Stereoscopic 3D vision thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigtabs, Jan 18, 2012.

1. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

As rFactor 2 uses a forward renderer, this game works very nicely with my stereo 3D setup with probably little or no thought on the part of ISI, and I hope that future graphical updates (official and mods) will take this method of viewing into account, and not break anything!

If you guys at ISI really haven't seen your game in 3D, take a look, it's great seeing your creations this way... really brings them to life.

For graphics devs and graphical effect mod makers, there's a nice pdf here by nVidia on the subject, though it applies just as much to alternative solutions. It goes into some mathmatical detail which most people won't need to know, but the basics are super important.

I don't expect to use every possible effect when I'm gaming in stereo, as some are seemingly difficult or hard to optimise for anything other than a post-process (which are notorious for breaking 3D), but it's a real shame when something basic (like smoke) dooesn't work properly and renders completely flat at screen depth.

Anyway, just thought I'd write this thread to encourage others to try this game out in 3D, and let the devs know not to break anything for their 3D users, or at least identify what does break 3D (we 3D fans will let you know about that, don't worry) and allow us the ability to disable those specific things.

I'd suggest people post any thing stereo 3D related in this thread to keep the forums organised. This place is a bit of a mess at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

rF2 has 3D support, we posted about that in the past. nVidia 3D vision being the primary method I think.

3. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

That's great. I haven't seen all the posts you guys have made. Good to know you have it in mind.

4. Anonim

Anonim Registered

rFactor 2 looks stunning in 3D Vision! I simply love it and 99 % of effects are working properly!
    I've already tested it a lot and would like to report the following:
    the good.
    - the framerate hit while in 3d is nearly 40 % and that means it's well implemented and optimized, at least at this beta stage!
    (as mentioned below, lets hope everything will be ok with all the next updates)
    - no stuttering issues at all.
    - all special effects are rendered correctly

the bad:
    - some sun effects are in 2d while in cockpit view and have a different color
    - megane's speedometer has a white blank instead of black

that's all for now. As you can see, nothing serious!
    I recommend playing this game in 3d simply because it adds a lot of immersion to the gameplay! It really feels like you are driving a car beeing there! :)

5. Heikki360

Heikki360 Registered

Where is the 3D enable option? I don't have nVidia 3D vision, but i have a 3DTV (Samsung UE46D8000) and i don't know how to enable Stereoscopic 3D:confused:

6. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

There is no 3D option in game.

There is something you could try here that has a free 14 day trial. From what I understand this has more options that the basic nVidia stereo driver, and I would guess it could do the side by side mode that your TV probably expects.

7. Anonim

Anonim Registered

I fear you can't enable it using your 3dTV... because Samsung UE46D8000 has no 3d Vision support by Nvidia as far as I know...
    BUT, you may try it using Tridef latest drivers and 3d glasses supported by your TV! you should do a google search for it :)

8. snail

snail Registered

9. gniewko

gniewko Registered

10. Heikki360

Heikki360 Registered

Ok, thanks, i don't understand why most of 3D games doesn't include a 3D Stereoscopic option WITHOUT nVidia 3D Vision, it makes no sense at all. I hope ISI includes it in the final version.

I've tried IZ3D a while ago, it's terrible :(

11. mmed

mmed Registered

Can confirm Nvidia 3DVision look stunning in this game.
    The only problem I seen so far is what Anonim mentioned in the 4th post of this thread.

12. Anonim

Anonim Registered

13. bleco

bleco Registered

It was mentionned by NVIDIA that heat haze effect is not randered correctly in 3D ... otherwise as it was already mentionned there is the Megane gear indicator that is not displayed correctly. It is currently rated to 'good' vs excellent for rF1 ...

Bleco

14. Anonim

Anonim Registered

keep in mind that a lot of games are rated as ''excellent'' while have a 2 steps depth only... in other words - small depth = small 3d effect (ex. Crysis 2).
    So the overall 3d vision Rating often means nothing to me.

15. Matt Bradley

Matt Bradley Registered

tried IZ3D with anaglyph 3d (after tweaking) looks great but anything red goes a greeny goldy cooler (car paint, rf2 logo, etc) and the menu's go black with only the words showing so that means you cant select different series and stuff.
    any one else got these problems or is it just me?

16. vilivili

vilivili Registered

+1

17. bleco

bleco Registered

I presume NVIDIA rates the games based on 3D image quality and not depth amount possibility ... I would personally prefer quality over quantity, for me 3D image bugs kills the immersion at some point.

Bleco

18. Ball Bearing Turbo

Ball Bearing Turbo Registered

Only in one eye - one eye is white on black, the other eye is white on white so you can still see it but it's funny looking :p

It's best to do what ISI seems to be doing, and just letting nVidia's drivers do their thing instead of "trying" to support 3D... as long as short-cut rendering methods are not abused, the drivers do the magic all by themselves (think about it - the math is all on the card, the drivers just use an algorithm to render a separate view for each eye. As long as everything is "placed" properly in 3D space, there is no real problems)

Looks great, but I have to make sure to disable the 3D vision, THEN disable SLI, and then re-enable 3d vision or the performance drops to single digit FPS.

Also the sun glare seems to create some wierd anomaly sometimes, I can't explain it maybe I'll upload a JPS if I get the chance. It's like a rainbow & black colored conical artifact to do with the geometry of the sun glare.

19. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

What are the others? There can be very few games that do what Crysis 2 does with regard to 3D. nVidia ratings can't always be trusted, but I wouldn't say that a lot of games suffer from a fixed low depth. The overwhelming majority of games allow both depth and convergence to be manually adjusted.

The issue with Crysis 2 uses a deferred renderer which doesn't play nicely with the 3D stereo driver hacks nVidia use to get forward rendered games to work. Crytek chose to make a cheap 3D effect using a clever algorithm that reconstructs the scene using the depth of each pixel, which they've saved as part of the deferred rendering process. Trouble is there are a bunch of pixels that are missing that you need because you're rendering from 2 different views. The further apart these 2 views are the more pixels will be missing. The distance of these 2 views is called separation, which is what we change to strengthen the 3D effect. Crytek fakes these missing pixels using information from their neighbours, which obviously looks not that great, but it looks really bad if the separation is high - which is why it isn't.

I don't actually know of any other games on the market that do 3D this way. Very few even suffer from having fixed convergence or depth. So when you say a lot of games do this, my interest is piqued. Please mention the ones you know of, because I disagree with your assessment of the situation, but am happy to be shown to be wrong.

If rF2 gets an 'Excellent' or '3DVision ready' label, I can be pretty sure it's going to look stunning in 3D.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
  20. snail

snail Registered

That's a normal effect because of the coloured lenses. If you want unaffected game colours then you have to use shutter glasses (and a high monitor refresh rate) or polarised glasses.
    If you can accept the colour distortion though Anaglyph is a cheap way of achieving 3D