free look key is assigned to "u" (default inside rf2), but using the profile posted here (rfactor00050.zip or something similar), ftnir doesn't seem to take over "mouse look" functionality at all (the mouse still works fine when pressing "u").

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Uwe

4. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

I'll try and get to this later today when I get a chance, still feeling under the weather a little. I will try and post screenshots and such as well. I think I also need to read over this thread because i think there is a few ways to set it up described. The first one was because of ISI's TrackIR functionality wasn't set yet, and it was just one of the only ways to get it working. There are advantages to using it like that and making videos, but I went back to the FakeTrackIR protocol once the TrackIR functionality started working again in rFactor2.

Getting a little light-headed again, so I'll be back later. I must say though there is going to be a surprise in the next FaceTrackNoIR update (Hope it comes soon) in it's functionality (all for the better).

Scott

5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

For me it was needed to press it on and off from user interface of FTNOIR several times, then waiting really long time in game and sometimes it started to work

6. hoover

hoover Registered

yep, meanwhile it's started to work on my end too, stopping and re-starting the ftnir process using the assigned hotkey did the trick. Now it works mostly reliably, sometimes it loses track of my face, but that's only happened once.

However using the meganes @ sepang north for a direct comparison, I find ftnir introduces micro-stutters and a bit of lag into rf2,but that's to be expected I guess. CPU usage is 13% according to the built-in stat tool, I'm running rf2 on a quad core i5. It's great to be able to "look into the corner", it really adds to the immersion. Now if only I could tweak it a bit so rf2 is as responsive as with a static view it'd be a definite keeper.

Cheers, Uwe

7. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

Good to hear you got it working, hoover. As far as the CPU usage, sometimes you can set up the computer to run FaceTrackNoIR on the 1st core, and run rFactor2 on the remaining cores and see what happens. It worked great on my quad core AMD, but on the 6-core AMD I have right now, I sometimes have problems electing what programs are on the 1st core. But it may just be the program I use now to do that (PriFinitty64). I am going to try and post a video of one of the updates that may make it into the FaceTrackNoIR v1.7 release later if I actually get the time for those of you that have used FreeTrack in the past. But as far as getting FaceTrackNoIR set up comfortably, it does take a bit of patience for sure, and some time getting to know the software, but take your time and the end results will be very pleasurable. Version 1.7 will be a lot easier to set up in my opinion, it gets better with each release to be sure.

Scott

8. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

Here's a glimps at the future of FaceTrackNoIR, but you'll have to forgive my video clairity. Haven't done a video in a while, and it really shows.

9. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Have you noticed that in most head tracking videos the driver never actually moves his head while driving. It gets too confusing, you can't tell if it's the tracking or your car sliding.

I have recently removed all the Deadzones from my TrackIR and have a 1:1 kind of setup. This is the only way my brain can learn the movements and as such allows me to actually look around on the move instead of just in the pits.

I'll try to do a short vid if anyone is interested. Makes a huge difference coming out of tight turns, especially if you find yourself off your normal racing line.

10. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

I was just thinking that about same thing today, I keep my head pretty still most of the time unless in unpredictable circumstances, or even the occasional spinout so as not to drive back into a lane that will be occupied immediately (I tend to spin out a lot). I think I'll do as you suggested and make a separate Profile to see what's what. With the Point Tracker module a person may not even need the DeadZones. Thanks for the input kaptainkremmen! I think I'm also going to try to clean up that video or make a new one, that one really is poor.

Scott

11. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

After I removed the deadzones I changed my seat position so I couldn't see the mirrors properly and had to move my head to look behind etc. It helps force repeated head movements and your brain learns quicker :)

I play a few First Person Shooters, the first thing I do is turn off mouse acceleration. You can't learn to snap aim with it on. Head tracking with ramped profiles and deadzones introduces acceleration to the movement and this makes it very hard to be consistent.

I watched a bit of Fraps cap earlier and when I look at the rear view mirror it almost looks like I have a 'look at mirror' button.

Opposite lock stuff is where it really comes into it's own, 'look to apex' goes nuts when you have to correct a slide or spin.

Jon

12. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

Settings .ini files for FaceTrackNoIR v1.70

Here are some of my updated .ini Settings files for FaceTrackNoIR v1.70 (released back in February or March, I cannot exactly remember at the moment).

- for the FaceAPI tracker option ( View attachment rF2_FaceAPI_0902132230_v1.70.zip )

- for the PointTracker tracker option ( View attachment rF2_PointTracker_0902132222_v1.70.zip )

Scott

EDIT: I forgot to mention again, that everybody's got possibly a different computer setup (single or multi-monitor, different webcam and/or webcam location, and especially a different lighting situation, etc.), so you may need to tweak the setup a bit to suit your needs.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
  13. hoover

hoover Registered

I finally managed to resolve my issue with FaceTrackNoIR and the 64 bit rfactor2 executable, using the npclient64.dll found in the OpenTrack zip archive.

Cheers, Uwe

14. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

THANKS for providing that info, hoover!

Scott

15. hoover

hoover Registered

You're welcome, Scott ;)

Uwe

16. hoover

hoover Registered

You're welcome, Scott ;)

Uwe

17. FatCity

FatCity Registered

Hi, I just installed the Facetrack NOIR Vers 2.00 program to use with RF2, I can get my head to show in the widget and make it move around etc, but for the life of me, how do I get it to start in the game? I go into the game and go to race etc, but nothing happens when I am in the car. I press "u" as that's the freelook button and it still doesn't work, just works with the mouse still. Please can anyone tell me what I have to do to start it working in the game.

18. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

Can you give me a screenshot of your FaceTrackNoIR folder? If someone or I cannot help you here, it may be best to post at their forum. Also, can you let us know what tracker and what protocol you are using? Thanks.

Scott

19. FatCity

FatCity Registered

thanks for answering but I got it working . Apparently , for some strange reason lol, you need to have the trackir plugin on in the game lol. Mine was off. So after I turned it on, I started up the facetrack program , it works!! just have to do some tweaking now.
    Thanks again anyway.

20. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

Thanks for replying back, and Great to hear you got it working! Yes, tweaking can sometimes be time consuming and requires a little patience, but the end result is well worth it.

Scott