rear end feels unnatural

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by vilivili, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Pascalwb

Pascalwb Registered

I think in rF2 is drifting more easy than in rF1 with megane.

2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

The megane has slick tires. Slip angle is going to be very small so once you get out of that slip angle it's going to be very hard to catch the slide. I find I can control the megane in small slides VERY easily and you should.

You probably have more time with iR so you are much more used to the GPL style tire model. This tire model is much more realistic and we're only in beta. ;)

3. JonP01

JonP01 Registered

I know that in my case this is at least part of the problem. I am using a Fanatec 911 GT3 V2 with G25 pedals and quite honestly the only feedback at all I am getting in relation to the rear end is visual only (even the force feedback in relation to understeer is far too subtle, but if I try to turn it up higher it just gets overwhelmingly strong for the other aspects of the feedback. I am not used to having only a visual clue for a loss of adhesion - in every other sim I have played I have had force feedback clues, audible clues and visual clues. I'm just not feeling the tyres on the road at all in this sim - I might as well be flying a plane :).

Maybe I should fork out for an non force feedback wheel and re-learn simming without any force feedback at all.

4. hiohaa

hiohaa Registered

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2620-Rfactor-2-Beta-A-comprehensive-constructive-review.

5. JonP01

JonP01 Registered

I see successful corrections of massive oversteer routinely in the real world. The limits I am seeing in rfactor2 are much lower. By the time you even see the rear end doing anything in rFactor 2 it's all but too late. It's as if you need to have the opposite lock on even before the car even begins to think about losing the back end.

6. JonP01

JonP01 Registered

7. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

The more I drive the more I agree with you. It seems only the Megane has a rear end that can be kept in check. I don't have that feeling in the Classic Formula cars or the FR3.5. IMO, the unsung hero of this beta is the rTrainer in Dev Mode. Driving it around the Joesville short track and hanging the end out will make you grin from ear to ear, at least it does for me. That car has a very predictable oversteer. If someone hasn't already packed it up into an rFmod for the single player side, I might have to tackle it.

8. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

I have only really driven the historic cars and the rear seems very controllable with some serious moments at angles only the old tyres should allow. A brief drive with the megane and the slicks feel quite forgiving. Not seeing an issue except where the fps drop and the feel of the car falls off.

9. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I finally checked out the Dev Mode last night. The rTrainer definitely needs to be move out to single player. It was a treat to play with.

10. vilivili

vilivili Registered

if locking really gives only 70% of the maximum grip it would roughly mean that a car stopping from 100km/h in 42 meters tyres locked is actually capable to stop in less than 30 meters with optimal abs braking. sounds suspicious to me.

11. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

That's not quite how it works, but still.

I hate to bring it up but I frequently can't use my wheel and have to keyboard drive. Keep that in mind.

With no steering help or correction help and the most minimal TC I can correct slides in all the cars I've driven. With the wheel it's even easier. More, I could do it in RF1 and this sim is more forgiving than RF1. The simple answer and the likely one is you're driving too hard as other people, myself included, are more than capable of recovering from slides. Remember, too, that these are NOT drift cars and the large leery slides they achieve require special tyres and suspension and are done at very low speeds. If your car is overloaded by momentum it's unlikely you'll get it back from too far out.

12. vilivili

vilivili Registered

try page 3

13. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

To what ends?

14. coops

coops Banned

i think its great play with your wheel adjust it to suit and then adjust setup but remember this is more simulated than rf1.

15. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

Remember how slick tyres work too guys. Monumental grip until you run out. I would like to see something on road tyres to compare before making final judgments (aulthough I would imagine the rf trainer is a semi slick or even sports road tyre which could explain it)

16. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

According to the setup screen the rF Trainer runs on street tires, most likely some sort of "sport" compound as you've suggested. Anyone who hasn't tried that car should.

17. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

I actualy haven't had a go at it yet I'm keen to try it when I get home, I've felt the other cars to be positive so far (I'm a fan of smaller formula cars in general and if you take the 3.5 easy you can be quick) I'll post my personal comparison after I give the trainer a crack

18. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

The peak slip angle for a street tyre is 8 - 10+ degrees, a racing slick is 2 - 6, the difference is fairly pronounced, it's true.

19. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Well said.

20. DeM

DeM Registered

Or called Cutting and Pasting some others comments and making them sound as yours 8>)

What Car do you drive SIR ?