Common questions and issues thread

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Johannes Rojola, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I thought I start this thread for random small issues and questions concerning about car modding and getting them run in the game.

1. So, how can I test my car at Joesville (track that came with Dev-version). This seems to be impossible, I can't assign my mod to drive at this track. Cant be this difficult, what I am missing? I tried to copy one of the old rF1 tracks to Locations folder, and magically this appears in the game assigned to my mod. However I can't drive because game crashes without giving any error (talking about development version...). I'm sure it is either related to car or the track, but this is impossible to find out because I cant test rF2 Trainer car at rF1 track, and I cant test my car mod at rF2 Joesville! I also looked at the .RFM file but it didn't give any clue.

Okay this is my first impression about dev'in in rF2, and it is not very inspiring one compared the ease how it worked in rF1.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I think crash is because material settings, shaders and stuff are different from rf1 and that is the reason.

I wonder if trace=4 still works?

3. dv8r

dv8r Registered

trace=4 does still work - place in the Advanced/Developer CLI Parameters box of the launcher

4. Johannes Rojola

Looks like I cant implement that command because mod dev is required to be started through the Launcher window... I tried to let the Launcher point to shortcut, and then to renamed original exe. But it doesn't work, so no luck there... I wish there would be at least some error-messages. When rF1 gave them, they were actually helpful.

EDIT:
    Ah great!

5. mianiak

mianiak Registered

6. Johannes Rojola

Lol, it is just not gonna work.. As mianiak suggested in other thread, CUBE error should refer to wrong paths, but no matter what I try I can't get the car to load. Not a single one GMT... I changed all my materials/shaders to T1 so that it should load the GMT's. I think. I made identical file/folder structure with rTrainer but no luck.

7. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Ok, can you detail all the steps your taking? or alternatively, you can send me the files and I will have a look, it would be much quicker that way.

8. Johannes Rojola

Oh thank god I solved it. I didn't realize first that I forgot to pack one of the two MAS-files with MAS2 tool... But it would not hurt to have more specific error reports :D

9. mianiak

mianiak Registered

You don't have to pack the files in the mas file to get it to work, I have had about 4 cars in game working and none of them used a mas file. One thing I did find tricky was the search paths.

Try this, Unpack the mas file into folders, add the search paths in the gen files, run the game in windowed mode, attempt to load your car, if it fails, don't click anything, go to userdata/log, (I think its there or somewhere in userdata, i cant remember off hand) in there will be a scn file created for the vehicle, its a temp scn, open it in notepad and have a look at what search paths it generated.

10. Johannes Rojola

Oh thanks, I'll try that next time. I have just this habit always packing the mas files even just small changes. Seems like I need to readjust my habits with rF2 now...

11. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Yeah, its developer mode, you want instant access to files and data and to be able to quickly load them up and run them in game without having to play around with anything else. When it comes to tweaking and such, I find myself going, tweak > load > tweak > load > etc > etc. Being able to do that fast whilst the tweaks are fresh in your mind is essential.

btw, also don't forget to remove the mas file entries from the gen files when you do this.

12. Johannes Rojola

How can I make generic cubic reflection using predefined cubemap, without any environment mapping? Everything I try results environment reflections even those are disabled from graphic settings...

13. mianiak

mianiak Registered

It should work with just the generic cube if you don't select live mapper (hence not having REFMAP0 in the reflection mapper entry). Also AFAIK, if you turn off env. reflections in the options, it should revert to the cubemap. If that is not working then it is bugged.

14. Johannes Rojola

Yes seems like this feature is in a WIP state of some sort.

15. Johannes Rojola

Another issue:

Ride Height adjustment seems to not working. Have there been some sort of change how rF handles ride height? No matter what values you enter to HDV you can see them in garage, but not on track.

16. Johannes Rojola

New issue

This is very interesting. Seems like some line spaces in HDV file can crash the loading of the car, for example if there is a line spacing between lines like this:

Code:
    UndertrayParams=

TireBrand=

...it probably will crash. Seems like in rF2 HDV-file editing is very sensitive now! I will still continue checking and report if I find something else.

UPDATE: Yes I was able to crash rTrainer by adding line space there. Well, this is quite "stupid" because clearly undertray settings and tire stuff are no way related so it would be logical to separate these into different sections by line change...

EDIT! It would be really nice if line spacing would not crash HDV, or other text files. I never experienced this in rFactor1.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  17. Johannes Rojola

And one issue again

I've lost whole day with this. I've came down in last possible reason which is that GMT is crashing when trying to load a track. However, these GMT's work fine in spinner. Trace gives me this:

Code:
    slot.cpp      540: CollisionBodyChecksum=-470518080
    All I try to do is load one single GMT in which this case is car exterior mesh. But none of the parts load, and give the same error.

18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

My knowledge of graphical stuff is fairly limited, but I got one idea which may or may not be useful, yours to decide.

Have you tried to alter parameters of collision stuff in HDV? I remember vaguely there being different modes for collision detection, which might affect the result.

I know I have seen this error with rF1, but sadly don't remember anything how I did resolve it there.

19. Johannes Rojola

Funny thing is that I already got one car working in game, and now I try to import second with exact same parameters. But no luck... I am sure it has to do something with GMT's because I one by one erased all other possibilities.

20. mianiak

mianiak Registered

This rings a bell with something I came across when I first started playing with this, I made a box car that was way to big, probably double size (I was just doing something quick to test it all out) It made me wonder if there was some sort of extents boundary. Then when jtbo mentioned collision parameters it made me think twice about it.
    Can you try reducing the size, (don't forget to reset xform if you reduce it in object mode) and try it again? try make sure it's within the 2m wide, 4m long boundary.

I'll report that hdv thing