Very disappointed, even for a Beta.......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Guys, I have waited for years for this, playing racing games for 20 years now and was there for RF1 from the beginning.
    Now I finally use RF2 and it is nothing but a disappointment........
    I admit, I don't really meet the advised specs, but come close; Intel E8200 @ 3.2 Ghz with an XFX 260 GTX oc and 4 Gb 800Mhz ram (with 3.4 used due to windows) so it should run on lower specs isn't it?

Now, the F1 '60 mod runs "okay" on Monaco, got 60 fps (topped with v-sync) but the Renault Megane on Mills......really; I want to cry! It runs 60 fps too and without v-sync I get al lot higher, but whatever I do; without reducing the fps rate, the circuit shocks so much, it isn't drivable. The track makes "jumps" for meters, just stutters so much that I miss parts of the circuit.

Now I know that this is a Beta and I fully understand what Beta means, but this shouldn't be the case right?
    The game ran very well (RF1) and it looks like there is very much the same in terms of running (engine?)

It's not the fps, and nothing is running in the background.....have to say; that is how it looks like, then the same happens.

Now for the positive; I think it's fun that I (with some mayor driving hours :) ) can't just get in the car and drive off; especially the F1 mod is very hard and there is a challenge. Nicely done!

Then one more thing; I believe a Beta is there to get feedback from the players and I noticed several things; how can I report that?

Greets, Wim.

2. autodieb

autodieb Registered

I'd say your "very dissapointing", less than mediocre, machine doesn't run the, quite good, beta very well.

And saying that a simulator that's intendend to be on the marked for well over 5 years doesn't run well on a current PC is pathetic.
    How will machine 4 years down the road be able to run rF2? I'd like to actually see.

3. slawek

slawek Registered

Have you tried the fix evry body are talking about this on this forum?

In player.PLR file change the following:

Flush Previous Frame="0"

to

Flush Previous Frame="1"

4. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

dont be silly mate...theres enough evidence on these forums to say its more the beta than his machine causing the issues...but it is a beta at the end of the day so it will improve

5. slawek

slawek Registered

I am running this game on AMD x2 3800 and GT 8600 and I have about 80 FPS in Megane on Mills without any stutters with 20 other cars on track. Texture details on Full and the rest on low.

6. Holzvergaser

Holzvergaser Registered

from what it looks to me your 800mhz ram can not eat down all the data as fast as it is feeded to ram, also probably buses on comparable old mainboard will be filled to the brim.

so go fix your ancient ram and you may get some fluid expirience, the card should work and everything but just the loading of textures/data is a problem.
    you tried setting textures and stuff that needs to be loaded while driving to minimum?

7. slawek

slawek Registered

I Have old DDR 200MHZ and no problem at all.

8. mianiak

mianiak Registered

4 Gb 800Mhz ram (with 3.4 used due to windows), that leaves you with 600mb of ram to run rf2. I'd suggest that you close down some windows apps.

9. Crankee Stroka

Crankee Stroka Registered

With the utmost respect old mate your machine is almost kaputski.
    Can you try it on a friends 64bit big ram system perhaps?
    Certainly the beta has issues but you can still get it cracking.
    Feel free to comment on my use of a joystick with hotrod PC to drive rF2.. > o.0 <
    Fair is fair lol. Old habits die hard hey.

10. Holzvergaser

Holzvergaser Registered

wut? you hacked RF2 to run on win95 or something?

EDIT:

now i see you wrote 3.4 of 4 gig are used by windows? what have you running in the background? you use XP i guess and my old XP install did not need more then about 300mb of ram when on desktop, left me with 1700mb roughly of the 2gig i had at the time.

maybe when you close doen all the resource bogs in the background you game could run totaly different.

11. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Removed response after seeing your edit :) Was about to go you :)

But Mianic has it. If he has 3.4GB being used by windows....get that checked out first.

12. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Well in theory, rF2 physics and graphics engine hasn't changed that much. At least graphics engine. In ideal situation, we should be able to run rF2 close to same performance as rF1 with similar graphics settings. I know that new physics take extra CPU, and that is acceptable because this is a simulation. But graphics engine hasn't changed, there is only new bolt-on features. So you should be able to turn those features off and get close to rF1 performance. But by judging from the beta, it is not possible. Considering that this game is optimized only for DX9, it should help too. But well, I see what happens and which direction this game goes.

13. TheAngryGimp

TheAngryGimp Registered

I don't think that made much sense. If you have a 32bit version of windows that has a memory address limit, that doesn't "leave" you with 600MB of ram for rfactor.
    If you meant that windows itself is using that much ram, windows is designed to keep a number of things going until you start to really use your system, then it will switch out data not being used for data a currently running program needs to keep using. That shouldn't take up THAT much ram though.
    I can't think of any reason windows should use that much ram at all the time unless you have a TON running in the background. I idle at about 1.3GB of ram in use of my 4 at any given time, and that's with antivirus, spyware blockers, steam, firefox, and a couple other small apps. If your task manager says that nearly 75%-100% of your ram is used up regularly, then you should do a complete system scan for viruses/malware right away (I suggest Malwarebytes), and then go from there to see what you might stop from running to free up ram.

14. Andrew McP

Andrew McP Registered

That's not really true. I'm lucky enough to have a 2500k system which I use for sims, but all my other gaming is done on a machine very similar to his, without any compromises. Until earlier this year it was also my main sim machine and everything from iRacing to rFactor ran well with three screens and few compromises.

Mind you, I wouldn't want to try running CARS on it. :) Or rF2, unless I had to; you need to run with high details or it's a pretty retro experience. Anyway, all I'm saying is that the Core2Duo generation is still very powerful, and the 260GTX is no slouch, especially for just a single screen. So i think a little disappointment is ok.

I do feel sorry Slawek though. I had a x2 3800 before I got an E6600 and the difference was far greater than I expected, even before I started overclocking the Intel CPU (both ran at 2.2GHz).

15. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Perhaps he did mean 32bit memory address barrier? So he probably has 4GB of ram and Windows sees only 3.4GB because his Windows is 32bit version?

Who Remembers TDU beta? One that deleted everything from C:\ (root, not C: the drive), when you did uninstalled the beta?

I remember there being quite lot of problem reports and especially very poor performance on some system combos, they still decided it was fairly good to go golden without most severe issues fixed, so they had beta, then they wrapped it to gold wrappings and sold as ready product, promising fixes to issues some later time, can't remember if it was 6 months or so after starting sales that first patch did came and can't remember if it fixed the issues. That is even quite normal policy.

Now that we can really compare at all, we must wait until beta ends from rF2 of course, but for me it looks like that ISI is taking bit better care from quality of their product.

Anyway, performance issues are quite normal in Beta, also one must remember that there are more in car sims that meets the eye, there are lot of number crunching going on at background, so that we get that authentic driving experience which has always been one of big reasons why we use sims and not games.

Without knowing what is planned to be on finished product, what things are about to change, I can't be disappointed or jumping to roof from joy, I can only observe, make notes and see if those are already known, if not then I report such.

If I would know that all features are now here and performance will be this, then I would be disappointed, however I have read from developers that there are lot of features missing and many are not working yet as they should, so not much to make opinion direction or another, all I can do is try to help developers to know of these issues.

My system is much weaker than original poster's (I think at least, not so good fps at least), don't mock too much of that hardware, it is good workhorse, of course mine is meeting only minimum criteria, recommended being bit faster, surely with top of the line hardware of today one would get much better performance, but some of us have house loans, 5 cats, several real cars and so on asking money all the time, so no chance to upgrade. Of course expectations should be realistic too, I don't except to run 20+ cars at full details and burn everything white mode on being running perfectly smooth, but some track + car combos are probably going to be useful at least without opponents.

When Vista came about here computer sellers started to sell it with computers that had 512MB of ram, those expectations again, not quite par with reality ;)

16. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Guys... He means he's on a 32 bit OS so it cannot address 4GB. a 32 bit OS will normally only be able to use between 3-4GB maximum, depending on some things. For him, his 32 bit OS can only address 3.4GB of RAM. He is not saying he is actually using up 3.4GB of RAM in apps.

As for the stuttering, it's a beta, and this is why the beta exists. Without doubt it will be fixed in time thanks to the feedback they are getting, so no need to say ISI have let you down just yet :)

Try the PLR fix and the render ahead frame 1 fix, too for now, might solve it. Your specs seem OK to me to be honest, as long as you use medium or high textures.

17. autodieb

autodieb Registered

Model: FSC Esprimo
    CPU: Core2Duo 2.2GHz
    Motherboard: FSC Board
    Memory: 2GB
    Video: nVidia Geforce 88xx 1GB
    Audio: onboard Realtek
    Internet Connection: Kabel Deutschland 100MBit/s
    Controller: G27, cheap joystick handbrake, Fiat Punto seat

You don't see me complaining about graphical performance though. It's knowing what to expect from a beta and a ****e system.
    Online, i have to turn everything down. But for testing everything else other than graphics, that's just fine.

18. autodieb

autodieb Registered

And graphics is one of the easiest things to optimise. You ever tried bug fixing a physics engine?!

19. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Sorry guys, I meant that windows is only "giving" me 3,4Gb of the 4 there are because I run 32bit. So all the ram is going to the game and it "takes" 1.5 gb I checked.
    For those of you that assault my pc (you're right) and especially "Autodieb"; you could have put it another way; my machine is not the newest, but not the crap you are describing. It meets the minimum AND the recommended specs(!!) and if the game uses more; they should say so. When meeting the recommended specs and ALL is super low; it should run like a charm when doing 240+ fps in my opinion. So (autodieb) it is NOT the performance but skipping meters of the track that makes you not able to play the game, IS disappointing.......
    If the ram is too slow with 800Mhz, that should be a spec too, right?
    So please don't treat me like I am just here for a game I just installed and try too distroy; I am a big fan of the game and like to see it succeed!

Al others, thanks for the tips; I am studying them all right now and will tell how and if I got it all right.

@ Autodieb; I don't understand what you mean by "And saying that a simulator that's intendend to be on the marked for well over 5 years doesn't run well on a current PC is pathetic."
    You seem to mean that the finished RF2 will be done in 5 years? If given out now with the specs ISI suggested; it should run right?
    Or must I now buy a pc with the specs from 2017?

But please answer normal; I am not here too talk trash about the game and I understand you are a big fan, but so are we ALL!
    You don't have to take everyone down who has an issue. And for me, this is a very disappointing issue.......

20. ROEDxTzaca

ROEDxTzaca Registered

I'm pretty much in the same situation as Navigator. My disappointment is that every developer is doing the same thing, with every new game. Forcing the "old" specs computers to get ditched , by not optimizing their bloody game, to be run smooth, at the lowest settings possible. This is a big pile of S**T , graphics are looking worst than a 10 years old game(on lowest settings), and still is running like crap. And yes, I applied all the "fix". Well, I will not upgrade my kaputski rig, for a beta game. It doesn't worth .