Triple Screen racers check in!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gov, Jan 12, 2012.

1. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

I am running on 42" monitors so when the AA doesn't work it is very apparent and it feels like my eyes are trying to focus. No problems on other games - so long as AA works.

2. Gov

Gov Registered

haven't played Dirt 3 yet on my rig, but iRacing is king as far as triple screen performance for me. I am running everything maxed and I get 150-200 most of the time even with 40 cars on the track. It is very efficient and looks damn good in my opinion. Sure it doesn't have the fancy DX11 effects, but it doesn't need it in my opinion.

3. NitroStar

NitroStar Registered

This is true. iRacing does look good too. Dirt 3 is so smooth, I get a little queezy on the stomach from all the extremely fast movement! LOL And we have similar setups except our processors.

P.S. Still wish somebody would give a hint as to how to turn off the exhaust heat haze simulations. Got to save some fps and I wouldn't miss it cause it looks cheesy as of right now on my system.

4. Gov

Gov Registered

ya the exhaust looks pretty dumb. It is one thing when the cars are sitting at a stand still on the grid, but once they take off it should go away. I have been racing in real life for a few years and I can't say I have ever witnesses something like this on the track.

5. MidNite

MidNite Registered

6. griever

griever Registered

Another triple screen user here. Performance is horrible at the moment, really need some optimization. Also AA needs to be addressed ASAP, no matter what setting I use there are jaggies everywhere, further down the road is the worst.

AMD 965BE 3.4 quad
    4gb DDR3
    ATI 6870

6016x1080 res

Circuit, textures - full
    both cars - high
    med shadows
    no shadow blur, hdr, enviroment reflection
    Max cars - 10

Testing at Spa with the classic F1 cars, on the grid I get 10-20 FPS. Driving in traffic around the track is usually 20-30 or less. If I'm alone, maybe 40-50 in spots without a lot of buildings or details.

I get 50-100+ with iRacing on my triple screens pretty much maxed out and it looks way better (probably because of the massive AA issue).

7. D34N0

D34N0 Registered

Yep Eyefinity triple screen here too. Wouldn't play a racing game without 3 screen support now.

I've found the beta doesn't run too bad (it's playable) on my setup but I have to turn a few things down from full to medium to prevent it from getting to choppy.

I agree the AA needs some work.

I'll be getting a 7970 as soon as they're released here so that should fix my frame rate issues

Model: Home Built
    CPU: Core i7 - 2600K
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z67 B3 Pro
    Memory: 8GB Patriot Viper2-Sector5 DDR3
    Video: ATI 5850 @ 6040 x 1080 Eyefinity
    Audio: onboard Realtek 5.1
    Internet Connection: Internode ADSL 830 KB/s Down
    PSU: Lian Li 750W PSU
    Display: 3 x 23" 1920 x 1080 LCD's
    Controller: Logitech G27, G15, G9
    Speakers: Logitech Z5500
    Headphones: Tritton AX Pro 5.1

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  8. Tomy

Tomy Registered

Triple screen too! ;)

3x HP ZR24w

9. NitroStar

NitroStar Registered

How is your rig running rF2 :confused:

10. Gaboss

Gaboss Registered

Hey Guys,
    I have posted in a couple of other threads regarding this issue but thought i'd share my specs for the Nvidia users. After investing in my new set up late last year (In prep for RF2), it just doesn't make sense to go back to 1 Screen to play RF2 when other sims give me huge FPS with almost everything Maxed out.

I get great performance on the following Racing Sims:
    iracing - 150-200fps
    Dirt 3 - 100-120fps
    F1 2011 - 100-120fps

My System Specs are:
    Model: HomeBuilt
    Monitors: 3 x 27'' ASUS LED
    CPU: Intel i7 3930K @ 4.4ghz
    GPU: 2 x GTX590 - NVIDIA
    Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-X79-UD3
    Case: Coolermaster HAF-X

So running RF2 with my system in SLI, I can only get between 10-30fps. If I turn everything down to LOW or OFF it can barely hold 60fps, which at least lets me feel the physics (Which are Awesome) - but when everything is that Low even the Groves on the tires in the Classics are gone :(

Good work starting this thread - I know we are only at Beta Stage, but it would be awesome to do more testing with 3 screens enabled and be able to enjoy the hard work that the ISI guys have put into those Classic Tracks. Im sure this will get sorted.

11. griever

griever Registered

This!! It looks really bad right now, the effect is at like 2fps and really choppy on the grid, and when you get up to speed everybody just looks blurry because of it. We need an option to turn it off.

I saw Dirt 3 mentioned, I can also run that pretty well on 3 screens and it looks amazing. It drives like crap but it looks good! And that is a console based game... I hope we don't have another Cliffs of Dover epic optimization problem with rF2. It is still beta and has a lot of kinks to work out so I'm hopeful ISI will optimize it for triple and single screen users sooner rather than later.

12. NitroStar

NitroStar Registered

This is very much what I would like an answer to ;). I would LOVE to see this disabled.

13. Andrew McP

Andrew McP Registered

2500k@4.2, 5870@5080x1050

I fairly soon decided to run at 38**x800 with everything turned up to full and no FSAA (or just level 1, though I'm not sure it works). At 5040x1050 I was having to turn things down too much and... well, if you turn much off it's like racing in 2006. :)

Even when running at 1680x1050 (max detail, no FSAA) FPS didn't seem to go higher than 55 or so. But driving with one screen is like driving with one eye shut, dark sunglasses on... you just feel claustrophobic! So I ditched that very quickly. It reminded me that although I love lapping the Ring in GT5 (an example of how good "old" graphics tech can be), being restricted to one screen eventually killed the experience for me.

Whatever the problems we have (or make for ourselves!) with PC sims, it is truly amazing that we can have access to three screen gaming for relatively little money now. My 3 screens + 5870 cost me less than my first 17" CRT!

14. saboteur

saboteur Registered

15. idiot_intraining

idiot_intraining Registered

WHY softTH... ew.... my center monitor is slightly wider.. i'm ok.. (well not mentally:)

16. flitzi

flitzi Registered

Using Eyefinity here. Have to turn everything down and would still like to have more fps...

the problem is not triple screen (as there isn't something special to using triple screens in rF2 right now other than a high resolution) it just is overall performance. SLI is not working at all(15fps) for my brother, luckily he hasn't got triple screens so it's not a big issue for him.

I think they need to optimize some things or let us turn more things off! Anyone found some performance gains editing the plr file?
    Aliasing looks horrible, even on highest in-game setting.

17. chopper1025x

chopper1025x Registered

It was like going back in time. It was 5-6 years ago I was playing GPL and racing in the UKGPL league. I was wishing for even more detail, better physics, faster frame rates, better internet speed, and more talent. I now have a triple screen system a fast P.C and good hardware.
    Last night I sat down with Rfactor 2 1960’s and it had happened! I sat down, glass of wine set the AI low at 75% and just had a blast for the rest of the night. Gradually increasing the AI over the evening as I re-learnt the track. Even the breaking points and use of the kerbs all came back after a while from the GPL days.
    Well done so far and look forward to a PCC mod like Rfactor1 had.
    Chopper1025x
    3x 24" monitors
    Velocity Xtreme
    AMD FX 6100 14MB (6 Cores) Black Edition Socket AM3+ Processor
    Xigmatek Scorpion HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler
    Radeon HD6970 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card
    16GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz C9 Dual Channel Memory Kit
    Asus M5A99X EVO AMD 990X (Socket AM3+) Motherboard
    Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 7K1000.C 32MB Cache SATA II Hard Disk Drive DVD-RW 22x

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  18. samuelkorthof

samuelkorthof Registered

What are your ingame display settings? What are your FPS and do you experience juttering lag or anything like that? I´ve got almost identical setup and I haven´t tested triplehead at this moment.

19. Tiago Guerreiro

Tiago Guerreiro Registered

I know ISI dont have triple screens optimization in the priority list but they need to think fast about this question, RF2 needs to have a better handling with triple screen render and optimization ffor dual card GPU.

20. chopper1025x

chopper1025x Registered

I played around quite a bit with settings and was getting about 45 on avg, not sure what the final settings are. I will check tonight and let you know.
    chopper1025x
    3x 24" monitors
    Velocity Xtreme
    AMD FX 6100 14MB (6 Cores) Black Edition Socket AM3+ Processor
    Xigmatek Scorpion HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler
    Radeon HD6970 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card
    16GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz C9 Dual Channel Memory Kit
    Asus M5A99X EVO AMD 990X (Socket AM3+) Motherboard
    Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 7K1000.C 32MB Cache SATA II Hard Disk Drive DVD-RW 22x