Under-use of PC ressources

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caterkiller, Jan 12, 2012.

1. caterkiller

caterkiller Registered

Hi, I'm using two screens so I could keep an eye on CPU and GPU utilisation during racing.
    I'm really suprised to see that CPU is only used at 30-40%, and GPU at 40-60%.

My question is simple : why :confused: ??? With those settings I can achieve only 50-60FPS but I've almost all settings to medium, wich means if CPU and GPU where running at 100% I think I can reach more than 60FPS rock stable with everything at full details !

Do someone of ISI have an explanation ? Why isn't it running at full speed ?

I have a Core i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz (stock), 8GB RAM, MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II using latest Catalyst and Windows 7 x64 Home.

2. NightnDay

NightnDay Registered

nobody knows that ;)

3. caterkiller

caterkiller Registered

Well, I think ISI know... or should :)

4. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Why does everyone assume that a sim (or game) must use all their resources.

It uses exactly how much it needs. No more or less :)

You also have to remember this is a beta. It's far from finished and has yet to be optimized ;)

5. furiousgibbon

furiousgibbon Registered

because that's how computers work. If the code doesn't have any artificial throttle (such as forced vsync or unintentional delays) then you'll typically see either CPU or GPU get maxed out. From what I've read so far try lowering the number of concurrent sound effects, and have a look at the wheel driver thread there was something about outdated controller drivers causing issues.

I tested mine last night, CPU is between 20-40% across all 4 cores (QX9650 @ 3.6GHz), GPU is at around 97% (5850 running 5300x1050), so no issues here. Most people should be seeing their GPU max out on most modern games, unless they have a really underpowered CPU.

6. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Yes, but it all depends on your settings and how well the application is optimized.

He said everything was on medium. No reason for all his resources to be at max at medium settings.

If his system can run the game at medium quite easily, there's no reason his GPU should be maxed.

Like I said, the game will use the resources it needs to run at the settings it's told to :)

7. caterkiller

caterkiller Registered

buddhatree, I would be agree with you if my CPU and GPU utilisation wasn't almost the same at full details... but at full details it only runs at 30-40fps, sometime less, and CPU/GPU are not used at 100%, by far !

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  8. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I have to say the exact same thing, running an I5 2500K @3.5ghz 8gb ram, gtx570, and a 27" screen
    and no way to go over 63fps, with some restrictions to "sun occlusion and track reflections"...
    it's far to be "normal" ... I never heard any of our drivers that they had more than 60fps... insane!!
    therefore the game is fluid with no lag!
    strange!!
    and the question is, why the game doesn't use the ressources of the pc at their max?

9. gregor vodicar

gregor vodicar Registered

same problem here. Cpu only at around 60% and gpu at 50. I have around 90fps, but game does not run so smooth like rf1 (400fps+)

And my settings are set do medium to high..

Also i can run f1 2011 on ful set and it goes smoother than rf2.

Lot of peoples have isues with that and they dont't have such poor computer. I think there is something wrong with code and should be repaird asap! Because some of them already request refund...

Mx comp config

4core amd 3,4Ghz
    8G ram
    Ati HD6870

10. matt2380

matt2380 Registered

Same here.

2500k, 6970, 8gb ddr3, W7 64bit, 1920x1200, G27, latest drivers.

Struggling a little bit with fps despite only 20% cpu usage and 60% gpu usage.

Love the beta though. :)

11. furiousgibbon

furiousgibbon Registered

A computer doesn't know when it is running a game 'well'. It executes code as fast as it can, unless it's held back by something like vsync or a wait in the code. If the GPU isn't maxed out on medium settings, the CPU will be. Why would the computer decide 'no, someone on a forum once told me 30fps is all the human eye can see, why would i bother rendering any more frames?'

I couldn't begin to comprehend the complexity of the rfactor2 code, but to have CPU and GPU sit at partial utilisation suggests there is a hardware bottleneck elsewhere (where? memory? sound?) or an issue with the game itself.

12. ajk

ajk Registered

Symptoms: Low CPU and GPU usage, poor frame rate and in some cases choppiness despite solid FPS. Most underperforming CPU's are typically quadcores running at low clock speeds.

Causes gamer to loose nerves, try extreme tricks to boost performance, whine at developers on forums and threaten with refund but still end up spending hundreds of dollars in new hardware just to get the game run maxed out.

Diagnosis: Armed Assault II syndrome

CPU heavy, poorly optimized code but main reason is that code only uses up to two cores. 2 cores @ 100% = 50% overall usage on quadcores, anything over that is from OS and background apps. CPU is a bottleneck and hence GPU is only at 50% or so because CPU cannot through stuff at GPU fast enough.

Check CPU usage in each core and you will see two cores maxed out. In worse situation code is not distributed evenly on cores the whole system is mostly waiting the one overworking core to complete it's tasks.

Cure: Introduce lighter, more optimized code for CPU. Expand to utilize more cores for more efficient usage of CPU.

Probability of cure: Only one previously known case. Remained uncured but survived.

How to alleviate symptoms:

A) More more more mhz to CPU. Buy new processor with as much mhz as possible or overclock as much as you can.
    B) Hypethreading may or may not help
    C) Lower details

That's it. Hope for the best.

Dr. ajk

EDIT: Do not spend money on new graphics card until you have reached close to 100% GPU usage in most situations. You just end up having ever lower GPU utilization %. Buy mhz.