A possible problem with simple editing of RF2 files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

i'm not very technical so i'm not entirely sure what to make of this so here's a potentialy silly question:

My league has the habbit of tweaking a mod to our needs, usualy same pitspeeds for all tracks, pre-heated tires, allow for suspension repairs and re-fueling in classic cars, that kinda stuff.
    in rf1 this would be a single zip for members to install.

I understand this is no longer the same routine but we can no longer update a mod but have to re-pack the entire mod and give it a new ID?
    Instead of -what i asumed innitialy- just ID the update-zip?

Cheers

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Denstjiro,

If I understanded correctly, only original author of the mod can do those changes.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Thx Johannes,

Even if we would submit the entire mod including our own files?
    (as per usual routine where leagues use tweaked mods for league-only use and don't distribute it outside their league),

4. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

No, you'd have to make a virtual mod referencing the car and track components you're going to use. You can include existing components and change the files you need changed, and only pack those as a single rfmod. You'll need a modID for it to work online, but that's not a problem. Then just get that rfmod to everyone in the league and presto.

5. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

With the menu system as it is and 50 or so mods... Very big mess. However the menu system is modular, and I have 0 doubt that modders will come up with a more user friendly one for managing more information. Even an rF1 style menu works quite well with 50 mods (my old one had 89 in it's heyday).

6. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Registered

OK, as long as we can make changes and still run it offline I have no problems with this. I rarely participate online, though I sympathize with those who do and are having to struggle with this initially.

But it's not clear: if racing offline and not wanting to use developer mode, can you still package up an edited mod and will rF2 accept it? Or do you still need a mod ID?

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The problem lies in the ability to use 3rd party add ons for mods, as it currently is this is deemed redundant due to the nature of the new packaging system, before this Sim goes full release it needs a fresh look at what constitutes a mod and what little things can be added on separately without the need of a new mod package.
    That's what betas are all about, finding problems just like this and trying to amend them.

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Well i find it confusing. a member in our league just installed an addon without ID to bring the tire sounds back in the 60's F2 & F3 (which where missing)
    He tested it on our server and he has no issues racing online with it.

Not sure if i should post the file up but here's the readme for the tech guys to see what they actualy did:

9. Kevin Brigden

Kevin Brigden Registered

I too like to tinker, particular with sound and track cams. However, I still think that the way ISI have gone with the new mod packaging is a better way to do it. It makes much more sense to make the lives of the vast majority easier at the expense of annoying a very small minority of tinkerers. It's a shame but it is logical I'm afraid.

10. MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse Registered

Agreed. I also like to tinker with cameras, sounds, physics and damage, but this system makes it way too difficult. Simply changing a camera or sound requires a whole new mod and breaks online usage. There needs to be some kind of mod-modding system put in place.

11. Rogenator

Rogenator Registered

Meganes

Hi All just wondering if running the renaualts at montecarlo is ok. I copy and paste Monaco to
    all trks and vehicles and now driveing Meganes at Maonaco!!! Whhhhoo. (no stutter)

Missmatch on line hmm dont seem to run anything online.

Rogenator

12. MJP

MJP Registered

Yay it works!! previously I had tried editing the SFX files and that deffo didn't work, hell rF2 even removed the mod from modmanager lol.

Just tried copying the F1 skid files and renamed them as per the non-exsistent F2/3 skid files and joined a server, seems ok.

13. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

Yea right now the focus is on getting the process of creating, installing and distributing a functional package that will be used by most people online as it was intended by the mod creators.

We will need a method for marking parts of a mod as changeable but not effecting the integrity of it allowing for cheats online.

Building these types of enhancements only makes sense once the base system is really solid.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

And that is the exact response I was hoping for, thanks Gjon good to know its at least in your thoughts. I do believe this packaging system is better and overtime with those improvements it can become great, looking forward too it!

15. Rogenator

Rogenator Registered

Great Start

Hello Gjon: I love the Beta.!!! Sim runs on win32xp amd athalon64x2 mobo is msi 2.8 5600 with 9800gtx+ gpu sblive.

I have to run it at med and new bells and whistles off. The up side is I have a total working beta, no
    stutters. Frame rates are 40 and up running HRD on any trk any car!! vsync off over 100fps w/on 40
    plus to 60+fps Crowd and wind effects seem to be on all the time. In game toggle wont turn em off.

Thank You Rogenator

16. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

sign