If you are experiencing a strong noise/rattle with your controller...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael Juliano, Jan 11, 2012.

1. marcobost

marcobost Registered

Following my previous post, here is another question:
    can we consider the rF2 line:
    "Steering effects strength="1000.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all steering effects (torque, resistance, static spring, jolt, etc.)" like the old one "FFB Effects Level" of rF(1)?
    If yes, can you (Scott?) please compare the values: i.e. from 10000 to nnn = FULL, from xxx to yyy = HIGH
    Thank you

2. isamu

isamu Registered

To those with the ECCI 7000, how strong is the rattle when you go off road?

3. marcobost

marcobost Registered

My answer to myself: no... the FFB Effects Level in rF1 cuts part of the effects; the Steering effects strenght applies really to all and values change only the intensity.
    Is it correct?
    once again thank you Scott!

4. Blaktop

Blaktop Registered

Thanks for that Scott, 8 feels nice for me in the Meganes and certainly doesn't wake the other half.....cheers mate.

5. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

There are no "canned" effects in rF2 so that's why there is no "low", "medium", "high" or "full" effects level.

Remember, in rF1 low, medium, high etc meant how many "canned" effects you could feel.

Low = only road and wheels. Medium = add curbs and rumble strips. High = add throttle and brake vibration... etc.

Those are all "fake" effects (for lack of a better word).

rF2 FFB is different. I think it's much much better now. You really feel everything "naturally" :D

6. marcobost

marcobost Registered

uhmmm I have understood, thank you... so to have a similar behavior to rF(1) we must know exactly every line of the controller.ini and its related effect, so changing the right values we can filter the "noise" effect. I understand that some of these effects could be like in the real life, but I also think that every people must be free to set the effects to better suite his needs.
    No idea about the way to follow, but at the moment I think that the "rattle effect" is not like in real life or, at least is not a good way for a nice a relaxing life (for both controller and human). I agree your sentence: it's much much better now! But may I change it a little? It will be in the near future much much better than now!
    I'm really confident that ISI will be able to add few code lines or modify the current ones, so we'll have the better solution of ever!
    Thank you for time you spent for answering

7. Lantern Rouge

Lantern Rouge Registered

LOL - I worded it that way intentionally for fun. Don't worry, you won't be receiving a letter from my lawyer if my wheel breaks from too many off track excursions (although you might hear about it on the forum). Besides, I am sure you could argue that I did it to myself for not staying on track...

I do hope you will include an individual adjustment for this, as well as all of the other ffb settings, that will be accessible in game rather than having to open the controller file. I would really hate to have to devalue all of the feedback just to keep from having that ridiculous rattle. I was about to think you had not got the ffb right until I found the ability to change it to grip rather than spring (can't remember the exact terms used) in the config - why would you set the default to that?

8. Pax

Pax Registered

Interesting; you are saying rF2 runs the main physics loop at 1000 Hz then? And that you send (and receive?) FFB info at the same rate, 1000 Hz? Or do you just mean that these operations take roughly 1 ms to carry out on a typical machine?

If 1000 Hz -> something for the competition to chew on ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
  9. Sean_S36

Sean_S36 Registered

I dont see anything wrong with the default , Drive a real car onto a very bumpy off road surface and see what happens, this is how it is in real life. Only thing is I reduced FFB strength in game from 1.00 to 0.65 and it's great, So it rattles a bit if I dont grab the wheel when first entering pit , but if you got hold of the wheel its no problem.

10. brr

brr Registered

The Controller.ini contains, amongs other things, this line:

Rumble strip magnitude="1.00000" // How strong the canned rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.

I suppose lines like this may just be leftover from rF1, but its more likely that canned effects are still used.

1 person likes this.
  11. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Actually if you look closely, rumble strip magnitude= 0.00000

I just checked on both my controller.ini and my saved controller profile.ini

They are both at 0 ;)

12. OZCOL

OZCOL Registered

I had same problem with my Microsoft wheel so I changed the Steering Effect Strength to -10000 & problem fixed,

13. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Scott, which tracks from those we already have from ISI, have faked bumps only off road?

14. hiohaa

hiohaa Registered

can you please confirm the settings you were playing with?
    and i presume you still got a 'clackity rattle' when going off-road but the G25 can take it? please confirm this to be the case.

i still feel like the inside of the g25 is grinding itself apart when i go on the grass, even with the torque filter thing set to 5, but i dont know if the g25 is okay and can take it, or not.
    if it can cope with this sort of abuse, fine.

please confirM?

15. brr

brr Registered

I can't look closely at your Controller.ini. The point is that there seems to be a canned ffb effect for rumble strips, regardless of whether its used on every track or not, or regardless of whether you have disabled it or not.

16. Tiger

Tiger Registered

why do I have the feeling that anything we could report won't change anything in the next release?
    I have this strange feeling that it's packed already...
    please tell me that I'm wrong!

17. Tiger

Tiger Registered

where did you fix that value?
    not in the game, it can't go lower than 0 ...

18. Raikku

Raikku Registered

Anyone use CSR Elite? Is that "8" good value for it?

19. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

My friend, the Devs have stated in this thread that the only fake effects are the grass. not the rumble strip.

20. Valerio Kinex

Valerio Kinex Registered

i don't want to destroy my g25.
    i hope they put a checker to disable grass effect.