Stereoscopic 3D vision thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigtabs, Jan 18, 2012.

1. dak61

dak61 Registered

Hi,
    I have done a little testing with tridef and a Samsung 950.

I used the rfactor 1 profile and was able to use virtual 3d. I only tested at Spa and it worked well except for distant mountains appearing in the foreground :(

I tried "real" 3d but the menu screens were corrupted (mainly black). I turned 3d off until I reached the race and then turned it back on and it worked well.

When I get time I will see if I can work out the issue in the profile so that menus work.

Edit: Got menus working
    working rfactor 2 tridef profile View attachment 941

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
  3. jaykinch

jaykinch Registered

the 1960 cars look real good in 3d

4. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Here's my experience with iZ3D:

Installed iZ3D yesterday, set it to anaglyph mode, running rFactor 2, and my screen went all black.

Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL to kill rF2 process.

Changed iZ3D setting to ATI 3D DLP, now I can see the menu, but the background is black, luckily the text still can be seen.

Click on RACE. And, oh my, the screen buffer is not cleared? Now I see the previous menu text on top of Track Loading page.

Entering the game (the garage screen), texts from previous screen (menu + track loading) are still there! Click on RACE.

On the track, fortunately all texts from previous screen are gone now. And I got two images overlapping, which means that iZ3D is working.

Too bad I don't have a 3D glasses. Would love to see rFactor 2 in 3D. Quit rFactor 2.

Uninstall iZ3D.

There.

5. Sankaracharya

Sankaracharya Registered

Can someone please clarify this to me. Apart from the software, do you need special 3d glasses? if so, what kind?
    Do I need to have a 3d monitor? I only have a normal digital flat panel 22 inch Samsung and a pair of glasses my son gave me from a 3d movie he went to see.

6. taufikp

taufikp Registered

I'm using a normal 2D monitor, a Samsung too. And yes you do need 3D glasses to play rFactor in stereoscopic mode.

There are 2 glasses that I'm familiar with, the anaglyph (you know, the one with red and blue color), and shutter glasses (the one that usually came with 3D TV).

If you have the 3D glasses already, you can try the 3D software mentioned in this thread: iZ3d and Tridef.

7. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

LIFESIZE 3D truly rocks!

I was able to run this way with my old projector (1024 x 768 @ 30Hz per eye) back in rF1 (with shutterglasses and the old Nvidia drivers). The big problem I faced back then was that the projectors internal color wheel "synched" in such a way with the image that it lent different colors to each eyeball. One saw "brown" while the other saw "yellow."

That said^, it was also truly immersive too--sitting inside the Williams FW07 in 3D was VERY different from sitting inside it in 2D--in 3D you suddenly felt yourself sitting UP...and could literally feel the sidepods down below and out to each side.

On the downside, it was also all too clear that most (if not all) of the close trackside images were modeled "flat"...in 2D. Guardrails being the particular culprit most close at hand (they are almost always modeled as flat walls and not as convoluted 3D objects).

-----

To my way of thinking, the whole idea behind 3D is to make you think you are really seeing what's in front of you as if you were there in real life--so it necessarily HAS to be seen, IMO, "lifesize." Either on a big screen monitor (TV) or via a large projected image...and an image where the FOV (Field of View) is within about 10% of what it would truly be if you were sitting in the car. Go much away from that and it will either feel like you are a midget (or a child) sitting inside your parents car...

...or a GIANT, driving a go-kart (or a large sized Radio Control-type car). It will feel anything BUT like it would if it were scaled properly to you (because of the 3D). You can get away with these effects in 2D (because the brain fills in the missing details)...but not so well in 3D, IMO.

I currently drive using a 2D HD resolution projector (@60Hz)...but I'm also keeping an eye out for a good 120Hz (HD) projector that'll let me run 3D. I think I will move over to something like that as soon as I can.

ViewSonic has a couple of lower resolution 3D models out even now that are very tempting, and not at all expensive either. Moreover, my nephew (who sees them regularly in grade-school) tells me they are very good. So I'm sitting here even now with a trigger finger pulled halfway already....

Last I saw, there was a 120 Hz HD model out there for about $3K (US). If the price were to drop by about another third, I think I would go for it. And then never look back.

CS

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2012
  8. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Hi Chris! Long time no see! :D

Have you visited our forum lately? Me and Bob (Bristow) still have some chat going on there :D

Nice to see you again CS.

Oh, by the way, do you have a photograph (or better, the video!) of your life size 3D? Wanna see it in action!

-TP-

9. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Hiya T!

Bristow? LOL...well of course he was our physics guru in the CSGT mods :) Please tell him "hello" for me when you next see him. :D

Good Grief! I've lost track of so many peeps this last year <hang head in shame>.

Any news where Norm Hart is concerned?

---

No video or pics at hand, but I might be able to cobble up some of the latter at some point. In my case the image is 60" wide horizontally, and about 40" from my eyeballs. The screen drops down right behind my wheelcase and the lower quadrants (sextants) both left and right drop down below to either side (so the horizon is right in front--the screen (just a piece of fabric) is cut out in the lower center so my legs can stick out past another two feet or so onto the pedals)).

CS

10. modmate

modmate Registered

Or you may take the Emitter Emulator wich is far more easy to handle. I use it for a verry long time now and got no problem ,even with the latest 295 beta drivers. Here is a little tut on it:
    ( And before someone claims its not legal, there are NO nvidia Files in the package!)

visonemitter.html

Greets Modmate

11. taufikp

taufikp Registered

What about Pulfrich 3D effect? Here's the description about it.

This seems to be the easiest "3D effect mod" to do and requires no software, only a sunglasses. I haven't try this though, since I don't have sunglasses at the moment. :D

12. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Rfactor looks great in 3D both 1 and now 2 with a good camera setup and small FOV (using 30 or less) and playing with the advanced Nvidia settings finding the right setting for convergence (pop out) and depths. On good modelled tracks you can see the curbs in openwheelers like you never did and with the right settings you can look down the straights and they seem endless in Spa 60 - I think a must have.
    Using emulator too - I have the 3DVison set from nvidia but they did not ship the needed DLP cable to Austria which you have to use on big TV/Beemer otherwise you get a big red warning message during gaming that the cable is not plugged in. So to get rid of that message I use the emulator and can use 1920x1080 with 60FPS (not the default 24P from nvidia) on my Samsung LCD TV with my Samsung glasses.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  13. modmate

modmate Registered

Hey,

Nice that someone else is using the emitter emulator. Would be great if you share your settings though.
    I just cannot find the real deal. In example monaco looks bad in 3d , but Spa looks fantastic.
    anyway, a screen of yozur settings would be much appreciated.

Greets Modmate

14. StereoGamer

StereoGamer Registered

Hi Gang,

I work on the 3D Vision team at NVIDIA. I wanted to pop in and clear a few things up.

- megane's speedometer has a white blank instead of black
    I've got a repro of this and will report it to the developer.

- some sun effects are in 2d while in cockpit view and have a different color
    Can you please post the track, car and time of day that I can use to repro this issue? It'll be a big help.

It was mentionned by NVIDIA that heat haze effect is not randered correctly in 3D
    This issues was mentioned in the memo notes based on alpha builds. ISI has since fixed this issue. It is fixed in the current beta release. The memo notes will be updated in future NVIDIA drivers.

It is currently rated to 'good' vs excellent for rF1 ...
    The "good" rating was based on Alphs build of the sim. I expect the rating to change as ISI gets closer to release.

All the best,

Joe

15. StereoGamer

StereoGamer Registered

One more thing,

We are aware of the issue with SLI and are working with the developer to resolve the issue.

Cheers,

Joe

16. Hazi

Hazi Registered

@ modmate: Sorry - only raced at Spa and I am just cranking up the depth ingame and adapting convergence ingame till it fits.

17. modmate

modmate Registered

True, thats a mess for sure. My settings take about 1-2 weeks and im still not happy on any track. But especially spa looks awesome right here. Just some sun effects needs editing to show as 3d.

Greets

18. bleco

bleco Registered

Hi Joe,

Thx for your update ;-)

Another weird effect on 3d is when you select the visor in Megane tuning options ... Hard to describe, definitely not correct ...

Thx!

Bleco

19. taufikp

taufikp Registered

What about Sony "Personal 3D Viewer" HMZ-T1? Has anyone here try it? TrackIR + Sony HMZ-T1 seems to be a perfect combo for racing/driving sim (or other first person games).

Here's the video of Sony HMZ-T1 and TrackIR.

20. vittorio

vittorio Registered

dak61, thanks alot for the rfactor 2 tridef profile!