All Thrustmaster T500 rs owners come to this thread!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by fedexpress, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

There are 5 different brake pressure settings that the stock t500rs pedals come with, whats everyone using?

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

3. Duvel

Duvel Registered

the strongest

4. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

I removed the spring from the urethane pad, added another pad and it's perfect now. My brake bedal is so stiff that I can just about push it fully when I use all the force I have in my foot. Feels great, and no loose feeling in the beginning of travel.

5. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I kept it on default without the pad/spring for now. Moving the pad a millimeter change too much the feeling, look nearly random. I must try again as default is too soft IMO.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Interesting. What do you guys think about the feel of the stiff pedal upgrade relative to using the brake without it, but still on it's longest/hardest setting (I believe default is in medium throw/medium strength)?

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I installed the stiffer pedal brake mod right away so I have no comparison. But I had a load cell brake before the T500 and these are every bit as good. Very progressive, very predictable and reliable. It's one of the big surprises for me. I saw the price of the T500 and balked when I found out it has no load cell for such a price. I read really good reviews and found a great deal on the wheel and got it. We don't need no stinking load cell!

8. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Well... I kindly disagree :p
    As long as I really like T500RS pedals (especially its brake pedal with the mod), I will never say it can be as good as a properly implemented load cell*... even when you set T500RS brake pedal to a very exponential characteristic (so that the whole thing reacts in a more force-sensitive manner).

* I mean, if you sit on a desk chair and move back every time when pushing G25 brake pedal... load cell won't "work" then (that's my personal opinion).
    But when you secure your chair against whatever your pedals are mounted to, so you can push the pedal really hard and you and pedal box stay in place, THEN have load cell sensitivity set to something like max. 40-50kg pedal force and you will notice, how natural braking becomes. Now, trailbraking is much easier (and natural) - when you want to brake just "a bit" on corner entry, it requires small force application and braking hard requires to push the brake pedal. I have Fanatec CSP v2 but just because I had a chance to buy them really cheap, but every pedal box with good quality load cell, capable of handling pedal force of 40-50kg-f will do.

By the way, if some of you are not happy about how big default T500RS case is, soon (until the end of this year) I will have a solution for y'all... and the solution will probably be all aluminium and like 210x90x220mm so go figure :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
  9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Csp v1 can do 40-50 kg stock??? You sure you didn't mean pounds?

$900 CST F1 version pedals (overrated/over priced in my opinion, FREX and ARC pedals destroy CST), come with 35 kg max, the $150 John Bodin T500RS load cell upgrade/add-on is 35kg max, the clubsport are 45ish kg? Are you sure?

10. Marek Lesniak

No, as I said in my post, I have v2 and the fact it can take 40-50kg or even more, was the main reason I decided to by it (with CSP v1 I was testing some time ago, I could max it with my hand, even at sensitivity set to minimum...).
    I think, it can handle more than that. The only test I did, is I put a kitchen scale against my room's wall, sit on my racing seat (locked in place) and checked by feel, how much is that ~50kg of leg force and then tried to push as hard as then against CSP brake pedal and it can easily handle more than that.
    Not only that, I have lenghten its pedal arms to be something like racing pedal boxes have (AP Racing, for example), so the leverage is higher than on default CSP v2.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Oh sorry I'm not quite understanding you. So the CSPV2 can handle 40-50 kg of pressure, but the stock springs/loadcell max out much before that? Or can the stock brake pedal, in it's stiffest settings, actually be setup so that you need 40-50 kg of pressure to get max in-game braking?

12. Marek Lesniak

I didn't do any in-depth tests but I think stock CSP v2 can handle 60kg or more of pedal force. What I mean by that, is at its load cell lowest sensitivity, I think you have to push 60kg-f on brake pedal to hit 100%... but I have to check it in a more precise way, than I did before.

My modifications are about lenghts of pedal arms. I have made them longer, to match pedal boxes beeing used in real world racing. So, after that modification, when I push the same force against brake pedal, load cell will "see" higher force due to now higher ratio than before the modification.

Will check my current sensitivity setting, for which I think I push 40-50kg-f max.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Wow!!! I never had any idea the CSPV2 could be set up, in stock configuration, for 40-50Kg of braking force, let alone 60Kg!!

The stock T500RS's 5 positions are (Thrustmaster lists these amounts as "around"):

- 7Kg (15.4lbs) - Short travel
    - 8.5Kg (18.7lbs) - Medium travel
    - 10Kg (22lbs) - Long travel
    - 14Kg (30.8lbs) - Long travel - "Realistic Brake" mod - Upper wall position
    - 16Kg (35.2lbs) - Long travel - "Realistic Brake" mod - Lower wall position

Then there's 35Kg for both the $150 John Bodin T500RS brake pedal loadcell add-on, and the F1 edition $800-ish CST pedals (non F1 edition is I believe less than 30kg).

This is why I am so surprised that the CSPV2s can do even 40-50Kg, let alone 60Kg. You may have convinced me to forget about the John Bodin loadcell mod and just buy a set of Fanatec CSPv2 pedals, hmmmmmmmm.

I heard the CSP loadcell is weak and cheap and needs replacing often when using the brakes at very stiff/resistive settings, is this true? Have you had any issues?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
  14. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

TM released new drivers yesterday.

15. Marek Lesniak

16. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

If you get the CSP's, remember- Fanatec customer support is part of the package. With their poor build quality YOU WILL need the customer support sooner or later too. A lot of people get sucked in by the snazzy advertising they have out there, but the fact is, the company has a very poor track record for reliability and cust support. Some people get lucky, but the more you read around various forums, the more you should be wary.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya they are really tempting, I'm stuck between the John bodin load cell mod for t500rs pedals or clubsport v2 pedals. I wish there was a simple choice. Can the spiking issues with the clubsports be fixed? Is it a pot/sensor issue?