Forced to use real names on servers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by argl, Jan 11, 2012.

1. NoClue48

NoClue48 Registered

What's facebook???

2. Jack B

Jack B Registered

If you show up at a real track and someone say's, "Ok, name please" and you say, "NotURDaddy" they won't accept it.

iRacing is trying to legitimize sim racing more than in the past and get away from the idea it's a bunch of kids goofing around after school. At age 53, that appeals to me. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but any rFactor league that still uses, "NotURDaddy" type names seems a little more junvenile to me. Plus, using your real name can make some people think a bit more about what they say or do. Not everyone, but it does make a wee bit of difference with some...

3. RBRacing

RBRacing Registered

iRacing's out to make money out of people, and is a very restrictive sim for those who don't have much money and can't afford to pay month after month and car after car etc. iRacing's forcing of people to use real names does'nt make it anymore legitimate or 'adult' also. If anything, it's reckless, as it puts people at risk of identity or credit card theft and other nasty stuff. All that kinda info should be encrypted and used for invoice only.
    I'm a recent convert to Rfactor 1 public servers, and I've found people there to be very friendly and sending me setups etc, even if english was'nt their first language. No real names, but its the internet, so there does'nt need to be, and its not what you're called, but what you do, and your online rep that matters :)

4. Alhazred

Alhazred Registered

Legitimized to what end though?Why would anyone care if it's legitimate?It's just a game.

I like to think of it as a bunch of adults goofing around after work,because that's what I'm doing.

5. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

I'm not convinced that Identity theft via the use of ones real name on a website like Facebook, or an online game like iRacing or rF2 is a dangerous as any other activity where one must use their real name during the course of everyday life. There are many more opportunities to have your info stolen without even logging into the internet.

Think about all the time you have use a debit or credit card in everyday non-web life. CC readers are cheap, so its not beyond reason that the waiter at your favorite restaurant, the cute coffee stand girl, or the minimum wage lacky working the drive through window at the Taco Hut could all swipe that CC info from you.

Hack groups like Anonymous have breached CC companies and stolen info that was supposed to be encrypted.

The best defense against Identity theft is minimizing exposure, using a pseudonym online is only one step, but it's not enough. Keeping tabs on your credit history, bank transactions, ect. is the real way to fight it.

6. David G Fisher

David G Fisher Registered

Literally billions have had their real names AND addresses in phonebooks over the past hundred years or so without their lives being completely destroyed, yet, somehow, having to use your real name in rF2 can lead to tragedy. :confused: Some of you have an extremely inflated sense of self worth.

7. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

It's got nothing to do with self worth.

PS, not everyone has their details in phonebooks, there is such a thing as a 'silent address'.

8. Eaglerapids

Eaglerapids Registered

You're probably right brabham67 but that's the way I felt when I first saw what was going on.

9. Blaktop

Blaktop Registered

I can't believe that this thread is still going. It's sole purpose was to let ISI that not everyone was comfortable using their real world name.....for a variety of reasons. I've said it before, if you don't have a problem go find a thread where you can give relevant feedback. I've said this before too.....I want to be able to race under Blaktop.....I've been doing it for 12 years.....I have nothing to hide.....I just want to be able to maintain contact with the (literally) 100s of people who know me as Blaktop. I would also like to be able to edit the online nick for league compatibility reasons.

10. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Agreed Blacktop.
    rFactor is all about the ability to customize the sim to suit.
    If you're happy using your real name, fine.
    If not, it can be changed quite easily.
    If you say changing your name is too hard/ tricky/ doesn't work etc, then maybe rF is not for you.
    But please don't jump on ones high horse and berate someone about their choice.

11. Powderking

Powderking Registered

I'd like to see realnames on the raceservers too.
    Probably the option to change ones realname to a faked realname permanently should be possible.
    In our league we want all drivers to enter the servers with their realnames, even on teamspeak and the forum. We once had a driver who didn't want to share his realname so he entered as Fred Flintstone.
    This is just a personal flavour like I'd rather have green trees next to the track instead of blue ones. But at the end they don't make the sim better or worse.

12. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

the CHOICE must be ours. period.

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

And what if not happened?

14. ORA-Quasi

ORA-Quasi Registered

Ignoring the conspiracy theorists, and finger pointers for a moment, what about the online racing communities that have used racing names on their forum and race servers for years?

Some have a rule that your racing name and forum name be at least closely recognisable to each other. Now, using real names, it's a whole different story.

Keep in mind it's dead easy to have your racing name appear in RF2, but the concern is that updates will be unobtainable without changing it back. For instance, my racing nick may stop my install of RF2 receiving updates, as the system sending me the update is looking for my real name (as that is what I purchased RF2 under).

On the other hand, if updates are available as a downloadable file I can install myself, then it doesn't really matter at all.

15. Sean_S36

Sean_S36 Registered

Real names +1

16. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I mentioned this somewhere in the midst of this thread.

Sim Racing Australia has this implemented - our on-track name is linked to our website account. When we upload results to our database, it then appears in your 'racing statistics' account.

We're talking over 5 years worth of statistics with an average of 60 races per driver per season. With around 60 active drivers per season, over 12 series per year, and over 300 members, I'll be damned if we have to overhaul the system and transfer statistics to different user names for each member etc.

17. ORA-Quasi

ORA-Quasi Registered

Yeah, sorry mate. I haven't read every post, but rather skimmed over many to get an idea of what was being posted.

This instance on it's own presents a strong case against the forcing of real names upon members of a community.

18. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

MS7XWDC

John
    Smith
    MS7XWDC

is this the original format ?

19. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

When people use their real names online they tend to act more civil.

20. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I have experienced people in open servers, using their real name, doing some very uncivil acts.
    An idiot will always be an idiot.
    They just can't help themselves.