rear end feels unnatural

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by vilivili, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Laurent Cortier

Laurent Cortier Registered

I know it's not a reference to anybody, but a friend of mine who's racing in FIA rally here in Belgium is having a blast with the Megane, he told me many times he found her very realistic to drive. He's not versed into simracing (except some tests with RBR of course) but was immediately at ease with the Megane. He could catch his rear easily, unless of course when he totally overdid it, but he then said it was his fault, that he had made a mistake and the reaction of the car was what he expected in real life. It's funny to watch him on a track with 20 other drivers, though, he can't stand having someone in front of him, and he's very agressive with the AI :D

I tried the Formula Renault but found it undrivable compared to the Megane and even the F3 (the F1s are still too much to handle for me at the moment, they're very sensitive to the throttle input, probably like it's expected in a very powerful car without our modern electronics, so I wouldn't compare about them being tail happy.) I know they're not the same sim nor the same car, but I'd be happy with a handling close to the FW31 on iRacing, as it was the most enjoyable F1 car for me in any car game since Test Drive 1 in '87 ;)

Collision is still quite buggy though, all vehicles included.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  2. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Yes, as far as I know things aren't completely finished in that department.

3. Kiro

Kiro Registered

I hesitate to post in this thread since you guys seem to be having a war but, to answer/comment on the original question...

Speaking as a league admin, ex real racer and sometimes modder, I think what he is saying is that he doesn't feel enough of the rear to be able to control it.
    I too have this and I know how to drive.

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I've managed to catch some nasty high speed slides in one of the F1 cars at spa. I'm not disagreeing with your statement but I'm not 100% agreeing with it either. I've noticed the default rear tire pressures on these cars to be a little high though. For me anyways. I just started adjusting them today.

From what I've been reading this is a beta and things are a WIP, especially the tires.

I agree with Laurent above. I find the megane VERY predicable which I would expect a small light car to be like.

5. autodieb

autodieb Registered

Do try the trainer from the DevMode. Play around with the setup.
    I had all sorts of varying degrees of success. Just dipping the accellerator and spinning, controlling a drift through an entire corner at Joesville with the RR Formula car. Untill I get an normal FR car (BMW, Nissan), being able to setup the car to my needs and a flat track to test it one, I guess, I can't really comment on this anymore.

6. Morgan Morand

Morgan Morand Registered

Seriously, make some tips in setup like soft springs at rear or less camber in front....
    Look that :

The rear is good, completly soft.... Don't understand guys who say : it's oversteer so it's bad physics. it's oversteer caused by the default setup essentially. stop crying and drive !

7. autodieb

autodieb Registered

8. E.Neytman

E.Neytman Registered

and learn to drive, because rf1 you were not:)

9. emilblixt

emilblixt Registered

The problem as I see it so far (having mostly tried the 68´car) is that I cant seem to "feel" any weight transfer. I think this was mensioned earlier in this thread, like in real life when you enter a corner while braking, forwarding the weight and grip to the front tires and (if it starts to oversteer) balancing it by applying a little throttle and A LITTLE countersteer. Not full lock! I cant seem to do that here, throttle has no effect what so ever. I´m not saying that it cant be the car but I would assume that a car like that with no driving aids would be very susceptable to this kind of driving. If I go in to a corner while accelerating and lift off the throttle fast I should be able to cause a pretty nasty slide but I havent manage to force it into oversteer this way.

Any thoughts on this?

10. kmw

kmw Registered

Thanks Morgan, personally I did not want to blame the physics, seeing your setup and video, your steering is definitely hooked up better than mine, I just can not brake as late, enter the turns as aggressively, or control the exit without losing the rear. I DO know how to drive, so I must sort out my steering wheel setup and then the car setup, hope I can get the DFGT working as well as your G25/27, thanks again, it's good to see what is achievable :)

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Hehe. I have "Shut up and drive!" in my signature on another forum :D

I remember a few years back, that the more difficult and challenging things were, the more people were excited about them and more importantly - willing to learn. The first thing they want to improve was their own set of skills.

Nowadays many people put the blame on physics or FFB if they make mistakes while driving. Nowadays some people want everything else to change to compensate for their lack of skills.

Simracers got soft :p

But you'll see similar thing everywhere - just compare nowadays games with their casual gameplay style to oldschool games with their hardcore style.

12. gniewko

gniewko Registered

Rear end is gr8 ... please don't change anything!

13. emilblixt

emilblixt Registered

So you mean we should all just adapt to ten different behaviours depending on the physics of the sim we use?

14. emilblixt

emilblixt Registered

And no, it´s not my opinion, it´s laws of physics and basic vehicle dynamics. ALL cars behave more or less the same even if they feel a litte different.

15. vilivili

vilivili Registered

you're pretty far from original subject. easy or hard is a different thing than realistic

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

But that's exactly what I'm referring to - sometimes people prefer things to be easier and more comfortable, with no regard if they're realistic or not.

If something is unrealistic, it should be improved - sure thing.
    If something is hard - learn :)

Someone says he has problems with feeling rear end of the car - that's not enough to state it's unnatural. Especially that many others managed to learn and / or changed their car setups.

When I loose rear end of the car, I start by identifying my mistake.

17. emilblixt

emilblixt Registered

WORD!!!
    I can be great at Super Mario as well but that doesent mean I can punch through brick walls...

18. emilblixt

emilblixt Registered

You still dont get it. Its not loosing the end that´s the problem, it´s the way it´s lost, and the ways you CANT regain controll. This physics engine feels, i dont know, simple. It seems the only thing you can do is countersteer, and you have to do a LOT of it too. I get a very one dimentional feeling of the cars right now as i cant correct with throttle/steering combo.

And seriously guys, if we can put fanboyism aside for just a second we have a golden opportunity here to help evolve what is now a great racing game into a great racing SIM! Thats why we´re here! To offer feedback to the dev´s.
    "This is frekki´n awesome!!" isn´t helping progress.

19. vilivili

vilivili Registered

good post, you nailed it.

20. thuGG

thuGG Registered

This is a difficult topic.

I also noticed that when I start to slide/drift, I countersteer and I've got this slide. BUT in order to regain full control, this one countersteer is not one thing you should do. You have to straighten up the steering wheel when the car regains grip. AND many times this is the HARDEST thing to do, because you have to be lighting speed quick and very precise with that.

Of course it's car dependant, but generally many times I had something like that:
    "Ok, ok, the car is sliding, I've got it, yeah! Nope, I didn't straighten up fast enough, now im sliding the other direction!! That's it, it's over!".

I don't know if it's as it should be, because in real life I've only driven BMW 325Ci e46 and it's way more progressive than in rf2. But hey in rF2 we have racing cars.